Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Be careful out there

BJohnson

Just a brief reminder about the dangers of corn intersections this time of year. This past Saturday, my 17 yr. old son was one of two vehicles involved in a severe collision at an uncontrolled gravel intersection. Tall corn on three of the four sides of the intersection contributed to the accident. Both drivers had slowed but neither my son nor the other driver had stopped and BJ took a direct drivers side door hit to my Blazer at what was estimated to be about 40-45 mph. Both front and back doors on the drivers side ended up inside the frame rails of the Blazer and the passenger side doors were even sprung bad enough you cannot open them.

By the grace of God he was spared and came away with a bruised kidney and a couple other more minor injuries. Really cannot understand how he did not get hurt worse as he took an really, really hard hit. However, I wanted to say to other members of IW, especially those with kids behind the wheel, to please be careful this time of year and to also share with your kids what extra precautions should be taken this time of the year. My family does not live in the country so I had probably not reiterated with my son such precautions enough. But road construction took him off the normal route and put him on that gravel road at the wrong time. Fortunately he is getting a second chance.

Glad to hear things are ok, Brent!

Prayers for a speedy recovery are sent!

Thoughts and prayers are with him. I had a similiar accident last year, but a loaded cement truck ran through a yield and totaled my 2008 F-350. He said he couldnt see me, but yet ran the yield going about 45-50. I walked out of the truck somehow, but it sure is dangerous. Again, thoughts and prayers are with him. Everyone sure be safe!

Having a teenage driver out there is a constant worry indeed, and we can't talk about these kind of situations too much. Glad to hear your son is OK.

NWBuck

Brent i'm glad to hear your son is ok.I hope he heals up quick.We have a few of those intersections out by where we live and I hate them this time of year.

BLind corn intersection west of Forest city... A friend of mine took a direct hit 44 days ago and is just now beginning to come out of a coma. Massive brain injuries and it is still unclear how much recovery he will have. His name is Dick Quayle and his five kids and all his friends covet your prayers.

Be careful out there.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread BJ... just be grateful it wasn't worse is the point. Best wishes to your boy.

Thoughts and prayers are with your boy BJ
and your friend Iowa1.

Hope they both have are very speedy recovery.

Iowa1,

A wise individual shared with me in the past couple days that one never understands why some walk away and some are not so lucky. I hope and pray your friend recovers. I know how lucky my son was on Sat. He seems to be fully aware also but like most teens is not real verbal about it yet. In due time we will discuss it in more detail when the time is right.

T's & P's for Mr. Quayle and his family.

Last edited:
I've definately had my fair share of close calls at those intersections. Bad deal indeed. Glad everything is okay.

A week and a half-two weeks ago I guess there were a couple of kids killed at an interesection blinded by corn while they were on a go cart. They were hit by a pick-up up in the Sumner Fredericksburg area. Some dangerous stuff!

Thoughts and Prayers sent to your family Brent and also to you friend and his family Iowa1.

Top Bottom