Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Demand for Mid-West Land

blake

Life Member
NEWS!

Demand for Mid-West Land Creates Real Estate Opportunity

WEST POINT, MS - Despite the current state of the nations real estate market the demand for recreational and investment property in the mid-west has created a need for real-estate brokers that specialize in land. Mossy Oak Properties is pleased to announce that it has teamed up with Brian Smith and Rodney Coats to form Mossy Oak Properties of the Heartland, offering consumers access to a dedicated network of land brokers throughout the states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, and north and central Missouri.

Smith and Coats have been business partners since 1988; founding SmitCo Eateries, brand developers for a number of fast food restaurant chains in Arkansas and Missouri. As avid outdoorsmen and real estate investors, developing the Mossy Oak Properties network in the hunting-rich Heartland region simply felt natural. "I began exploring this opportunity in August of 2008," explains Smith. "As I did my homework on the brand it became evident, from personal experiences with the brand as well as visiting with current Mossy Oak Properties franchisees, that this was a real no brainer for us. We consider this area the 'heart of America' and the people in it the 'DNA' of the Mossy Oak brand." Coats echoed Smith's sentiment, saying "we consider it a real privilege to be a part of the Mossy Oak family and will always protect the brand and what it stands for."

The duo's business operations have succeeded by "enabling good people," per Coats. "One factor that has sustained us is building partnerships with qualified people within our organization and giving them the ability to stretch their qualities and share in their successes and failures." Smith added that over the years they have tried to "use all the brains we have and borrow as much as we can. We will succeed by leveraging the Mossy Oak and Mossy Oak Properties brands and enabling other qualified land professionals in the process."

Toxey Haas, Chairman and Founder, Mossy Oak, stated, "The addition of Mossy Oak Properties of the Heartland signifies a quantum leap in both the geographic breadth and skilled depth of the team. They are land, family, and outdoor enthusiast just like us, whose primary objective is not only to bring recreational buyers and sellers together, but to become the very best in the nation at it! The American heartland is one of, if not THE premiere recreational areas in the country. I speak for all of us in saying that we are sincerely thrilled to have Mossy Oak Properties of the Heartland on board with us, sharing the vision and ideals of our great brand and team in this very key region"

For more information about Mossy Oak Properties of the Heartland, contact Brian Smith @ 479-409-6252 or via emailbriansmith@mossyoakproperties.com .

Mossy Oak Properties assist landowners, sportsmen and investors in their pursuit of the perfect piece of property. The Mossy Oak Properties network consists of more than 50 offices in sixteen states throughout the country. Offices are currently located in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.

Resa McClain Vickers, Mossy Oak Properties (866) 667-2289 or rvickers@mossyoak.com

This post is for informational purposes only. I am not affiliated with this company and I am not receiving any compensation for this post.

The future of hunting depends on you!

With 71 views of this thread as of 7:21 a.m. on April 13th, I would have thought there would have been more than one reply from members stating their thoughts on this topic. :thrwrck:

Seems to me they are getting into a crowded market and hoping the Mossy Oak brand will give them an advantage. I'm sure they may do some business in Iowa but the other states have less restrictions on NR so hopefully they sell it that way.

Seems to me they are getting into a crowded market and hoping the Mossy Oak brand will give them an advantage. I'm sure they may do some business in Iowa but the other states have less restrictions on NR so hopefully they sell it that way.
Or possibly another lobbyist for NR's in the future.

Looks like resident Iowa Sportsman should buy hunting gear from companies not associated with Mossy Oak. Maybe they wouldn't care, but it might get noticed.

WTH, looks like I can't buy Mossy Oak items anymore either!

Keep the NR tags as is and they'll have a hell of a time selling ground here, simple as that.

Hunt shows and videos,,like Mossy Oak have fueled the Big Buck craze. Only logical they get into the selling of the land, that supposedly harbors those Big Bucks. BIG Bucks$$ for sure.

