Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Adding peas to my fall winter rye planting has always been a little like adding candy to a kids dinner plate...sure bet they'll show up at the dinner table! :D

I planted both Austrian Winter Peas and 4010 Field Peas to compare them only because field peas are half the price and found that on all three farms they grubbed them to the ground at equal rates.

I also found that I could plant peas at over 80#'s per acre because deer grazed them so rapidly and competition with the cereals was never a problem.

Of all the tests and comparisons my biggest surprise what the fact that the forage radishes proved to be "candy" just like the peas. Like any brassicas the radishes have the potential to get fairly tall and the roots very deep but like the peas, deer never allowed them to get more them 6-8" tall before mowing them to the ground.

I also tested various nitrogen application rates, applied at even extreme high rates of 200#'s per acre and higher in some places and compared deer usuage in these test strips with 100#'s of urea and none.

Deer grazed the rye and other forages in the mix all equally but the heavily fertilized areas were of course able to produce more forage per acre. Somthing to keep in mind if you have high deer densities or intense grazing do to lack of other crops or forages.

Applying nitrogen solely for the purpose of hoping to make it more attractive to deer did not prove effective in the multiple tests on different farms for me.

One would think that the peas and forage radishes would have flourished and grown larger in the heavily fertilized areas but deer fed so heavily on those plants that they did not appear much different then the areas with less or no additional N.

I mention that because while forage radishes have the potential to break up soil hardpan they won't accomplish that feat unless allowed to grow. Nice problem however to plant something that deer go crazy over!
Some interesting notes from testing done in Maryland on subsequent soybean yields after forage radish alone or combined with winter rye...

A study was done in Maryland to investigate the ability of the radish roots to do their work. Different brassica species were tried (including oilseed radish, and canola), but the forage radish came out most promising. A forage radish/rye mix was also tried. The year after, soybeans were grown (both cover and main crops were grown no-till).

Minirhizotrons showed that soybean roots actually occupied old root channels of previous cover crops, which is probably not a surprise to those who’ve dug in the soil a bit. The soybean yield was increased in one site (Wye Research and Education Center, Fig 3) after the forage radish/rye mix compared with straight no-till without a cover crop, but not at the other site (Beltsville), where the same yield was obtained with or without the brassica cover crop. The summer rainfall was much lower at the Wye than at Beltsville, which likely meant that the additional access to subsoil water was most important in the former location.

Greatest yield was obtained after forage radish/rye mix in the Wye location. The reason was probably that the rye mulch contributed to moisture savings, and that radish holes offered increased water infiltration besides offering entry-ways for soybean roots.

fcn0514img03.jpg

Since the Groundhog forage radish seed is inexpensive and able to produce forage in the 20% CP range it makes sense to include it with your fall cereal grain planting because after all...deer do like their candy...;)

January 19th 2010...crops are long gone; they have turned my brassicas plots to nothing more then a patch of dirt and scraped every last leaf from the clover so when I stepped into the winter rye I didn't expect much activity.

It too has been eaten to the ground...or has it? ;)

01-19-10Ryeupclose.jpg

I had sat in a timbered travel corridor all morning and saw nothing, so slipped quietly into the food plots to take some pictures and take stock of what was left of them and noticed a couple fawns several hundred yards away.

At first glance it seems there is little left to be gleaned from the rye but they will come back again and again to feed there.

01-19-10WRfield.jpg

Now one thing I want folks to know is that winter rye, or brassicas or any food source in itself is not magic. Great habitat is a combination of all the right "stuff", good safe bedding nearby and a safe secure feeding area combine to keep deer living on your property.

Such is the case at my place, where hinge cut trees create great bedding and tall NWSG surrounds food sources. As I stood there about 11:00 a.m....I watched as the winter rye field slowly filled up with deer...

01-19-10WRndeer.jpg

Here in southern Iowa where deer numbers are high, they have a late antlerless hunt and they allow the use of rifles to encourage people to get out hunting. I don't really care for the season because too many shed bucks get killed but I do participate, watching carefully for a doe with fawns and making sure I can see her head.

Deerinrye01-19-10.jpg

So I laid my pack on the ground and even though out in the open, laid down myself, rifle over my pack and watched for well over an hour as deer after deer entered the field.

Finally 2 fawns followed by a doe stepped out of the switchgrass and when I could be certain that it was indeed a doe I dropped her at the edge of the rye. Normally I don't hunt my food plots and in fact in 15 years this is the first time, but these deer have no reason to move at all and conserve energy by bedding right beside their food source.

01-19-10Doe.jpg

2 weeks ago, we endured an entire of week of temperatures dropping into the minus teens at night and rising barely to zero during the day. We have had plenty of snow and only recently, a warm up left some fields bare including my plots.

Winter rye survives all of that and as you can see is a viable attractant even when it appears there is nothing left. I watched the deer intently looking for pedicles of a shed buck but only rarely did one ever raise their head!

