Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jody shot a good one

glasgowm

I just got a call from Jody Hadacheck and he just shot a good buck. He asked me to post something here for him. I'll let him tell you the story but it's a good buck and he watched it drop.

CONGRATS Jody!!!!

Matthew

Hey guys, I was really blessed today and shot a nice buck. I made a five yard shot on him and he dropped within 20 yards. I'll tell the story after I get some good pics for you to look at. It's been a busy day!!

This season for me has proved to be quite interesting. Like many others in the midwest, the above-normal temperatures and easterly winds have made the hunting tough. I waited all year in anticipation for the magic month of November, and had found a fantastic location for a ladder stand between bedding areas back in March and put a stand against the tree. Once I found that tree I told myself I'd tag out from that exact location. All I needed was the right wind and temperatures. Unfortunately that wasn't the case with those pesky east winds, which was pretty darned depressing. For the last few weeks I had this vision of a large buck walking out of one of those bedding areas to my stand and making a good shot to put him down. I made plans to put in a half personal day from my teaching job on Friday, November 6th several weeks in advance so I could hunt that stand. Being a school teacher I don't have the ability to take a week's vacation off and I must make due with what I can. All I needed was some luck to have the weather work out for me. Unfortunately as the week drew near the forecast was NOT in my favor. 75 degrees and southeast winds. Absolutely terrible for that location, and I immediately re-scheduled my half day off for Monday the 9th. There was a change in weather coming, a high in the upper 50s and cloudy with rain possible. The wind was supposed to change and blow from the northeast. That easterly wind made it a very tough decision to hunt this stand, and that nagging voice in the back of my mind kept me wondering whether to hunt it or another stand approx. 300 yards away. However, I knew what the deer in this area generally do, and I also knew how much I could push the envelope and how much I couldn't. Plus that gut feeling was there that this could be the day. Ultimately, I decided to go with the ladder stand set because the northerly breeze might just be enough to keep me out of trouble.....now it was up to me.

The first few hours of the day couldn't go fast enough on Monday. Once the sub came in for me, I hauled it home and had a big surprise - my absolutely wonderful wife, whom I'm VERY lucky to have, met me at the door with a huge smile, she had packed a lunch, and was carrying my bow case and tote tubs to my vehicle to save me some time. I went inside, showered to de-scent, and headed off. I was settled in the stand by 1:45 and my plan was to just sit quietly until primetime, when the does that walk the trails in front of my stand hopefully would bring a buck with them. I didn't want to really advertise I was there with any calling, so I sat back and listened to the squirrels, turkeys, and just the peaceful silence of the outdoors. It was great. At 2:28, I decided what the heck and tried one short rattling sequence and a couple grunts. For good luck, I brought Alicia's rattling antlers with me this time and used those. I no sooner put the calls up when I saw movement in front of me and to the right. I immediately knew it was a shooter buck (for my standards, anyway). Here is where the best part of this hunt comes into play - he was waking fast, bristled up, and his ears were back. He was MAD. He didn't even pause to go around low hanging branches, he was just breaking them off anytime one was in his way. Nothing was going to stop him from getting involved in the fight and winning it. He passed at point blank range in front of the ladder, and passed behind a small cedar. I drew my bow and stopped him at a mere five yards. I touched off the shot and the arrow hit perfectly. He jumped, and slowly trotted 20 yards away. He turned and I could see the blood pouring out of the exit wound and I could tell he was done. After standing there for a few moments, he bedded down and it was over - the Muzzy MX4 dit its job and no tracking job was needed. An incredible hunt!! I called my wife and a few friends, and thanked the good Lord who made it all possible. I wish I could say I had a history with this deer and found his sheds, but that's not the case. I have no idea where he came from and I don't care, he got a ride home in the back of my truck and I couldn't be more proud. More than anything, I trusted my gut feeling this was the stand to hunt and the one rattling sequence I tried with those lucky antlers sealed the deal. I'm sorry about the quality of the photo, it was all I had time for; I'll try and get some better ones.....I think I'll call this buck "Thrasher".

jody2009.jpg

jodybuckdark.jpg

Awesome story Jody!!! Sounds like you had several people pulling for you to have a good hunt. All your scouting paid off buddy!! Congrats on a great deer.

"and thanked the good Lord who made it all possible" :way:

Outstanding buck Jody! She made lunch and packed your bow and totes in the truck???? I brag my wife up because she starts the season with polite, understanding smile but that turns to a glare by the end of a long season. Our wives put up with alot but to have a wife that shares your passion must be a wonderful feeling.

Congrats again!

Top Bottom