Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long for TSI?

Liv4Rut

I was wondering how long would it take for trees that have been runged (sp?) with a chainsaw to start falling down and providing good cover for deer?

On the last morning of bow season before shotgun I took off work and decided I was going to hunt this public that always looked great but it was about a 1.5mile walk. All I had was a GPS waypoint and a vision of the popular tree I was going to hunt after spying it during shed season the last two years.

Anyways I get up to the ridge and to my suprise over 75 trees had been runged with a chainsaw and the only ones standing were two oaks and a some really small trees. The tree I was going to hunt actually was completely cut down. Talk about bad luck. This is a wide open ridge now, but I am hoping it will thicken up once these trees start falling. I actually think it is going to be dynamite, but was just wondering how long you thought it would take? Its a good spot regardless, just will be better.

It depends a lot on species, the depth of the cut, and the status of the individual tree in general.

White oak has strong ties between vessel elements in the wood (tyloses) that create a lot of strength and inhibit rot, which allow them to decay slower and stay standing longer after being girdled. That is just one example of a number of structural differences in wood between various tree species.

If the tree has heart rot, it is more likely to fall down as well. Also, the shape and size of the cut area is influencing as it will affect how vulnerable the trees are to windthrow.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that it is pretty variable. However, the increased light to the understory next spring should facilitate understory growth which will help in terms of cover.

Hope that helped a little bit.

wondering how long you thought it would take?

It can take years for the trees themselves to actually fall, it's a slow process with limbs falling first and eventually the whole tree.

As DWilk mentioned however, providing the trees were girdled deep enough, the trees should die right away and sunlight will bring about a flush of undergrowth that will change the now open understory markedly....:way:

It took almost 3 years for mine to fall, but I have a similar question for those of you that have had TSI work done. The TSI I had done wasn't as extensive as I thought it would be, the "bad" trees were killed, but my timber is dense with smal/pole sized hickory in areas with 3-5 inch diameter or just over that. This throws a dense shade in parts of my timber and I have prickly ash gaining hold. I was going to go through and do a further clearing of these hickories hoping to get some sun and start seeing small oaks growing vs. prickly ash. My concern was the number of small hickories left on the ground and is it really worth it. I'm hoping to knock back the pr ash by doing this. These are in areas that are tough for me to get to and use for firewood unfortunately...I'm talking 12 acres or so that are like this. Anyone have experience with this?

That size hickory is idea for hinge cutting to thicken up bedding areas, (check the edgefeathering thread) and they are very easy to tip over.

I hinge them about 3' high cutting thru just far enough to tip them over. Hickories are very shade tolerant and if you don't keep after them the oak seedlings won't have a chance.

Burning is another way to help control shade tolerant trees because oaks are resistant to fire...;)

I'll go back through my TSI and areas that are not thick enough, I'll hinge cut some JUNK trees I didn't kill before. It took my place ONE YEAR to get a ton thicker (one summer of sunlight). I continually thin some areas on my place too- hickory is a prime example.

Thanks for the responses. The EF pics are comforting to know that they help bedding areas, because I have been hesitating clearing these hickories because of the "tornado damage" that it will look like when I'm done...but it appears that could help the deer/buck picture creating that type of environment. Can't wait to see it this fall. Thanks again...

Top Bottom