Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sf 219

Risto, I know I'll get roasted for this, but I'll say it anyway. I have always had the opinion that Iowa residents have the same opportunities to buy land as any non resident does, with maybe even a slight advantage due to our close proximity and awareness of land availability(if you do your homework and some networking). Let's compare a couple of things, if you look at the national wage index, the median average income for the U.S is just over 40K. Now look at the Iowa economy index and you will find that the median income in Iowa is slightly under 40K, not much of a discrepancy if you ask me! My point is that we as Iowa residents have the same opportunities to purchase land and make money as any one else does, you just have to be motivated enough to do it. Sure you may have to travel for work or spend a few years getting a college education, but the opportunities are there if you look. America is the land of opportunity, you just have to be motivated enough to go find those opportunities! I guess what I'm trying to say is that sure there are going to be NR's that come here and offer 5k an acre for some recreational land and the farmer might sell, but if you never went and offered to buy the same farm then you are the one that lost out. We can't fault these guys for wanting land here, this place is awesome (and not just for hunting). I just get sick of guys whining about losing opportunities, when in all reality they aren't putting in the effort to find hunting ground or establish relationships with land owners or take them a gift or help with farm chores, I guess it's just like any thing else in life, the harder you work, the more you will be rewarded! If guys don't want this state to change than be proactive! Send the emails to your representatives, get involved with the IBA and other local organizations, lead by example. If guys just sit and bitch about everything, life and it's opportunities will pass you buy. Just my 2 cents!

Dedgeez,
I agree with you totally.

Believe me your are preaching to the choir here.

What I was meaning to say with the skyrocketing cost of the land from supply and demand if this passes that I do not think many people would be able to afford it except a select few. I am looking into the future for our younger generation and the sport of hunting.

Risto, I know I'll get roasted for this, but I'll say it anyway. I have always had the opinion that Iowa residents have the same opportunities to buy land as any non resident does, with maybe even a slight advantage due to our close proximity and awareness of land availability(if you do your homework and some networking). Let's compare a couple of things, if you look at the national wage index, the median average income for the U.S is just over 40K. Now look at the Iowa economy index and you will find that the median income in Iowa is slightly under 40K, not much of a discrepancy if you ask me! My point is that we as Iowa residents have the same opportunities to purchase land and make money as any one else does, you just have to be motivated enough to do it. Sure you may have to travel for work or spend a few years getting a college education, but the opportunities are there if you look. America is the land of opportunity, you just have to be motivated enough to go find those opportunities! I guess what I'm trying to say is that sure there are going to be NR's that come here and offer 5k an acre for some recreational land and the farmer might sell, but if you never went and offered to buy the same farm then you are the one that lost out. We can't fault these guys for wanting land here, this place is awesome (and not just for hunting). I just get sick of guys whining about losing opportunities, when in all reality they aren't putting in the effort to find hunting ground or establish relationships with land owners or take them a gift or help with farm chores, I guess it's just like any thing else in life, the harder you work, the more you will be rewarded! If guys don't want this state to change than be proactive! Send the emails to your representatives, get involved with the IBA and other local organizations, lead by example. If guys just sit and bitch about everything, life and it's opportunities will pass you buy. Just my 2 cents!

Not really a valid argument comparing Iowa's median income to the nation as a whole.

How about comparing the number of Iowan's who make over $200k a year to the number in states with large metropolitan areas.

Let's face it, 80 acres of recreational ground that used to sell for $80,000 is now selling for $200,000 and if the doors are opened up to guaranteed NR tags that could rise to $400,000 or more. Possibly much more.

I don't know too many resident guys that could afford half a million to buy ground to hunt on.

Not really a valid argument comparing Iowa's median income to the nation as a whole.

How about comparing the number of Iowan's who make over $200k a year to the number in states with large metropolitan areas.

Actually it's a very valid argument, especially if you look at it like you are. You are getting into the law of averages! If you were to break down the number of people who make a good living in Iowa based on the population of Iowa, and take into consideration cost of living here as compared to those areas you are referring to, and the number of people making that same amount based on the population of that area, I think you would be very surprised at the results.

Regardless, I understand the whole limited resource argument (supply and demand if you will) and I understand completely why we should be concerned. Hence the reason I am opposed to more NR interference in this state.

I more than agree with you guys, I was just pointing out that "we" as residents have some damn good opportunities in front of us, and we need to utilize them, or someone else will.

