Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sf 219

JNRBRONC-

Not positive what your metaphor on “throwing in the towel” is representing in this discussion?
The question is for those who have not yet been fortunate enough to buy a farm; how would sligh1’s numbers work at 4,000 + / acre?
I doubt there is much debate on the increase in land prices that would follow if the presently discussed bill passes.

Just pulling for the resident underdog! :way:

Last time I checked it takes two to buy and sell land. If the so called NR land rush would happen at record prices, which is up for debate if this passes, but for now we'll say it happens. Aren't you guys who oppose the bill potentially taking money out the sellers pocket, if he chooses to sell, who in most cases is a Iowa resident? Probably your relative, neighbor, friend, associate? Wow, maybe a farmer who thought he owned "junk" land suddenly is doing ok for himself and family. Oh, but that might displace a bowhunter, sorry, my bad. I would like to see a poll of how farmers & resident landowners feel about the proposal. I guarantee it would be a lot different than stated here.

Last edited:
JNRBRONC-

how would sligh1’s numbers work at 4,000 + / acre?
:way:

Well it would get you 13.5 acres if you used my #, exactly half! :) Gotta start somewhere though! That's what I did, SCRAPED to start with my 1st little piece, improved it, sold it and bought bigger- at the same time working REALLY REALLY HARD to earn more money, save & get myself into a better position. Getting land will NEVER be easy, no matter what the price is.
Aren't you guys who oppose the bill potentially taking money out the sellers pocket

I see what you are saying here. I do own a nice size farm & I know my value would go up. WHATEVER side of the issue a guy is on, I think MOST guys want the best decisions made for the state, herd, hunting, access, etc, etc OVER the price of their land going up. I see what you're saying though.

Last edited:
I would like to see a poll of how farmers & resident landowners feel about the proposal. I guarantee it would be a lot different than stated here.

I think you might be surprised on what that poll tells you. I am a resident landowner and I expressed my opinion on this with my Senator yesterday, thanks to the IBA for letting me know this was proposed. :way:

JNRBRONC-

Not positive what your metaphor on “throwing in the towel” is representing in this discussion?
Well, I thought that you were giving up/"throwing in the towel", assuming that the numbers wouldn't work and that land would be $4K/acre. I think if one shops around, they should be able to find land under $4k/acre. But I know that would be a challenge in Johnson County, Polk County, Linn County, etc. A person might need to drive a little from where they live to get affordable land. Also, some of the best deals are private sales, tough to find but can be a bargain.

The old saying, if there is a will, there is a way, is the credo I live by.

SLIGH1

That I agree 100% with you! :way::way:

I too have sacrificed for my piece, and am happier all the time for it!:)

Im with you Skip. There are plenty of guys who could buy land but don't want to commit to it. I finally got my first piece but it didn't happen over night, going to college not once but twice, a mountain of student loans, a couple different jobs, and alot of saving. I lucked out and make pretty good money now but I firmly believe someone could buy the same amount of ground with only making half of what I do. I know I will be buying more as soon as I get these student loans paid down. I just hope a bill like this doesn't make it harder to do so when that time comes.

We are not going to see either! So don't sweat it.
Live long enough and you will. Nothing stays the same forever.

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. folks who REALLY want to and are willing to do what it takes, will always find a way.

Set your mind to it and you can accomplish anything in life!

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion. $10/hour- that group after tax credits, deductions, etc will essentially pay no taxes (income taxes) - if you want evidence of that, let me know (only the top 52% of wage earners pay income taxes when it's all said and done). Ok, so you WANT land bad enough SO you work 65 hours a week SO you can save (nothing permanent BUT just so you can get ground and save $). Ok- that's $650 a week. Ok, so you get a small apartment OR room with someone- $600/month living (OK- so if you have 2 kids, maybe it would be harder & not do-able BUT in SOME of those instances, the wife might work enough to pay for child costs). You eek by with food ($150/month for a single guy) and maybe 300-400 in other expenses like gas, etc, etc- let's just say $350. SO, INCOME of $2860 per month (650x4.4 weeks on avg per month) - 600/lower cost rent - $500 gas/food, etc LEAVES $1760 per month. You save $1500 of that for ONE YEAR = $18,000. At 1/3rd down, you can buy a $54,000 farm AND at $2,000 per acre you buy 27 acres. I know this BECAUSE THIS WAS ME 10 years ago. Some of my friends in FAR BETTER circumstances will ALWAYS have an excuse they can't get land for the next 40 years. Kids, don't want to work that much, want to travel, didn't prepare, can't save, like electronics & new gadgets, etc. I have one buddy who makes $38k a year that bought a $25k Bass boat BUT could NEVER afford a 25 acre parcel of land. And sure, I get it, there's folks with 4 kids and wife doesn't WANT to work- ok- that's a choice too. OR bad stuff happens, etc, etc, etc. There's always 5 MILLION reasons folks can't buy ground. Maybe someone isn't willing to work an extra job OR work more than 40 hours a week (not saying working 60-70 hours is FUN but it won't kill you!) - that's a CHOICE too. For the FRACTION of guys that are willing to sacrifice for a period & be VERY disciplined, there's always a way to make it happen. And sure, I know you're putting all sorts of holes in my random guesses on income, extra expenses, other life issues, etc- I know my math is not perfect and you're thinking of all these scenarios why folks can't buy ground BUT the folks who REALLY want to and are willing to do what it takes, will always find a way.

