Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legal question?

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
I can't find anywhere in the Iowa regs that state that you can not kill two birds in the same day, as long as you have 2 archery only tags. So, can a bow hunter with 2 archery only tags, shoot both birds on opening day of 1st season? Thanks

I am not sure I am remembering this correctly or not...but I think there was a time when the regs explicitly said you cannot shoot more than one bird per day. Can anyone confirm?

But I remember being present in a local sporting goods store when a man brought in 2 gobblers, both shot that morning, and he was happy and getting his picture taken, etc, when somebody informed him that it was not legal to tag 2 birds on the same day, etc. This would have been about 15 years ago or so.

Is it such a thing as it used to be prohibited, but is no longer a problem?

This is how it reads now.

Daily bag and season possession limit is one bearded or male wild turkey for each valid license and transportation tag issued to the hunter.

Daver, did he shoot them both with a gun, as this has never been allowed on the same day? Gun hunters, or a combo license(gun or bow may be used) have always been a deal where the 2nd bird had to be a 4th season kill. I dont know how long archery only tags have been out, but when you purchase an archery only tag, it is good for all 4 seasons, and each hunter is allowed a 2 bird limit, so each archery tag is good for all 4 seasons.

Last edited:
If you dont specify you want archery only tags, and you buy 2 combo licenses by mistake, but are only going to bow hunt them, then one of your bow kills has to be 4th season.

I asked a DNR officer this specific question at the classic and Limb is correct. :way: Archery only

I asked a DNR officer this specific question at the classic and Limb is correct. :way: Archery only

I could be wrong but Im guessing if someone was to get two 4th season gun/bow combo tags they would be allowed to shoot both in the same day as well.

Daver, did he shoot them both with a gun, as this has never been allowed on the same day? Gun hunters, or a combo license(gun or bow may be used) have always been a deal where the 2nd bird had to be a 4th season kill. I dont know how long archery only tags have been out, but when you purchase an archery only tag, it is good for all 4 seasons, and each hunter is allowed a 2 bird limit, so each archery tag is good for all 4 seasons.

It was quite awhile ago, but my hazy recollection is that he shot both with a gun, but during the 4th season when he could have 2 valid tags, so he was good on that part. His reaction told me that he didn't realize he had made a mistake, I guess he would have been foolish to bring them in for pictures if he knew it was a violation. :D

Elsewhere, I see that Limb indicated that the language changed a few years ago, that sounds right to me and would explain why so many years ago this guy had a problem, one that doesn't appear to be an issue these days. I think that clears things up for me.

Top Bottom