From the emails I've received back it sounds like the Senate Natural Resouce committee agrees with us and SF 219 is not going anywhere.

From what I've heard from the House Natural Recource and Environmental committee on HF 2047 is similar, they are concerned about the Iowa resident and deer population. But this one is still in the pipeline, we'll see/hear about it soon!

If we let them know our opinions, they will listen!

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion. Many pieces that are bought- if enough of a down-payment - will pay for themselves with the income and tax advantages.
And to another question, absolutely there will be plenty of land to be bought at ANY time. Farmers are often willing to unload "junk" ground for a great price AND many land owners are now in their 70's & 80's.

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion.
I'd have to disagree with you on a guy making $10/hr. being able to afford a small land purchase. I don't even see how a guy can buy a home and support a family on $10/hr. We would all own land if it wasn't a financial burden. Many people are still looking for a job, and many more would like to find a better paying job. Unfortunately the pay scale is below the national average in Iowa, and that is the reason many NRLO's won't move here.

A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion.

Sure he could, if he wanted to live in the poor house.:)

I just hope they dont bury this one and then sell the 6000 extra tags! That is the one that would open up the flood gates for resident outfitters to lease up all your land! By selling nrlo tags at least that cuts out the greedy outfitter that knows who owns every farm around and uses the extra 6000 nr that will be heres money to lease it out from under you!! Be carefull what you wish for.

DEDGEEZ

Not sure I follow your logic? What is the significance of people with discretionary income on a per capita basis in the state?
If there are 100 times more nonresidents than residents with the resources’ to pay a higher price for land it’s going to rise regardless.
I have already bought my farm so it’s a mute point for me; however I have friends here in the state that I would like to see them and their families enjoy land stewardship as we have, and ideally not limited to a 5 acre piece.
On the other hand I’m all for the free market.;)

Just trying to follow you is all:way:.

I just hope they dont bury this one and then sell the 6000 extra tags! That is the one that would open up the flood gates for resident outfitters to lease up all your land! By selling nrlo tags at least that cuts out the greedy outfitter that knows who owns every farm around and uses the extra 6000 nr that will be heres money to lease it out from under you!! Be carefull what you wish for.

Both of these bills would be the beginning to the end for the
hunting here in Iowa as we know it.

Just keep letting our legislators know how we feel and how much
money we pump into our economy on a yearly basis and not just during
the hunting season and property tax time.

It is also helpful that they know that they work for us here in Iowa.

From what I've heard from the House Natural Recource and Environmental committee on HF 2047 is similar, they are concerned about the Iowa resident and deer population. But this one is still in the pipeline, we'll see/hear about it soon!

If we let them know our opinions, they will listen!

The House is less friendly to Ia. hunter than the Senate. It would be a good idea to email the people listed below.

House Natural Resource Members
Henry V. Rayhons (R, District 11), Chair
Jeff Smith (R, District 6), Vice Chair
Curt Hanson (D, District 90), Ranking Member
Richard D. Arnold (R, District 72)
Clel Baudler (R, District 58)
Joel Fry (R, District 95)
Mary Gaskill (D, District 93)
Bob Hager (R, District 16)
Chris Hall (D, District 2)
Dan Kelley (D, District 41)
Mark Lofgren (R, District 80)
Steven F. Lukan (R, District 32)
Jim Lykam (D, District 85)
Helen Miller (D, District 49)
Dan Rasmussen (R, District 23)
Sharon S. Steckman (D, District 13)
Annette Sweeney (R, District 44)
Phyllis Thede (D, District 81)
James Van Engelenhoven (R, District 71)
Guy Vander Linden (R, District 75)
John Wittneben (D, District 7)

DEDGEEZ

Not sure I follow your logic? What is the significance of people with discretionary income on a per capita basis in the state?
If there are 100 times more nonresidents than residents with the resources’ to pay a higher price for land it’s going to rise regardless.
Not if we don't allow the NRLO to hunt bucks in Iowa every year! Make them wait every three years like everyone else, and i don't see land prices changing because of NRLO's influence.

CEDAR CREEK

That is absolutely my point.:way::way:

It has nothing to do with how many Iowa residents could or couldn’t afford the higher prices.

Not if we don't allow the NRLO to hunt bucks in Iowa every year! Make them wait every three years like everyone else, and i don't see land prices changing because of NRLO's influence.