Sligh,
I couldn't agree more.

I live by that principle but as time goes on to be honest my time with my kids and familyis way more valuable than any land or deer. That is my choice I know.
I just hope before the gates are open that the price does not skyrocket.

Tony I would think if things don't change we wouldn't see much of a change in prices. If NRLO can get a tag every year you bet prices will change.

To me I'm more concerned about land access than land prices. That and I would really hate to see a bunch of bigger chunks of land get bought and broken down into 80 acre chunks. I can't afford land right now but as long as we keep the flood gates closed there's hope for my dream down the road...

I know what you are saying Justin.
I do not think that people realize though how much the resident
hunter gives to the mom and pop shops in Iowa compared to a non resident.

Keeping writing to your legislators they are listening.

I think you might be surprised on what that poll tells you. I am a resident landowner and I expressed my opinion on this with my Senator yesterday, thanks to the IBA for letting me know this was proposed. :way:

I agree with 150 class on this issue, I too am a resident landowner. :way:

As an Iowa landowner my alliances are with the resident hunter, the good of Iowa’s deer herd, the heritage of hunting in Iowa, and the future hunting opportunities for our youth.

I am NOT against non resident hunting in Iowa. I simply would like the number of allocated NR tags to remain as they are.

I also would like to see the NR & resident tag loopholes discontinued.

As an IBA Area Representative I don’t always agree with everything the IBA supports or doesn’t support.

However as a whole, I am glad IBA is there for all of us. The IBA is a voice for the Iowa bow & gun hunter alike. Often opposing those whom have a personal hidden agenda. Agenda’s that are detrimental to the State of Iowa, the Iowa resident, and the wildlife in this great state.

Animated-Flag-Iowa.gif
http://www.iowabowhunters.org/

Last edited:
Well, I thought that you were giving up/"throwing in the towel", assuming that the numbers wouldn't work and that land would be $4K/acre. I think if one shops around, they should be able to find land under $4k/acre. But I know that would be a challenge in Johnson County, Polk County, Linn County, etc. A person might need to drive a little from where they live to get affordable land. Also, some of the best deals are private sales, tough to find but can be a bargain.

The old saying, if there is a will, there is a way, is the credo I live by.

:way: I guess this is exactly the point I was trying to make and I think we all pretty much agree that with some blood, sweat, and tears you can realize your goals. The old business motto of "opportunity cost" comes into play majorly when deciding to purchase land.

In the end land prices are not my only concern. What really gets under my skin is this group of NR's messing around in our politics. (This is exactly what i told my rep.) Why do you think this bill was introduced by a couple of guys from North central Iowa? Not as many constituents to answer to as someone from the Eastern or Southern part of the state. This whole thing smells rotten to me. I would love to see how those campaign contributions were funneled in.

These are NRLO asking Iowa politicians for the ability to better manage the deer on their land and pursue their passion to hunt them.... they pay taxes to the state of Iowa....I don't see why you would oppose this basic freedom ....There is the potential for a lot of money for the DNR here that would benefit all Iowans....

