Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what to do?

RichardM

About a hour before dark tonight i seen a huge buck about 500 yards across the feild by a big sink hole, i gave a few grunts and he just looked my way then a hit the horns a few times he looked my way for five minutes or so and walked away.after ten minutes or so he returned to the same spot and it looked like he made a scrape and licking branch, i think all together he stayed there about a half hr.so my ? is should i go over there tomarrow early afternoon and put a stand in a tree close to were i seen him and hunt it then and or take my boss buck to piss him off at his scrape or just sit in my old stand and wait and see if he comes by sooner or later. any advice on what you would do.:confused:

I don't like decoys, so my advice would be sneak in, hang the stand and jump in it and hunt. If you have a portable stand like a muddy or a lone wolf, take it and then bring it back out with you when you leave. I love the "fresh" sits, and it seems like the deer get into a pattern where they avoid my stand sites after I have hunted them a few times.

In a week or 10 days he may respond much differnt. If it is a low pressure area, you may just keep tabs on him and get back in there when the wind is right.

Is he bedding by/in the sink hole? Go easy...

Wind is key! Last year I had this same situation on a big buck. I watched him one morning for 15 minutes in one spot, I didnt call to him or alert him whatsoever, just waited for him to leave and later that day went in and hung a stand, next time I had the right wind was thursday morning, got in the stand and killed him in the first hour, 174 inch 9 point, I would not use the decoy, if he is comfortable, just let him do his thing and kill him when he hits that scrape, its not a fluke he did it once you just have to be there next time he does it. Good Luck brother!!

Top Bottom