Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your Favorite Knife

My brother-in-law, being German, turned me onto a Puma Hunters Companion about 8 years ago. I think I paid 50 or 60 dollars for it at the time. Definitly worth the money, although I don't hear of many other people owning them.

Blake - My dad has one of those knives, it is simply awesome. I was going to buy one just because of their awesomeness but Dad said to just wait it out, I'll have one eventually. That wasn't the best way to tell me I'm getting one some day, but it'll be a good keepsake.

Gerber Gator is by far the best knife I've ever handled. It holds an edge forever, sharpens easily, fits my hand very nicely, and the rubber handle will not slip even when wet or bloody. The blade is solid in the handle so there is no play, it locks solidly. Its my favorite and my go to.

:way: I agree with everything dc240nt said above. I have had mine going on 5 years and was disappointed when they stopped making the lock blade style. I would also be lost without my Gerber hand saw/bone saw combo. All very good products. When the meat gets bones and sliced it gets done like Bukket said with a cheap Wal-Mart Rapala 6 inch fillet knife. I love how quick and easy they take an edge with a good steel.

The 6 inch Rapala fillet knives are great for most boning out, I prefer the 9 inchers for popping out the backstraps though. For $10 you can dang near use them for a couple years and then just buy new ones instead of getting them sharpened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb Chicken
Cutco drop point with the double D edge. Not only the hunting knives but the knives in general are outstanding.

How long have you used this knife and does it sharpen easily?

Had it for about 10 years now and am just sending it in for sharpening (which is free). I have beat the ever livin .... out of this knife and it is still sharp enough to gut a deer.

You can't sharpen the double D edge but you don't need to.

I'm a diehard Buck knife user, although my Gerbers are a close second. My Vanguard is probably my most reliable go-to knife for all things hunting, but my 119 is my favorite go to for all around circumstances. I've used it to chop brush, small limbs, etc. and I've had to unsheath it a few times in self defense with border crossers and an upset mountain lion. Luckily, nothing came of any situation, but to know its there and will do its job is my biggest comfort. I'll never be without a Buck within easy reach!

For a pocket knife I really love my Ken Onion Scallion http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Scallion-KS1620.htm
They have great customer sevice and will send out any replacemnt parts free of charge.

The knife that is usually in my hunting pack is a Buck Alpha Hunter with gut hook
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2927
The other two knifes that I use are the Cabela's Outfitter Series. I've got one they don't even carry anymore and also the caping knife. These knives are scary sharp.

Had a Schrade Old Timer growing up and I sure wish I still had that knife. Can't ever have too many knives. :D

THIS KNIFE I GOT FREE WITH A YEAR SUBSCRIPTION TO BUCKMASTERS MAGAZINE ABOUT TEN OR SO YEARS AGO, AND IT IS MY GO TO KNIFE, I'VE GUTTED A NUMBER OF DEER WITH IT. LOST IT COUPLE YEARS AGO IN SOME KNEE HIGH CRP FIELD AFTER GUTTING A DEER , WAS PRETTY BUMMED AFTER I COULD NOT FIND IT,BORROWED A FRIENDS METAL DETECTER A COUPLE WKS LATER AND FOUND IT!

picture.php

picture.php

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I like my Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger model 152. Schrade either went outta business or sold out to somebody and they quit making them for a few years. They started making them again in China. Steel didn’t feel as good and the edge sucked. I bought two of the knock offs without looking at them. Junk. I bought them for gifts. I never gave them away. I have since found a few original 152s at gun shows NIB. I have enough to keep me in knives for a few years. I lose knifes about as fast as I lose hair.<o:p></o:p>
For around the house/acreage I carry a Schrade Old Timer 340T three blade folder. I got it at a gun show in a set with a sharp finger. I do have to say that the stainless in both knives is a little lacking. I didn’t clean the folder after peeling an apple and it got rusty. I lost the Sharp Finger in my driveway in the snow once. Found it a couple of weeks later and the blade didn’t rust but it got a very nice patina to it.<o:p></o:p>
My “dress knife” is a Buck 505 “Knight”. Looks good with silver bolsters and wood inlays. I have owned several of these but I lose these more often than I change underwear.<o:p></o:p>
My work knife, besides the Buck 505, is a Gerber spring assist clip knife. Part of “The Answer” series. I bought this knife a few months ago, that’s right, I lost my other one. I think my seat belt hooked on the clip and pulled it out of my pocket. It probably fell out of the helicopter and landed on the ground so somewhere in Iowa is an inexpensive clip knife waiting to be picked up. This is my first spring assisted knife. I like the idea of one handed opening and closing.<o:p></o:p>
My ultimate goal is to get my blacksmithing shop set up, make some pattern welded/damascus blanks and make a Sharp Finger.<o:p></o:p>
The ‘Bonker<o:p></o:p>

Top Bottom