Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Real World / What do you think?

The info about Kansas not that concerned about Disease being spread thru food, and even allowing baiting is strange? Going against the tide. Odd? I assume Texas may be in this boat too.

Loneranger: Incidence is higher in bucks probably due expansion of range during rutting, which to me is all the more reason to manage habitat and the herd intensively, in an attempt to reduce reduce buck range, and build older age classes which in my opinion provides sentries to keep interlopers out. The byproduct of doe reduction, and increased buck population (and older age classes) is increased daylight sightings of mature deer..which has been my goal, and has been achieved for some time now.

Does hit food plots more? False on an intensively managed property, hunted properly. In fact, I actually see more bucks in food plots and utilize these for photo census.

New update here: I understand we did get 2 more positive test results here in my county recently, thanks to hunters cooperating with tissue sampling at our firearm check stations. These were located up river 8-10 miles, along with more positives in known CWD positive counties adjoining the Wisconsin border.

It will be very important for hunters in your State to cooperate with surveillance efforts such as testing. In Illinois these tests are performed free of charge to hunters. Some people may choose to stick their head in the sand by not cooperating due to concern about localized herd reduction efforts...not a good idea if we are to buy time for science to catch up.

Thank you!

Bob Coine
Heartland Studios, Inc. & Building Whitetail Paradise

I have heard the disease has been around for years just never recongized as anything until now and seems like there are still plenty of big bucks in every state and providence. I am sure Iowa already has CWD if every state surrounding us does, we just dont check for it often enough to find it yet. I think its natures way of thinning the deer herds down and we shouldnt be losing much sleep over the deal just my two cents

Does anyone know, do we actually check statewide? Or do we only check in the few counties that they are worried about it "getting" into Iowa??

Does anyone know, do we actually check statewide? Or do we only check in the few counties that they are worried about it "getting" into Iowa??

This was the first year they have emphasized checking for it, and I'm pretty sure they were looking statewide. We were approached in central Iowa so I'm sure they were checking on the borders as well.

I still have all the deer heads from this years harvest. Are they still looking for ones to test, and if so, who do I contact?

It looks as though the Iowa DNR has been doing monitoring for quite some time which is excellent. They state on the link above that they have a plan in place should CWD be found in the State...Have they made their plan public yet? It will be interesting to learn about their approach.

Plan A Thin the herd,,,Plan B Thin the herd...
Maybe this is a behind the scenes agenda kept quiet to not take away from the FB's and insurance companies thinking they are getting their way and in a future effort to keep CWD spread minimized?

Top Bottom