In heavily grazed areas winter rye is a great option simply because, though they try, they cannot completely do away with it such as they do with other crops. Brassicas, corn and soybeans around here are all stripped bare...nothing left but bare dirt or useless stalks while winter rye keeps on ticking.

In no case do I recommend only one food source, always a combination that provides year around food sources and a way to rotate crops to lower disease problems and increase soil fertility. Clover, brassicas and cereal grains are three that can be easily rotated and all grown seperately in the same plot.

Winter rye combined with peas, forage radish and red clover or over seeded into standing beans just makes sense for many landowners and insures that no matter how many deer you have...there will be something left to keep em coming back... ;)

Some interesting mid winter comparisons of Austrian Winter Peas and 4010 Field Peas here in late January...

This is winter rye and AWP on 9-29-09

RyenPeagrowth30days-1.jpg

This is winter triticale and 4010 peas on 9-29-09

RyeandAWP9-29-1.jpg

Planted those test areas at upwards of 80#'s per acre of peas and 150
#'s per acre of winter rye along with 200#'s of urea and 250#'s of triple 13

As the pics show both test areas flourished until eventually being grazed to the ground by early winter. I went back on 01-19-10 after we had a full week of temps to minus 13 at night and barely zero for highs to see how what was left of the peas looked at this point.

What I found was indeed interesting and not what I expected with the 4010 peas alive and well and the AWP's mostly dead at this point.

4010 Forage Peas

1-19-10WT6.jpg

1-19-10WT5.jpg

While the AWP were 95% dead at this point...

1-19-10WR6.jpg

1-19-10WR5.jpg

Now it is somewhat of a moot point because they are already grazed to the ground and in the spring the rye will grow rapidly along with the red clover and eventually I will clip the rye so it is really not important to me if they are alive or dead at this point.

Since deer grazed both types of peas equally however I can not see the point in paying twice as much for the AWP's? Certainly not going to hurt a thing if this is the landowners choice but I can find nothing to be gained by spending the extra money. Both peas served their purpose as a fall attractant planted with cereal grains and on all farms and all plots they grazed them both to the ground.

Food for thought when you purchase seed this fall...;)

4010 Forage Peas $21 a bag

Austrian Winter Peas $45 a bag

Great Post! Thanks...........will remember that next year!

Is the seed size any different between field peas and AWP's?

Was hoping field peas were a little smaller so would go thru my drill better when mixed with oats and rye.

Thanks Very Much Dbltree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post! Thanks...........will remember that next year!

Is the seed size any different between field peas and AWP's?

Was hoping field peas were a little smaller so would go thru my drill better when mixed with oats and rye.

Thanks Very Much Dbltree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The peas size is identical and at first glance they look the same but one has a more mottled coloration then the other.

What is the best time to plant the peas? Always wanted to try them, but never have.

I plant the peas with my fall cereal grain planting in late August or early September for forage only.

I have also planted them in July alone for field pea production where deer will feed on the dried peas in the fall much like soybeans.

Like soybeans however they tend to eat the peas long before they dry down leaving nothing left so I have better success planting with winter rye in the fall.

A friend sent me this info on red clover which shows how farmers can include it with wheat and then follow the wheat crop with corn and lower their nitrogen inputs. The exact same reason I promote planting red clover with winter rye and then following it with brassicas (or corn) the following year.

We can include red clover with our fall planting rather then frost seed it so that growth will be quicker in the spring but the article just expands on the reasons for using this great source of green manure, nitrogen and awesome attractive high protein spring/summer forage. :way:

From Agri View a Wisconsin ag paper...
Red Clover Frost Seeding Into Wheat Can ‘Grow’ Nitrogen For Corn Crop

By Jane Fyksen Crops Editor
Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:27 AM CDT

Growers can shave their fertilizer outlay by growing their own nitrogen for corn, if they step outside the box and frost seed red clover into winter wheat.

“Green manure” in conjunction with wheat, will produce nitrogen for the following corn crop, protect and improve soil quality and potentially be eligible for conservation cost-share dollars. That’s according to Jim Stute, Rock County Extension crops and soils agent, and Kevin Shelley with the UW’s Nutrient and Pest Management Program in Madison.

Red clover offers the additional advantage of being a non-host crop for soybean cyst nematode, which is a problem with many of the other commonly promoted cover crops.

Stute and Shelley have been involved in research demonstrating that red clover is the most productive and reliable legume of choice for “green manure,” when interseeded into winter wheat in early spring. Interseeded red clover, they report, “captures the entire growing season,” maximizing N credit. Seeding Berseem clover or other forage legumes after wheat harvest is riskier, due to the ever-present potential for dry weather, not to mention the shorter growing season. Delayed germination and slow growth can limit seeding-year yield and N production when a green-manure crop goes in after wheat.

