Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rain barrels

Daver

PMA Member
Through my work I will occasionally have 55 gallon plastic drums available, in fact I have about 5 or 6 available right now. For the most part these barrels would have had relatively environmentally friendly glycol in them. I plan on cutting the top off of one and using it to gather rain water that I will then use to water my apple trees in the summer. I have only 6 apple trees now and they are in a row, spaced out about 25' from each other. FWIW, I plan on adding another "row" of 6 this fall.

At any rate, I thought it would work well to gather rain water in a barrel that I will place in the center of the trees and then use a hose connected to the bottom of the barrel to gravity feed water out to the trees. I was planning on covering the top of the barrel with a wire mesh of some sort to keep birds and other crap out of the water, but I am pretty much making this up as I go.

I figure that 2 or 3 gallons of water a couple of times throughout the driest part of the summer should be helpful. Has anyone else tried such a thing, are there any tips to consider, etc???

Alternatively, I could just fill up several 5 gallon buckets from a nearby pond and then manually water these trees a few times this summer, but the barrel idea seems handier...

Also, if people are interested and they do not mind waiting until there are available barrels, I would be willing to supply barrels to folks that need them.

Daver,
This is just a guess, but you may want to consider trying to fab up some sort of collection funnel for the top of the barrels if at all possible. Without it, I'm guessing it will take quite some time to fill the barrels. You may end up losing more through evaporation than you gain. I've never tried it before, but I have given the idea some thought in the past. My grandpa always said, "work smarter, not harder".

Top Bottom