Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Give me your best Ideas on grass-like food plot around a new lake

Rford

I've got the chance to plant something around a newly built lake at a buddy's place. He has a new house there too but there's a creek on both sides and its a pretty good spot that I'd like to keep and improve. This lake is basically going to be his back yard. It's probably two or three acres of dirt....he threw down some fescue after the lake was built but its not going to do much (thankfully) and I went out today and frost seeded some dutch white clover on part of it hoping to invest the place with something tasty. But if there was something I could plant that would be "grass like" and be mowable but be a draw for turkeys and deer that would be great. Can't be switchgrass or anything that wouldn't look somewhat "yard like." Tall order, I know. But I don't know what's out there...orchardgrass, ryes, etc. and if I can get something going other than bluegrass or fescue I'd like to give it a shot ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ryegrass.....??

I've used rye grain but hadn't thought about the rye grass....thanks for the tip...I'll do a little research. Has to be better than blue or fescue.

There is also a wildlife mix...or you can just get the grass and add the clover...dbltree has a trial plot from last year. I think there is a southern and northern wildlife mix. Some of the ingredients of the mix you could prolly do without.

http://www.sucraseed.com/products_wildlife.php

The Sweet Spot High Sugar ryegrass/clover/chicory mix is pretty attractive and if you look in the clover thread in Dbltree's Corner you'll see what it looks like and deer eating the heck out of it!

I'm going to plant it in my lawn!! :way:

Grassy enough?

I looked at some photos of the clover with chickory and it looked a little rough for a "lawn." Maybe just the rye grass with dutch white clover would be the best.

Top Bottom