Adequate rain in August for summer seedlings is crucial as Stute and Shelley found in 2008. They measured above-ground biomass for interseeded red clover and Berseem clover seeded after the wheat came off. In 2007, when 11.04 inches fell in the rain gauge during August, interseeded red clover produced over 2.25 tons of biomass per acre. In 2008, when they measured a mere 1.07 inches of rain during August, red clover still came through with just over 2 tons per acre. Berseem clover seeded after wheat harvest, however, had over 1.5 tons of biomass per acre in 2007, but roughly just over a quarter-ton in 2008.

They share data on cover crops from 1991 to 2008. Noting that N yield doesn’t necessarily correspond to creditable N, they report that interseeded red clover have averaged 1.7 tons per acre of above-ground biomass yield mean. Hairy vetch seeded after wheat harvested averaged 1.37 tons, Berseem clover a ton. All others n crimson clover, annual sweetclover, annual medic, chickling vetch and annual alfalfa n turned above-ground biomass yield means of less than a ton (some of them, considerably less).

How much N is potentially out there? Current UW recommendations suggest unharvested red clover green manure can supply 50 to 80 pounds of N per acre to corn, depending on stand quality. Those N credits are based on plant biomass production, which includes the plants above-ground (which contribute two-thirds of the N) as well as the roots (which contribute the other third). From 160 red clover samples in Wisconsin, this pair points out that there’s 96 pounds of N per acre in the above-ground biomass, and 45 pounds in the roots, for a total of 141 pounds to the acre.

Red clover residue decomposes rapidly, releasing N available to the corn. Wisconsin data suggest about 70 percent of whole-plant N will become available in the first year following the clover n most released before corn begins its period of rapid uptake. They contend this on-farm source of N can be cost-competitive with purchased N, too, assuming a clover credit of 80 pounds of N per acre and a clover seeding rate of 12 pounds to the acre. They’ve compared the cost of red clover N at a range of seed costs versus fertilizer N (82-0-0 and 28-0-0). Even at $140-a-bag seed (50-pound bag), red clover provides 42 cents per pound of N, which is comparable on a per-pound basis to $700 a ton 82-0-0 (43 cents per pounds of N) and $250 28-0-0 (45 cents per pounds of N). Of course, cheaper red clover seed, of course, delivers N at less cost.

Stute and Shelley stress that “properly managed” interseeded red clover won’t reduce wheat yield or interfere with harvest. But it will “capture 90 days of sunlight, which is normally wasted,” they point out. N and carbon will be fixed and added to the soil after the clover is killed and plants decompose.

The only limitation is fewer herbicide options for broadleaf weed conrol.
Red clover is typically frost-seeded mid-to-late-March after snowmelt, when cracks form on the soil surface, still-frozen soil supports equipment and subsequent freezing and thawing results in seed/soil contact. Low overnight temperatures cause the surface to freeze and crack, while warm daytime temperatures thaw the surface to seal cracks and seed.

Producers can broadcast red clover with an ATV or utility vehicle or a three-point mounted spinner seeder, or spread it in conjunction with spring fertilizer applications using airflow equipment. Be careful, however, not to drive on thawing soil and risk injuring the wheat; thus frost-seeding is safely done right before the freeze-thaw cycle begins or shortly after dawn after it’s started.

The trick to frost seeding is to be aware of conditions; ideal conditions may only occur a few days each spring.

Seed can be broadcast until mid-April if cracks in the soil are present yet and the traditional frost-seeding window was missed. These two say that while seeding beyond mid-April has worked, it’s riskier because the wheat becomes competitive. Following wheat harvest, the clover, they say, grows into late fall and should be managed to maximize growth and creditable N.

Double spreading at half-rate will reduce or eliminate skips and aids seeder calibration. Adjust the gate setting to the manufacturer’s recommendation for half-rate and use the specified ground speed for your first trip over the field, keeping centers as uniform as possible to minimize skips and overlap. When you’re done, determine how much seed you used and calculate seeding rate based on acreage covered. Make necessary adjustments to either the gate opening or travel speed and take your second trip, splitting the centers of the first trip. Driving over these “seams” of the first application will eliminate skips. Recheck calibration again by seeing how much seed was used on the second top. To cover field edges, reduce the gate setting and make a final lap around the fiel, spaced one-half the spread width from the field edge.

I just finished reading 34 pages of posts. Thanks for all of the great info. We have a farm in S. Indiana currently with no food plots. We have about 15 acres worth of fields in orchard grass or some are just weeds. Was wondering if I could frost seed red clover this winter yet in lieu of round-up at green up and trying to get some summer plots going the conventional way. After reading all these posts it sounds like late summer is when the plots should begin the "cycle". Want to get something in to attract deer to the property in spring and summer. Alfalfa fields a mile away are the only competition. Our fields went un-mowed for 10 yrs until last year. The deer numbers slowly declined each year. Planted my 1st food plot in Ohio last yr (clover/chicory) and am sold.

