Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sugar Beets

WhitetailWarrior

Just wondering if any of you guys have used sugar beets in your food plots? Looking for any info I can get..... Where to buy good quality seed? Planting dates? Best method of planting, broadcast or drill? Seeding rate? Thanks for any help you guys can give...

Just wondering if any of you guys have used sugar beets in your food plots? Looking for any info I can get..... Where to buy good quality seed? Planting dates? Best method of planting, broadcast or drill? Seeding rate? Thanks for any help you guys can give...

Funny you should ask because I will be testing sugar beets this year myself, both RR sugar beets and conventional so I'll start a thread on the subject that hopefull will answer your all questions....

I'll pst the thread in dbltree's corner so it will always be readily available when people have questions.

Thanks for bringing it up so I'll get off my duff and get busy! :grin:

Look forward to hearing back from you all. I am going to do them 2010 depending on what I hear back. Wonder the difference in deer preference from Turnips and if they have some of the same ups and downs. With Turnips, I've had 2 years in a row where deer didn't touch them (3rd year is the ticket!) and wondering if the sugar beets can ALSO have the cases where deer don't touch them for a year or 2 until they get a taste.
I do know you plant much earlier (spring VS many times planting turnips in August) BUT alot is similar. RR vs conventional, will be interesting. Optimum plot size, want to make sure enough is planted so they last!???? (for me I would GUESS I have to plant at least an acre MINIMUM). Man, can't wait to get the report!!!
*some things I do know- don't plant too heavy on seed- you can over seed them (little beets will be the result)- go by the label. Loves nitrogen & I think they like similar soil conditions. I hope they are easy to plant like turnips. Good luck.

Top Bottom