Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Remote plot question

whitetailnut

So I have a 3 acre sanctuary that we never set foot in except for a few days shed hunting and I am going to plant a small food plot in the middle of it strictly for deer nutrition not to hunt over. Since I want this to be a minimal intrusion plot what would you guys recommend planting in early summer that I could let go with zero maintenance and will provide as much food as far into the winter as possible. Im thinking brassicas but curious what anyone else would try.

Give me some more info about the plot itself, size, shade or full sun, sandy, clay, accessable to equipment???

roughly the size of a two stall garage. cleared a lot of overhanging limbs today. will get 70% sun all summer long. Soil is decent loam with a little sand. Has a few pines growing nearby, but I overlimed it today. Should be a pretty good growing canvas. I would prefer to start it with buckwheat and then switch to something else. But I want a one trip planting that will last as far into winter as possible. No equipment, cept what I can carry. Can get the quad to within 100 yards. How early can you plant brassicas?? Other thought was milo???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How early can you plant brassicas?? Other thought was milo??? </div></div>

First...do you know if deer in that area will readily accept brassicas? Brassicas should be planted in late July to early August but if deer reject them you'll be left in the cold on the whole deal.

Secondly brassicas need full sun, lots of moisture and nitrogen so they may not fare well in that type of a spot.

Milo is the same thing

I would use rye and oats and maybe throw a few brassicas in to see how deer react to them.

In a spot like that deer will not be able to pass up the green rye which will attract all winter long. Brassicas will eventually succumb to the cold while winter rye will not.

Rye can survive low moisture, poor PH and some shade and little or no fertilizer while the opposite is true for brassicas.

That's my thoughts..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

thanks for the help dbltree. yes the deer by me LOVE brassicas. With rye, can you plant it earlier in the summer or are you saying dont seed anything till late summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With rye, can you plant it earlier in the summer or are you saying dont seed anything till late summer. </div></div>

No...it will get to mature, rank and unpalatable as will oats, what or triticale.

Plant the last week of August at the earliest but use plenty of nitrogen if you want fast lush growth that will keep up with heavy grazing.

Check in the cereal grain thread in the food plot links to see how quickly rye grows and why deer soon wouldn't find it attractive if planted to early... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I doubt that being the size of a two stall garage that rye would get too tall even if planted early. Just loafing around in the area it wouldn't take too many deer to keep it down to nothing. I agree it would be best choice but it is going to look like a golf green.

Top Bottom