Thanks.

I just finished reading 34 pages of posts. Thanks for all of the great info. We have a farm in S. Indiana currently with no food plots. We have about 15 acres worth of fields in orchard grass or some are just weeds. Was wondering if I could frost seed red clover this winter yet in lieu of round-up at green up and trying to get some summer plots going the conventional way. After reading all these posts it sounds like late summer is when the plots should begin the "cycle". Want to get something in to attract deer to the property in spring and summer. Alfalfa fields a mile away are the only competition. Our fields went un-mowed for 10 yrs until last year. The deer numbers slowly declined each year. Planted my 1st food plot in Ohio last yr (clover/chicory) and am sold.

Thanks.

You could frost seed clover into the orchard grass but you would not be able to use roundup in the spring. If the red clover was established in the fall so it was a little stonger then a light application of gly might work but it would be pretty risky to spray glyphosate on tiny clover seedlings in the spring.

One option however is to spray clethodim (Select 2-EC, Arrow or Volunteer are a few trade names) because it is a grass selective herbicide.

Use 8 ounces with one quart of crop oil and spray the orchardgrass after it greens up good in the spring.

The other option is to mow it in the spring, allow it to re-grow 4-6" and then nuke it all with roundup (glyphosate) and then till it up and plant any of several short term summer crops.

Buckwheat can be planted in early June and then tilled under a fall crop.

Oats and berseem clover are another great option that will provide a quick food source for deer. Clip the oats off in late June and then till the berseem under in late August for a fall winter rye planting that includes red clover at that time.

The oat/berseem option is my favorite but if you have minimal equipment and time that may not work for you...;)

Thanks dbltree. I have some Poast that I can use and never thought about that route. I was just going to let clover and orchard grass coexist until nuking mid-summer if that is at all possible. Like I said I just want to get something going as quick as I can without a tremendous amount of effort. We have tractor and a disk but I have to trailer it an hour & half. Would like to just till once to prepare for the fall plots.

Thanks again for the great info.

A friend noticed this great info on using red clover with a fall cereal grain planting to take advantage of free N production for the next crop.

Does it pay to use red clover as a N source compared to using other means of N fertilizer?

These graphs from the University of Wisconsin show how cost effective frost seeded red clover can be in a nitrogen management plan.

The following table demonstrates the large amount of biomass of red clover compared to other crops.

Nfromfrostseedingredclover.jpg

The following table shows the cost effectiveness of red clover N compared to fertilizer costs.

Nfromfrostseedingredclover001.jpg

This figure shows the N released by clover in comparison to the demands of the N used by corn at different stages of growth.

Nfromfrostseedingredclover002.jpg

N is avalible from the whole clover plant. This is crucial and the reason why the WHOLE plant must be tilled under without being allowed to dry out!

Nfromfrostseedingredclover003.jpg

Couple points here...note that there is a cost to sow the red clover of course but the graph clearly shows the cost advantage of naturally fixed N versus commercially manufactured nitrogen.

Note also that the clover releases N slowly as it decomposes and that coincides perfectly with the next crops increasing need for N. They also show the marked difference in red clover versus other legumes, so adding red clover when you sow rye in the fall has a substantial advantage!

The last picture clearly shows the importance of fully tilling under the entire clover (or any legume) crop. Mowing it and allowing it to dry out will allow much of the N held in the upper part of the plant to be lost.

I am not a fan of "plowing" but it is a great tool to quickly capture ALL of the nutrients contained in the biomass by turning it under and "trapping" the N below the soil surface.

Red clover not only adds N and improves the soil via added biomass that creates a tremendous amount of humous (organic matter) it is also an awesome source of very high quality, high protein spring and summer forage.

Any of a number of red clover varieties will work fine but if your local supplier doesn't have any at a reasonable price, Welter Seed carries a red clover that is only a $1.50 a pound!

Alta-Swede Mammoth Red Clover

I haven't found a red clover that deer didn't like but they really hammer Alta Swede and at a very reasonable price to boot!

Welters will sell any clover seeds by the pound so you can call and order 3#'s or 30 which makes it ideal for small plotters.
Add some red clover to your fall rye planting and you'll be money ahead and feeding your whitetails at the same time! :)

Nearly 50 years ago now, the Big Top came to our little town, something that doesn't happen anymore. My parents took us kids to the circus and I'll never forget looking up at the vivid images painted onto the tent of wild animals.

Right above the entry way a tiger, paws outstretched, claws embedded into a hapless zebra and streams of blood flowing left an unforgettable image in a small boys mind. I entered the tent fully expecting to see animals being attacked and left later confused by what I had seen. To this day I remember not a single thing from the actual circus, so focused was I on that painted image and what I expected to see.