I absolutely believe in what Dedgeez said. I personally think MOST folks with ANY income range could afford to buy land IF disciplined and motivated enough. A guy making $10/hour (or working an extra part time job to cover the cost) COULD put together a 5-20 acre piece in many cases, in my strong opinion. $10/hour- that group after tax credits, deductions, etc will essentially pay no taxes (income taxes) - if you want evidence of that, let me know (only the top 52% of wage earners pay income taxes when it's all said and done). Ok, so you WANT land bad enough SO you work 65 hours a week SO you can save (nothing permanent BUT just so you can get ground and save $). Ok- that's $650 a week. Ok, so you get a small apartment OR room with someone- $600/month living (OK- so if you have 2 kids, maybe it would be harder & not do-able BUT in SOME of those instances, the wife might work enough to pay for child costs). You eek by with food ($150/month for a single guy) and maybe 300-400 in other expenses like gas, etc, etc- let's just say $350. SO, INCOME of $2860 per month (650x4.4 weeks on avg per month) - 600/lower cost rent - $500 gas/food, etc LEAVES $1760 per month. You save $1500 of that for ONE YEAR = $18,000. At 1/3rd down, you can buy a $54,000 farm AND at $2,000 per acre you buy 27 acres. I know this BECAUSE THIS WAS ME 10 years ago. Some of my friends in FAR BETTER circumstances will ALWAYS have an excuse they can't get land for the next 40 years. Kids, don't want to work that much, want to travel, didn't prepare, can't save, like electronics & new gadgets, etc. I have one buddy who makes $38k a year that bought a $25k Bass boat BUT could NEVER afford a 25 acre parcel of land. And sure, I get it, there's folks with 4 kids and wife doesn't WANT to work- ok- that's a choice too. OR bad stuff happens, etc, etc, etc. There's always 5 MILLION reasons folks can't buy ground. Maybe someone isn't willing to work an extra job OR work more than 40 hours a week (not saying working 60-70 hours is FUN but it won't kill you!) - that's a CHOICE too. For the FRACTION of guys that are willing to sacrifice for a period & be VERY disciplined, there's always a way to make it happen. And sure, I know you're putting all sorts of holes in my random guesses on income, extra expenses, other life issues, etc- I know my math is not perfect and you're thinking of all these scenarios why folks can't buy ground BUT the folks who REALLY want to and are willing to do what it takes, will always find a way.

I don't think your math is realistic but I do agree that if a person is willing to make enough sacrifices they can make it happen.

The problem is that although a lot of guys might really want to spend money on hunting ground the reality of life is that there are other priorities that take precedence. Childcare, health insurance, mortgages, food, clothing, utilities, college, etc. What's more important buying 80 acres for the sole purpose of trying to kill a deer with big antlers or providing for your family?

There is no way they can manage the DEER on their land. I don't know many NRs that can come down here for more than 1-2 weeks per year outside of the retired folks. How many does do you think they can kill in that amount of time? Plus they would have to make the NR doe tags at a highly reduced rate because most people couldn't afford it at the current pricing.

These folks plain and simple want to come and shoot their buck every year. I don't blame them. It does drive me crazy how they are acting like little kids about it. They knew the rules before they bought, there is no reason why they should try to change them. They can sugar coat it all they want but all they care about is themselves. They don't care about IOWA or other non - land owning nonresidents. If they did they would be pushing hard to double the amount of nonresident tags as well which I am sure they are since it would increase their odds of drawing.

These are NRLO asking Iowa politicians for the ability to better manage the deer on their land and pursue their passion to hunt them.... they pay taxes to the state of Iowa....I don't see why you would oppose this basic freedom ....There is the potential for a lot of money for the DNR here that would benefit all Iowans....

Nothing in the Constitution guarantees you a deer license based on land ownership.

NRLO pay property taxes. I pay property taxes also, probably a lot more because I live here I opay property taxes on a home which is a heck of a lot more than the taxes on ag ground. Oh, I also pay a percentage of every dollar I earn in state income taxes, and also another percentage of all those already taxed dollars in sales taxes on the items I purchase. The NRLO pays a fraction of the taxes that I pay to my state every year.

Nothing in the Constitution guarantees you a deer license based on land ownership.

The NRLO pays a fraction of the taxes that I pay to my state every year.

:way::way::way::way:

I do not think that people realize how much money the resident puts in
the economy over a 365 day calendar year.

Displace the residents with these new laws and a lot of businesses will find out.

The basic freedom I was referring to was our freedom to lobby as a group, NRLO, for something we think we would like changed..... This happens all the time, all over our country....

The basic freedom I was referring to was our freedom to lobby as a group, NRLO, for something we think we would like changed..... This happens all the time, all over our country....

Would you like this law changed for the betterment(don't know if that is a word) for the state of Iowa or for the self satisfaction of getting a deer tag every year?

Sometimes change is not a good thing.

Top Bottom