Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer by the numbers

Fishbonker

Life Member
Some highlights from the State of the Deer Herd Address delivered by Tom Litchfield, Iowa Deer Biologist at the IBA Annual meeting on Saturday.

2010/2011 harvest:

Licenses sold: 394,298

Total Reported Kill: 127,094 (est. 84.5% compliance with reporting. Est. 150,500 deer killed)

Antlered Bucks: 46,934

Button Bucks: 13,150

Shed Bucks: 1,815

Does: 65,195

% of all kills that were does: 51%

Success rate for all methods of take: 32%

Harvest for 2010/2011 was 7% lower than 2009/2010 (9,410 fewer deer).

There were 11,249 fewer licenses issued in 2010/2011 than 2009/2010. 8,862 fewer antlerless, 2,387 fewer either sex. Paid licenses decreased by 10,441 and landowner/tenant licenses dropped by 808.

Proposed changes for 2011: 4 counties will be dropped from the late antlerless season and the season will be shorter, quotas will be decreased in several counties, 18 counties will be dropped from the November antlerless season. Early muzzle loader hunters will not be able to purchase an antlerless tag for either shotgun season.

The report may be somewhere on the DNR website. It is much more detailed in numbers and reasoning than I transcribed.

We were given the opportunity to ask questions about anything DNR related.

Question: How many antlerless only NR shotgun tags are available very year? Answer: 4,000 (total 10,000 NR tags available).

Question: How many NR antlerless shotgun tags went unsold this year? Answer, 2,000.

Question: There was a rumor floating around that bow hunters were not going to be able to harvest more than 1 bird/season much like gun hunters. Answer: Not true.

Question: Where in the rule making process is the wounded game tracking with a dog? They will be proposed soon and will be open for public comment. The rules may be in place this fall.

Those are the ones I remember, probably because I asked them. Anyway, the report is probably available on line, but I have my copy so I’m not gonna try to find it. Guess I’m just lazy that way.

Do you have a list of the 18 counties that will be dropped............come.......on.........Muscatine
pray.gif

Darn I read that wrong thought there was 18 counties that were dropping antlerless tags all together......wishful thinking. Muscatine is already out of the November season.

When will they release the new quotas?

For NE Iowa guys.NO November or late antlerless seasons. Quotas reduced in all 4 counties. Clayton down to 2500 Allamakee down to 2700 Fayette to 1300 and Winneshiek down to 2100. All TENTATIVE. could be changed by public or political pressure.

For NE Iowa guys.NO November or late antlerless seasons. Quotas reduced in all 4 counties. Clayton down to 2500 Allamakee down to 2700 Fayette to 1300 and Winneshiek down to 2100. All TENTATIVE. could be changed by public or political pressure.

That will be interesting to see.

I took a walk with my district forester yesterday and he said that Clayton was going to come down but Allamakee was going to increase theirs.

I know I am the minority here but I really like the late antlerless season.
It helps me shoot a few more does with a few of my friends that do not have the season open for them.

That's good news! They probably should have done this last year.

I totally agree. The area I frequent in Allamakee county; the numbers are way down over the previous two years? I applaud the dnr for taking action on this. Another year of these liberal limits and the county would be like Northern Minnesota.

Maybe some of you can clear this up for me...why is there a proposal for early muzzleloader hunters to not be able to get an antlerless tag for either shotgun season? This doesn't seem to make sense to me. I understand why today if you hunt any sex early ML, you can't get a buck tag for shotgun...I get that...but antlerless?

As long as your within the allowable tag quota for your county, I don't see the problem. Its not like guys in early ML are dropping does left and right like you see in shotgun season. I'm sure I can't speak for all early ML hunters, but I think you see my point.

If for some reason it will help the wildlife or deer herd, I'm all for it, don't get me wrong. I just don't see how this is the case. But it would still be allowed to get a doe tag for shotgun, and then get a buck tag for late muzzleloader? What's the difference? Maybe I'm just too dumb to see it...lol

Just wondering because I've been enjoying early ML season last few years (any sex) and I still like to get a few doe tags for shotgun season and go with friends that only hunt shotgun weekend every year.

**P.S. -- Otherwise, I generally like the proposed changes...

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Maybe some of you can clear this up for me...why is there a proposal for early muzzleloader hunters to not be able to get an antlerless tag for either shotgun season?

I would guess it is the party hunting loop hole, shooting a buck in early MZ then shooting another on some one else's tag during shotgun.

Just a guess and I'm not arguing either way.

Yeah I dont understand why the late muzzy wasnt included. The party hunt lope hole is getting abused.

Top Bottom