That night my Dad sat on the edge of my bed and patiently tried to explain that it was all for show but "why...why would they show that picture if it wasn't true??" I asked repeatedly....

I share that little story because a few still remain focused on the issue of protein in winter cereals and miss out completely on the the "whole show" in regards to recognizing all the attributes of winter rye.

That in mind I would like to re-visit one "act" if you will, one attribute that winter rye has over winter wheat...keeping in mind that like a circus comprised of many acts, this is only ONE reason to plant rye as a fall attractant.

Let's talk about protein...

Crude Protein (CP)- the total amount of protein present as calculated from the total nitrogen present. Unless otherwise stated, protein values given in lab reports, feed tables and feed tags are crude protein. Laboratory analysis measures the total amount of nitrogen present in a feed. The per cent nitrogen is converted to per cent protein by multiplying by 6.25.

Forages high in protein are very important in spring and summer months when lactating does and bucks in antler development stage require high levels. Clover, alfalfa and soybeans are just a few forages that fill that need.

As fall approaches deer begin to seek out food sources high in energy and fat such as acorns or corn when putting on fat reserves is more important then body development.

Shelled corn is only 8-12% protein yet deer seek it out in earnest and acorns often even lower in protein but once they start dropping deer flock to them like magnets so at this point arguing the merits of protein becomes less important....I mention that because we will look at CP levels in winter rye as high as 34%!!

Very few landowners learning how, what and why to plant various crops for whitetails have a farm background and even fewer have actually tested crops for CP and TDN but I am fortunate to have done both. That knowledge gives me an understanding not only how ruminants digest various food sources but how forage testing works and the variables involved. Any farmer knows full well that they need to depend on multiple tests from a variety of sources before deciding what crop species or variety will yield the highest dry matter and crude protein levels.

When discussing CP levels in ANY crop one must be aware that they can vary widely even in the same field! Crop to crop, year to year they vary even more and there is a HUGE difference in when the crop is tested. Plants harvested and tested while young and tender have much higher CP levels then those more mature.

Suffice it to say then that NOTHING is cut in stone regarding CP because it is highly variable and unpredictable so we can only deal in generalities and averages taken from many many tests across the country.

Such is the case when comparing rye with wheat because if you test long enough and far enough with many different varieties one can sooner or later come up with what appears to be conflicting information...so we deal in averages, not ONE test.

There are a couple reasons why we sometimes see conflicting data beyond those already stated.

1) Newer improved varieties of forage rye have been developed that supersede older varieties and previous tests...in other words things change and some tests are now out dated.

2) Northern varieties of cereal rye do not do well in southern states so Wren's Abruzzi Rye and other new varieties were developed, better adapted to the south. Initial tests done in the past did not use improved varieties of rye for testing in the south and so yield data that is no longer valid, yet those tests are still held as valid by unknowing land managers.

3) Many tests compare winter cereals harvested in the boot or dough stage for hay or silage in the spring when we only care about cereals in the tiller stage for fall grazing.

Elbon, Aroostook, Oklon, and Winter King are all great forage varieties with Winter King usually coming out on top against both other rye varieties and wheat and in testing done by Ohio State University they out yielded and out performed Caldwell wheat.

Even unknown variety rye did better then wheat with winter rye averaging 2-5% higher CP

Winter Rye for Extending the Grazing Season

Table 1. Forage dry matter yield and quality of winter rye varieties planted in southern Ohio (Jackson County).
Sown September 20, 1993 Sown September 20, 1994 Sown October 19, 1995 Harvested December 9, 1993 Harvested December 14,1994 Harvested
March 31, 1995 Harvested May 2, 1996
Cultivars Yieldlb/A CP% ADF% NDF% Yieldlb/A CP% NDF% Yieldlb/A CP% NDF% Yield lb/A CP% ADF% NDF%
Dacold 1390 27.9 17.9 31.5
Prima 1488 26.5 17.3 32.8
Paster 2120 27.7 19.6 33.1 2698 13.1 28.2 58.0
Variety unstated 1500 25.2 18.1 32.0 1321 29.4 27.9 2404 23.2 45.6 2047 15.9 24.2 52.2
Aroostook 2470 26.5 20.7 36.7 1682 32.1 30.4 2659 24.5 46.6 3593 12.5 35.9 64.1
Winter King 1988 33.7 31.0 2616 22.8 46.9 3362 13.0 34.8 64.4
Wheeler 2124 30.7 29.5 2482 25.7 42.5
Elbon 1566 31.4 30.5 2981 25.3 47.2
Maton 1578 32.5 31.6 2538 21.5 45.9
Oklon 2018 32.9 30.9 2622 27.0 47.5
Trical triticale 1091 31.3 29.3 2304 21.8 43.9
Caldwell wheat 1018 28.8 30.1 1980 21.8 44.5 1390 19.5

If one is able to read these links not focused on one thing but ALL the attributes of cereal rye you begin to notice many details such as this:

Along with the high yield potential and early-spring grazing that winter rye can offer, producers need to consider the forage quality characteristics of rye. High-quality grasses have >18% crude protein (CP), < 35% acid detergent fiber (ADF), and < 55% neutral detergent fiber (NDF). The ADF and NDF values are indicators of the digestibility and the potential intake of the forage. In Ohio studies, CP levels of rye were as high as 34%, ADF values as low as 17%, and NDF values as low as 28%. When rye is grazed in the vegetative stage, it is highly digestible and intake is not limited, making it more suitable for livestock with high nutritional needs.

