Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.62 Flintlock makes meat

Shovelbuck

This morning was quite an experience. When I built my flint fowler last summer the plan was to use it for small game and deer. Today she put venison in the freezer.
Our gun season started yesterday and it's a season I generally don't hunt. 9 days of road hunting poachers is what it's turned into in my area. I decided what the heck, I wasn't bow hunting this year and needed some venison in the freezer. I hadn't shot a deer in two years!
I've been shooting the gun quite a bit anywhere from 25 out to 75 yards and am quite amazed as to the accuracy that can be achieved with one of these smoothies. 25 yards is three holes usually touching, 50 yards opens up to around 3 inches, and even at 75 yards, it's not too difficult to keep them inside 5 inches!
I thought long and hard about posting this as it seems that most deer posted here are monsters, so before anybody gets there shorts in a bunch I want to say I made a promise to myself last year that I was done chasing mature bucks only, and was hunting deer to have fun again. For me, that means challenging myself in other ways. Generally by using antique weapons, or copies of them. I've shot only two bucks in the last 10 or more years so I have absolutely no regrets for putting this guy in the freezer.
Anyway, here is this mornings trophy for me..............
A fat, good eating buck taken at 75 or so yards with a .62 cal. flintlock smoothbore, built with my own hands, no blind, no camo, just a plain old fashioned hunt.

Nov15buck-1.jpg

15Nov2009-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Kudos Jay!

That is a big accomplishment, building a gun and taking a deer with it.

Awesome event!

Jay, your attitude and pictures are inspiring to me. I too believe hunting is about the experience and the harvest. Congrats on the buck, it doesn't have to be big to be special.

Awesome job...not too many people will go out and challenge themselves like that anymore so i commend you for that. And you're right...that's meat in the freezer. Congrats.

Staying in line with your "Old-days ways", its only fitting that you hunt like they did back then. Very few trophy hunters existed back then. Filling the meat pole was the main objective and it looks like old trusty proved herself very deadly! It had to be a great feeling to see him lying there when the smoke cloud cleared. Congrats Jay! :way:

Top Bottom