Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LaCrosse Rubber boots

houston

Picked up a new pair of LaCrosse rubber boots and for the life of me I can not get rid of the smell of the moulded rubber, Ideas Please. Thanks Jeff~

I washed a pair last year with warm water and scent free soap. Rinsed with cool water then smeared 1/2 a box of baking soda on each and let set.

Still had a doe trail me to the tree opening day, but she will never tell... :grin:

Wear your leather boots..............After enough years of hunting I'm convinced that the difference between rubber boots and your regular hunting boots isn't enough to make a difference. Any deer over 2 years of age is going to be able to tell where you walked in. JMO
CRITTER

Wear your leather boots..............After enough years of hunting I'm convinced that the difference between rubber boots and your regular hunting boots isn't enough to make a difference. Any deer over 2 years of age is going to be able to tell where you walked in. JMO
CRITTER

I had a conversation with a buddy about this just yesterday. He was saying that he read a study where researchers had someone wear rubber boots and walk through a specific area and then had the same person wear their regular work boots. Two hours later they then let a trained bloodhound (similar nose to a whitetails nose?) try to track the scent trail. The bloodhound tracked both scent trails (rubber and reg. boots) in a similar time. Maybe wearing rubber boots really doesn't help much? :confused:

Early season I wear my leather boots, late season I wear rubber boots for the main reason that they are 1200 gram insulated, so their warm.

If you don't want a deer trailing you to the stand, you better get a parachute instead of rubber boots. :grin:

I hammer them with Coon urine cover scent and let them dry. Then hit them again with Dead Down Wind to knock down the Coon Urine and let dry again. I've had mature bucks come right down the trail I came in on with no indication of being spooky.

I agree you'll never eliminate your trail, but I do think rubber will contain foot odors better and leave less scent than leather.

It's a common misconception that rubber boots are 100% scent free. They are only considered scent free because they keep human odor inside the boot, opposed to leather boots that will breath and leach out human odor on the material of the boot. Rubber boots will not. Will a deer still smell rubber boots, yes, will it alarm them? Depends on the deer..... I can't wear rubber boots because they offer little to no ankle support. Either case, I try to plan my route to and from the tree as carefully as possible.

Mine are two years old and I have washed them several times, worn in the mud, cow manure, used scent away spray. They still smell. Like the guys said above, at least it isn't human body odor. Still might spook 'em. Especially is they bust you and start associating that smell to people.

Good luck

let them soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water for about a week. I've done this in the past and it works pretty well.

Oh man, now I find out deer are afraid of the smell of rubber. No wonder I haven't been shooting any big bucks lately. I have been driving to hunt in a truck with rubber tires. Stupid me.

I would hose them down real good inside and out. Let them sit outside to air out. Spraying them with scent killer usually really helps too.

When I bought my pair a few years, I took a clean 5gal pail poured a box of baking soda in with cold water and stuffed both boots in. Left sit for a few days, pulled out rinsed 3 or 4 times and left dry in the sun. Sprayed down repeatedly with scent killer for a couple of days, every time I walked by them I would spray each one with 3 or 4 mists. Didnt smell anymore.
Good luck.

I had a conversation with a buddy about this just yesterday. He was saying that he read a study where researchers had someone wear rubber boots and walk through a specific area and then had the same person wear their regular work boots. Two hours later they then let a trained bloodhound (similar nose to a whitetails nose?) try to track the scent trail. The bloodhound tracked both scent trails (rubber and reg. boots) in a similar time. Maybe wearing rubber boots really doesn't help much? :confused:

I believe the study was done in a recent Field and Stream issue. After reading the article there may be some truth to it but I don't really know so much about their "scientific methods." They were also using a trained police dog for what it's worth.

Are the deer and the tracking dog smelling the boot or the thousands of skin cells a person constantly sheds?

"Either case, I try to plan my route to and from the tree as carefully as possible."

Yep!

Top Bottom