From this link: Rye

Rye matures earlier than wheat or triticale and has the highest crude protein levels

The testing done showed rye at 2% higher CP but I would also note that the cereals were harvested for silage in the spring when quality is pehaps 2/3 lower then it would be for fall grazing.

Here again CP is higher and the yield difference is for spring harvested cereals, something that has no significant bearing on fall forage for whitetails.

Winter Rye

Dry matter yields for winter rye harvested in the boot to early heading stages of growth will often reach 3 tons of dry matter per acre. This is lower than winter wheat forage yields but significantly more than any of the spring sown small grains harvested for forage.

From a forage quality standpoint, winter rye will have a higher crude protein percent than winter wheat. Winter rye crude protein concentration usually is between 13 and 14 percent if adequately fertilized with nitrogen.

This link talks about over seeding cereal rye into soybeans and compares yields and nutritive values with ryegrass (not to be confused with cereal rye)

Overseeding Cereal Rye into Soybean

The following is very important because we want our fall cereal grain to be growing as late as possible and to begin growing in the spring ASAP and winter rye is the clear winner in that regard.

High On Rye

[quote]"Rye grows under cooler temperatures than other small grains so it will grow later into the winter and start growing earlier in the spring," says Undersander. "It's also the most winterhardy of the small grains." [/quote]

This link is full of interesting facts about winter rye including spring planting where needed and has plenty of CP data as well.

Rye - More forage less weeds

This link has some great notes on winter rye:

Small grain grazing

Cereal rye is the most winter hardy of the small grains and will continue growth at colder temperatures than the others.

Trials - In our trials, certain varieties were able to produce nearly 2,500 pounds of dry matter per acre in about 80 days (Sept. 20 to Dec. 9).

Crude protein values in these late fall harvests ranged from 25.5 percent to 33.7 percent

High quality. Fiber values showed similar high quality characteristics. Neutral detergent fiber (NDF) levels were consistently in the high 20s to low 30s. That’s highly digestible feed!

Using Fall Rye for Pasture

The nutrient level of fall rye for pasture is excellent. Protein levels will vary with the amount of soil nitrogen and growing conditions, but a dry matter protein content of 18 to 23 per cent can be expected.

Fibre levels are generally 25 to 30 per cent. At Brooks, (irrigated) spring seeded fall rye had a higher protein content throughout the summer than oats, barley or utility wheat. Fall rye sampled the end of October still had a protein content of 22.4 per cent. The fact that fall rye can maintain quality late in the season makes it a good late season pasture.

Forage News

Cereal rye is another option that can produce a high quality crop for grazing in December and in March. What sets this crop apart from the rest is that it is high quality and is the first crop to green up in the spring.

figure1-7-2.jpg

CEREAL RYE
Secale cereale

Reasons for rye’s widespread use include:

It is winter-hardy, allowing it to grow longer into fall and resume growth earlier in the spring than most other cover crops.

It produces a lot of biomass, which translates into a long-lasting residue cover in conservation tillage systems.

It crowds out and out-competes winter annual weeds, while rye residue helps suppress summer weeds.

It scavenges nutrients—particularly nitrogen —very effectively, helping keep nutrients on the farm and out of surface and ground water.
It is relatively inexpensive and easy to seed.

It works well in mixtures with legumes, resulting in greater biomass production and more complete fall/winter ground cover.

Albert Lea Seed

As a forage, winter rye is highly productive producing 2.5 – 4 tons of dry matter by late May. It is best to harvest it for forage before it heads out. Clear Lake, IA “I planted winter rye in October and chopped it on June 4. It yielded 8-10 tons/acre. I planted a 1.9 maturity soybean on that field as soon as I chopped the rye. They yielded 54 Bu./Acre. I’ve been doing that for 5 years now.”

Winter rye is seeded in the fall and can germinate down to 35 degrees Farenheit. Its winter hardiness is legendary. Stories such as this one are common: Riceville, IA “I no-tilled rye into corn stalks on Nov. 5th. It froze solid 3 days after I planted it. It came up good in the spring.” It is possible, but uncommon, for winter rye to winterkill. Do not seed rye more than 1.5 inches deep, as it is sensitive to seeding depth.