Cedar,
Are you saying if we make them wait every three years like everyone else there will not be any influence on the land prices

or

If we let them get a NRLO tag with 80 acres of land like the resident there will not be a change in the land prices?

Cedar,
Are you saying if we make them wait every three years like everyone else there will not be any influence on the land prices

or

If we let them get a NRLO tag with 80 acres of land like the resident there will not be a change in the land prices?

Tony I would think if things don't change we wouldn't see much of a change in prices. If NRLO can get a tag every year you bet prices will change.

To me I'm more concerned about land access than land prices. That and I would really hate to see a bunch of bigger chunks of land get bought and broken down into 80 acre chunks. I can't afford land right now but as long as we keep the flood gates closed there's hope for my dream down the road...

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion.
I'd have to disagree with you on a guy making $10/hr. being able to afford a small land purchase. I don't even see how a guy can buy a home and support a family on $10/hr. We would all own land if it wasn't a financial burden. Many people are still looking for a job, and many more would like to find a better paying job. Unfortunately the pay scale is below the national average in Iowa, and that is the reason many NRLO's won't move here.
$10/hour- that group after tax credits, deductions, etc will essentially pay no taxes (income taxes) - if you want evidence of that, let me know (only the top 52% of wage earners pay income taxes when it's all said and done). Ok, so you WANT land bad enough SO you work 65 hours a week SO you can save (nothing permanent BUT just so you can get ground and save $). Ok- that's $650 a week. Ok, so you get a small apartment OR room with someone- $600/month living (OK- so if you have 2 kids, maybe it would be harder & not do-able BUT in SOME of those instances, the wife might work enough to pay for child costs). You eek by with food ($150/month for a single guy) and maybe 300-400 in other expenses like gas, etc, etc- let's just say $350. SO, INCOME of $2860 per month (650x4.4 weeks on avg per month) - 600/lower cost rent - $500 gas/food, etc LEAVES $1760 per month. You save $1500 of that for ONE YEAR = $18,000. At 1/3rd down, you can buy a $54,000 farm AND at $2,000 per acre you buy 27 acres. I know this BECAUSE THIS WAS ME 10 years ago. Some of my friends in FAR BETTER circumstances will ALWAYS have an excuse they can't get land for the next 40 years. Kids, don't want to work that much, want to travel, didn't prepare, can't save, like electronics & new gadgets, etc. I have one buddy who makes $38k a year that bought a $25k Bass boat BUT could NEVER afford a 25 acre parcel of land. And sure, I get it, there's folks with 4 kids and wife doesn't WANT to work- ok- that's a choice too. OR bad stuff happens, etc, etc, etc. There's always 5 MILLION reasons folks can't buy ground. Maybe someone isn't willing to work an extra job OR work more than 40 hours a week (not saying working 60-70 hours is FUN but it won't kill you!) - that's a CHOICE too. For the FRACTION of guys that are willing to sacrifice for a period & be VERY disciplined, there's always a way to make it happen. And sure, I know you're putting all sorts of holes in my random guesses on income, extra expenses, other life issues, etc- I know my math is not perfect and you're thinking of all these scenarios why folks can't buy ground BUT the folks who REALLY want to and are willing to do what it takes, will always find a way.

Last edited:
I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. I know this BECAUSE THIS WAS ME 10 years ago. Some of my friends in FAR BETTER circumstances will ALWAYS have an excuse they can't get land for the next 40 years. Kids, don't want to work that much, want to travel, didn't prepare, can't save, like electronics & new gadgets, etc. I have one buddy who makes $38k a year that bought a $25k Bass boat BUT could NEVER afford a 25 acre parcel of land. And sure, I get it, there's folks with 4 kids and wife doesn't WANT to work- ok- that's a choice too. OR bad stuff happens, etc, etc, etc. There's always 5 MILLION reasons folks can't buy ground. For the FRACTION of guys that are willing to sacrifice for a period & be VERY disciplined, there's always a way to make it happen. The folks who REALLY want to and are willing to do what it takes, will always find a way.
agree.gif

I think the word "gives" is a little mis-leading.... There is a $1000 a year fee each year you would elect to participate.... Would you rather see this or more NR licenses if you had to choose?

We are not going to see either! So don't sweat it.

Top Bottom