Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What should I do??

There are a total of 30 acres of tillable ground on my lease of which 3 acres are designated mine for foodplots. The last few years the farmer has been rotating between beans and corn but this spring he is converting it to alfalfa. My food plots are currently Alice clover and it doesn't make much sense to me to have both. So my question is, if he is going to have 30 acres of alfalfa now is my clover even worth keeping and if not, what should I plant in those 3 acres instead? Thanks
STEVE

If the 30 acres was in one block, I might consider putting something else in. One thought would be to break the plot into thirds and have a variety. Maybe RR beans in the spring and then break the plot into wheat and brassicas in the fall with a late bean plot. If you don't have the time or equipment then may just leave as a clover plot.

Having 30 acres of alfalfa is a good deal, the deer hammered our alfalfa this past fall! I can see your point on having clover to compete, just doesn't seem like you'd have a chance at winning that battle. Might give a cereal grain a try, rye/oats combo??

I would turn your clover plot into a brassica plot for the fall. I planted 2 acres of Imperial Whitetail Winter Greens on my farm this year and they were literally GONE by mid November. I am going to be planting 6-8 acres of brassicas this year.

For THREE acres, I'd put in RR soybeans as the easiest plot to manage.

Otherwise, when the farmer mows his alfalfa, you got the hottest thing going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrible problem to have /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Kill the clover and no till corn. </div></div>

I would try to take advantage of the clover for sure but almost anything that uses nitrogen would benefit.

Corn, brassicas, cereal grains (rye, oats and peas) would be great options.

Can't argue with soys either...just a matter of what you can plant if equipment etc. is a problem? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dont know what is close to you regarding other grains. But I think I would go brassicas for a more late season colder weather plot.

They should stay into the alfalfa as long as its green and then some. Say mid october? Summer scouting will really be easy if you can see this from a distance.

If you go the RR Soys you have a nice option as well. If they hammer the soys early you will know it and still have the option for rye/oats or a brassica mix. However, the beans will eat alot of the nitrogen up that the clover left behind.

Good luck.

I'd be another one for the beans, 3 acres is about the MINIMUM so I hope they don't hammered too bad- what I would ADD to what folks said is POSSIBLY going around the edges where the deer killed the beans and maybe planting something in August around edges- winter wheat, turnips, rye, etc.
I'm personally not a fan of brassicas (some folks LOVE THEM!) just because too many cases I've seen where deer didn't touch em for whatever reason. they are guaranteed to hit beans and another choice planting you plant in August (so now you'd have THREE things- alfalfa, soy beans and whatever else- deadly combo!!!)

Top Bottom