Decomposing winter rye trash can have an allelopathic effect on germinating weed (and crop) seeds. It seems to have the strongest effect on small grass seeds and weed seeds but we have had reports of negative effects on corn stands. In general, the more rye trash there is, the more it will inhibit the germination of seedlings. If the rye plant is taken off as forage, this will reduce the allelopathic effect. Soybeans follow winter rye extremely well. Most growers report excellent “clean” soybean stands following winter rye.

Thoughts for southern states

Recommended Forages for Winter Pasture

Rye – Rye is the small grain most widely used for winter grazing. Rye is more cold tolerant than oats and generally produces more forage than either oats or wheat. If rye is planted very early in the season, there may be a decreased stand caused by various seedling diseases. Normally rye developed from northern states will produce little forage in late fall or early winter and will usually be severely damaged by leaf rust; therefore, plant only varieties recommended for the Southeastern U.S.
Recommended varieties: FL 401 (for early grazing or for use in blends), AGS 104, Wrens 96, Wrens Abruzzi, Bates, Oklon, Wintergrazer 70, and Early Graze.

Rye and Triticale Breeding in the South

Rye is an excellent temporary winter forage crop widely used by livestock producers. It is also the most dependable cereal species for winter grazing. Rye has greater cold tolerance, quicker growth at low temperatures, and more uniform seasonal forage production in comparison to wheat, oats, barley or triticale.

The following are more links to help you better understand forage testing and more links on winter rye and how it builds soil, holds nitrogen, helps control weeds all the while feeding your whitetails high quality forage.

Know Your Feed Terms
National Forage Testing Association
Forage Testing Archives Interpreting Forage Analysis
Cereal Rye
Weed Control With Winter Rye
Rye as a Cover Crop
University Forage Links
Rye - King of Cover Crops
Red Clover in Winter Cereals

If all of that is not enough....wheat is notorious for extensive tillering making it a poor choice to add companion crops too. Winter rye on the other hand goes with peas like peanut butter and jelly! Planting any cereal alone is like going to the circus and watching ONE act all night...BORING!!

Did you know for instance that winter rye and peas combined have a forage equivalent to alfalfa??

Even though I have shown repeated tests showing winter rye well ahead of wheat in AVERAGE CP...don't focus on ONE thing...look instead at all the reasons why winter rye is a better choice for landowners or risk watching a one act circus...year after year......;)

I planted winter rye in the fall with the intention of disking it up as a green manure and planting sorghum and soys.Was wondering about the alleopathic effects it would have on the sourghum?Perhaps I should nuke it ahead of time?

I planted winter rye in the fall with the intention of disking it up as a green manure and planting sorghum and soys.Was wondering about the alleopathic effects it would have on the sourghum?Perhaps I should nuke it ahead of time?

It has almost no affect on larger seeds...it's tiny broadleaf seeds that can be affected but I still would till it under before it gets too tall... 20" or so rather then 5 foot!

Allow a week or so if you can (between tilling it under and planting) ...not because of allelopathic chemicals but the decomposing rye can suck up soil moisture and tie up nitrogen for a short time.

Once it begins to break down the N that it has stored in it's root systems will be released...:way:

Thanks!I really appreciate this site and the info.This habitat improvement is quite an education!Cant wait till the snow is gone to get to work.Guess i'll keep that chainsaw runnin for awhile yet.
icon10.gif

Here's a few links on the allelopathic chemicals in winter rye and how/why they work on some small seeded weeds to lower the need for herbicides while feeding deer high quality forage.

Allelopathic Effects Of Rye (Secale Cereale L.)

Why rye?

Allelopathic Effects. Cereal rye produces several compounds in its plant tissues and releases root exudates that apparently inhibit germination and growth of weed seeds. These allelopathic effects, together with cereal rye's ability to smother other plants with cool weather growth, make it an ideal choice for weed control.

However, allelopathic compounds may suppress germination of small-seeded vegetable crops as well if they are planted shortly after the incorporation of cereal rye residue. Large-seeded crops and transplants rarely are affected. There is some evidence that the amount of allelopathic compounds in tillering plants is lower than in seedlings.

Weed Control With Winter Rye

Winter rye provides much more effective weed control than spring-seeded small grains and more than winter wheat.

Wild oat, ragweed, dandelion, common lambsquarters, redroot pigweed, Canada thistle and quackgrass are weed species reported to be controlled by rye. These and many other weeds have their growth retarded by vigorous growth of the rye plant.

Producers who do not wish to purchase or use herbicides should use rye as a regular rotational crop.

