Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

And he is gone……

Outdoor Family

Well, my oldest son (in avatar) left to discover a new world. He left late last week for Alaska, following a dream of many years. I give him a lot of credit going to alone. He walked off the plane in Anchorage, met with an outfitter and boom…on his way to the island of Kodiak. He will be working in the hunting and fishing camp and learning a lot. Not sure if he wants to do it the rest of his life, but at least it will be crossed off his life list. He is looking forward to the fly fishing, 1st mate on the halibut boat, mountain goat hunting and oh yea the HUGE brown bears. His mother and have lost some sleep knowing he is living in their home. He is a smart kid and we ask the big guy upstairs to keep a watch over him. I will post some pick when he sends them, but he is out of service until July 20th, and I can’t wait for that call….

Congrat's to your son for having the courage to challenge himself at something he's obviously more than interested in, especially at such a young age. How many of us now that we're older wish we would have had his independence and drive to take on something similar when we were his age. I wish him the best of luck!!

He's doing it at a time when he can do it. Most of us get wrapped up in our jobs and families and can't or won't have an opportunity like that. He'll come back with a lifetime full of good memories and adventures to tell his kids someday.

Kudos to the young lad........

Very cool - especially AK, what an awesome experience for him. I lived there for 5 years and it changed me forever - that place is unbelievable. He's going to absolutely love it - especially on Kodiak. I'm sure it's very hard to think about him so far away, but on a good note, him living there is a HUGE bonus for you too - if you don't already know - after he's been there a year and is legally considered a resident, you can go up there and hunt with him for brown bear, goats, and sheep and not have to pay a guide like a normal NR would have to do for those 3 animals ($8-12K average). Everything else in AK you can hunt without a guide as a NR, but those 3 things require a guide unless your hunting with a second degree of kindred relative.

There are good people in AK, he'll be alright!

He will talk about this for the rest of his life. I went to Alaska and worked on a commercial fishing boat. I have done several other off-the-wall things too, and I have never regretted it. Best wishes to him. I am sure you will be able to stay connected with all the technology available these days. COngrats to your son for following his dream.

I'll bet most of us on here are wishing we would have done something like that when we were his age. It's one of those things he will learn alot from and always remember.

I am jealous..tell him congrats!!

Matthew 6:25-26

hoofline.gif

ELITE ARCHERY: GTO, GT500, E-FORCE

01_ELITE_ARCHERY_6.gif
398ibalogo_1_-1.gif
lonewolf.jpg
predator_hat_mesh_fg_big.jpg
asat.jpg
badlands70.jpg
sitka_logo.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wonder 100 times a day what he is doing at that moment. Of course now my wife wants me to finish my degree at the UAF while she works at the hospital.....hmmm move from Michigan to Iowa through Alaska...

Nice to follow his dreams .He'll never regret it when hes a older ! Would be nice to be able to sit back and think what that was like 20 yrs from now :)

What an adventure for your son! It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and a supportive, loving family - there's not much more you can ask for. Best of luck to him in his endeavor!

-Longspurs-

Good luck to your son!

Wow, these poignant posts from fathers watching their sons graduate, "leave the nest", etc, are REALLY tough to read...knowing I am probably ONLY 2 years away from my oldest son doing the same. (Insert gremlin of me crying here.)

Man they grow up fast, all I can say is that for all the young fathers out there...spend the time, invest the effort, do whatever it takes to help mold your own sons and daughters into similar citizens and fine young men and women that we are able to read about here.

Thanks for posting, even if I do have to have a cry now! :) You have much to be proud of!

Top Bottom