Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

River Bottoms

Blaster

PMA Member
We want to put a food plot on the bottoms of our land to attract deer, the only problem is it floods 3-4 times a year. Is there any food sorce that we could plant in there that would last?

Rye, AWP's

Do dbltree's rye and Austrian Winter Peas mix (i wouldn't do the clover cause it will flood out the next year) and I believe you will plant it in August. I did it last year and it worked unbelievably. Go to dbltrees's corner in this whitetail management section and I believe he has it under Cereal Grains. It will be the ticket, trust me!

Do dbltree's rye and Austrian Winter Peas mix (i wouldn't do the clover cause it will flood out the next year) and I believe you will plant it in August. I did it last year and it worked unbelievably. Go to dbltrees's corner in this whitetail management section and I believe he has it under Cereal Grains. It will be the ticket, trust me!

I would love to do rye. Can rye be under water for a day or two?

I'd go for an August plot. One thing that does well in flooding is Alsike clover. It's really cheap and only lasts a few years but who cares- just keep re-seeding it. If it floods so bad that it dies, not a big deal BUT it stands up really well to flooding. You can read more on it on places like Welter Seed's website.

If it were me, I'd try some clover now after you kill off area really good- alsike with maybe some white clover of some type too. OR, I'd wait til August and plant a combo of winter rye, winter peas and throw in the Alsike clover.

Alsike is a unique one that may stand some flooding for a bit BUT the August suggestion of rye and peas obviously will be fine.

Top Bottom