Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

yearlings with their mothers late in the season

iowabucks

It seems like this year i saw alot of yearling deer with their mothers late in the season. I thought the bucks are supposed to chase the little ones off when breeding begins?

All the way up until shotgun season most does i saw still had their little ones with them.

Could be that the does had twins and the doe fawn was still with the mother. I'm sure once in awhile both twins are does as well. I saw a bunch of lone fawns, probably button bucks, during the bow season. Interestingly, I even watched a doe kick the crap out of a fawn that tried to chase her during the heart of the rut. I laughed, and assumed it was her fawn.

I saw a few of those as well after Thanksgiving and some during the peak rut. I did see a couple sets all alone during the peak rut as well. I questioned the same thing. Guess Mama just didn't come into heat? Not sure.

From what I have seen, the young ones get kicked off when the doe comes in heat, but they may join back up afterwards.

Top Bottom