Iowa has created a lot of the outsider demand by limiting NR tags, the result is the "Harley-Davidson" effect. Harley had waiting lists when the kept production to below demand, as soon as they increased the number of bikes sold and everyone could get one, the demand fell. The same is happening in Iowa, the limited number of tags has resulted in increased interest in Iowa and some NR's buying property.

If they increased the number of tags, the demand would spike for a year or two, resulting in higher land prices, then the market would correct itself and shift back to a normal recreational supply and demand curve and prices would fall back to normal levels, as the speculation and euphoria ended.

Major corrections in recreational land have already taken place in Illinois and Wisconsin and they have over the counter tags.

Maybe so, but Harley is producing more bikes. Not a lot more land being manufactured.

Iowa has created a lot of the outsider demand by limiting NR tags, the result is the "Harley-Davidson" effect. Harley had waiting lists when the kept production to below demand, as soon as they increased the number of bikes sold and everyone could get one, the demand fell. The same is happening in Iowa, the limited number of tags has resulted in increased interest in Iowa and some NR's buying property.

If they increased the number of tags, the demand would spike for a year or two, resulting in higher land prices, then the market would correct itself and shift back to a normal recreational supply and demand curve and prices would fall back to normal levels, as the speculation and euphoria ended.

Major corrections in recreational land have already taken place in Illinois and Wisconsin and they have over the counter tags.

They have teamed up with Boley real estate out of Keosaqua IA. They have planned on opening 9 more offices in Southern Iowa and Northern Missouri by 2014. Boley had a booth at the Classic. This company is invested thousands upon thousands of dollars, so dont think for a minute they wont float some of that cash towards the elected folks at the state house. Bad News in my book. I hope they come expecting a fight because a fight is what they are going to get.

Obviously the writing is on the wall. Buy land. Toxey Haas isnt coming to Iowa hoping the market improves. He has inside information.

That's because the prospect for shooting booners went down tremendously after those states started over the counter tags. Also the amount of recreational, or timber land in Iowa is no where near what it is in other states. It wouldn't take alot of money to close up the private land in Iowa if speculators were to buy up the timber land for trophy hunting. Then you would see resident shotgun hunters pushing grain fields like pheasant hunting.

Cedar Creek: They have always had over the counter tags in Wisconsin, the recent drop in rec land has nothing do with OTC. You are correct in that prices will be higher in areas where booners are present, but the correction in prices in places such as Buffalo County, Wisconsin--some land has dropped $2000 an acre in value (the best county in the nation for trophy bucks) is not the result of over the counter tags, and I think they still shoot more B & C bucks than any other county in the nation, despite the OTC tags.

That's because the prospect for shooting booners went down tremendously after those states started over the counter tags. Also the amount of recreational, or timber land in Iowa is no where near what it is in other states. It wouldn't take alot of money to close up the private land in Iowa if speculators were to buy up the timber land for trophy hunting. Then you would see resident shotgun hunters pushing grain fields like pheasant hunting.

Kinda what I was thinking, the entire state does not have a lot of timber such as in my home state of MO. There is only so much trophy buck habitat available so the right changes could make enough NR's buy land to really put a dent in in state hunters.

Somebody wants to start a business in your state and you all start crying. What about all the other companies out there that sell real estate. Have you ever sold a house? Most people use a realtor. I own ground in Iowa and it wouldn't bother me a bit if it wen't up in demand/value. Not a bad thing, unless you don't own ground.
From the management perspective you would be better off giving a NR landowner 1 buck tag a year as opposed to a resident landowner 3 buck tags a year. I sure don't think all of your big deer would disappear.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. Business opportunities. Less and less recreational ground every year due to urban expansion and many other reasons. Population growth. Less ground, more people, and a demand for it? A chance to make a buck. Good for them for identifying it. They have not done anything wrong and will continue to get my business. If it isn't them, it is someone else and technically, there are others already selling and advertising ground including members of this site. Including this site. Always has been and always will be. How is this bad for any of us? Landowner sells his ground to the person who wants it the most. Real estate agents, auctions, adds in the paper or on this site, all good ways to try and reach the potential buyer. What the heck?

Top Bottom