Using allelopathic and cover crops to suppress weeds

The fall rye cover crop was particularly effective in reducing populations of dandelion and Canada thistle

CEREAL RYE

Weed suppressor.
Rye is one of the best cool season cover crops for outcompeting weeds, especially small-seeded, light-sensitive annuals such as lambsquarters, redroot pigweed, velvetleaf, chickweed and foxtail. Rye also suppresses many weeds allelopathically (as a natural herbicide), including dandelions and Canada thistle and has been shown to inhibit germination of some triazine-resistant weeds (336).

Rye reduced total weed density an average of 78 percent when rye residue covered more than 90 percent of soil in a Maryland no-till study (410), and by 99 percent in a California study (422). You can increase rye’s weed-suppressing effect before no-till corn by planting rye with an annual legume such as hairy vetch. Don’t expect complete weed control, however. You’ll probably need complementary weed management measures.

How cover crops supress weeds

Winter cereal grains, especially rye, can grow at temperatures just a few degrees above freezing, and thereby get a jump on early spring weeds.

Allelopathic Cover Crops, Living Mulches, and Weed Thresholds

Cereal rye releases allelochemicals which inhibit weed seed germination and growth. Rye also produces substantial biomass which can also inhibit weeds. The rye is killed in the spring either with glyphosate or by mowing. We found the rye mulch controlled most weed species similar to the control resulting from conventional tillage along with preemergent herbicides.

Cereal Rye

Root System

Cereal rye has the best-developed root system among annual cereal crops (Starzycki, 1976) as with other grasses, the system is fibrous, with no defined taproot (Bugg, pers. comm.). The extensive root system enables it to be the most drought-tolerant cereal crop (Evans and Scoles, 1976) and makes it among the best green manures for improving soil structure (Pears et al., 1989).

Cereal Rye for Cover Cropping

After killing rye, it’s best to wait three to four weeks before planting small-seeded crops such as carrots or onions. If strip tilling vegetables into rye, be aware that rye seedlings have more allelopathic compounds than more mature rye residue. Transplanted vegetables, such as tomatoes, and larger-seeded species, especially legumes, are less susceptible to rye’s allelopathic effects

So far I have yet to find evidence of clover seed being affected by winter rye like I have found in brassicas. The type of seeds that are affected are even smaller then clover seeds such as weed seeds the size of carrot seeds...;)

The Midwest Cover Crops Council had their annual meeting in Ames IA recently and many of their findings from past year studies are available online now.

You can see pictures of many of the same plants I encourage landowners to plant from winter rye to Pasja, Appin and Barkant turnips to Groundhog Forage Radish to red clover for N production.

Funny thing how if used properly in the right crop rotations that all of these very crops can both provide lush high quality forage for deer yet improve soils and lower herbicide and fertilizer needs.

You can read all the great links thru this one:

Midwest Cover Crops Council

It seems a shame that with all the information being made available to landowners that no one else bothers to share this knowledge.

If farmers can see the advantages....shouldn't we as well?

Southeast Iowa farmer Steve Berger planted 1,000 acres of rye on his farm in 2007, and says that it works well with no-till operations to prevent soil erosion and encourage root growth.

“We get a tremendous root system out of rye and the corn roots follow them down,” Berger said. “If you get those corn roots to go down just one foot more, that’s two inches more of available moisture and in some years two inches is a big deal.”

Now...it's true that I am not interested personally in winter rye to no-till corn into, I'm interested in attracting whitetails with it and then enjoying the same after affects to the next crop as Steve did.

Healthy soils grow lush healthy crops that in turn attract whitetails to your plots versus the neighbors so it pays to take advantage of the knowledge gained from the Council on Cover Crops...ALL of which deer LOVE! :)

A common misconception is that just because the snow melts and sun warms the days, that whitetails are good to go! This time of year however is very difficult for deer because they have exhausted food supplies and very little in the way of food sources is available.

A second mistake is when landowners worry about about plots that attract whitetails in the fall instead of providing year around food sources that will hold them on their property ALL the time.

Winter rye and red clover planted in early fall solve both problems!

Winter rye grows longer into the winter and begins growing again in the spring sooner then any other cereal grain including wheat. This time of year this little known fact can be crucial and a reason my rye plots are covered in deer every day this time of year.

Red (or white) clover sown with winter rye and peas in the fall will already have become established so it leaps to life with the very first rays of sun in the spring.

Red clover provides high quality, high protein forage at a time of year when deer are desperate for it and will continue to do so until tilled under or killed for the next crop later in the summer or fall.

Cloverinrye4-1-2010.jpg

Not only is the combination of winter rye and clover providing the earliest possible source of food but the combination also suffucates weeds, creates and holds nitrogen and ultimately provides a tremendous amount of biomass to build soils.

While there are lot's of crop options, there is no better combination that can attract and hold deer literally year around that I am aware of. Both winter rye and red clover can be overseeded into standing soybeans in late August allowing landowners even more versitaility with these two great crops...:)

"In a perfect world", would you top-dress the rye/clover with some fertilizer about now to give it a jump?

Top Bottom