Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mushrooms?

Captain,

Do you think that soon?

I am thinking more like two weeks. in far NE Iowa.

My asparagus is peeking through in my yard. If we get a few days in the 70s and nights in the 50's we will have shrooms like crazy. We finally got the moisture now we just need the temps back.

Founda mix of 206 greys and yellows yesterday.. id say they popped very well this wknd.. nothing big yet though

Sometimes you just forget what they look like until you see your first of the season.

Drove around a lot of trees for about 3 hours saturday, and got skunked on all but one tree...which was loaded with small grays. They were very fresh, and I would've liked to have let them grow more, but the tree was in plain sight right in the middle of a popular park (and I was hungry!).

Buttery mushrooms go down great with massive quantities of beer! :drink2:

My asparagus is peeking through in my yard. If we get a few days in the 70s and nights in the 50's we will have shrooms like crazy. We finally got the moisture now we just need the temps back.

I couldn't agree with you more but looking at the 10 day for NE Iowa I do not see any 70's or any night's above 50. :eek:

Just a note.. we haven't found any around dead elms yet.. they've allbeen around river birch and sycamores

couple pics

222670_10150182581624609_500039608_6438014_7497561_n.jpg

222656_10150182636749609_500039608_6438579_4942884_n.jpg

and my girlfriend found her first shed... she yelled out "a shed!" and ran and grabbed it before I could get an atl..ha
222457_10150182636149609_500039608_6438577_7288531_n.jpg

Last edited:
How long do they keep popping up a week or two?

under the right conditions, i find em around here for a month and a half or so.. the biggest factor late in the game that keeps me from searching for them anymore is the green up gets to tall to find them easily

found about 60 in taylor county on thursday. Kinda had a range of small fresh greys to a few big ol yellows. Had a nice south facing hill that had quite a few yellows on it and even had a few that had stems rotting away and falling down already.

Going to look tomorrow when I'm done turkey hunting. Plenty of moisture. Need heat! Haven't heard of anybody finding anything yet around me. Northeast Iowa

I find them on the edge of my yard!! Can't eat them anymore ! Make me hurl!! :confused: Sell them for $5.oo a LB.!!!!!!:D

I find them on the edge of my yard!! Can't eat them anymore ! Make me hurl!! :confused: Sell them for $5.oo a LB.!!!!!!:D

My cousin use to sit along 61 by bluegrass and sell them to passers-by for $15 per lb and that was prob 15 yrs ago.. should be able to get at least $20 at the farmers market I would think.. maybe even $30.. or take a pile of them up to chicago and sell em for $50

Maybe I'm wrong and someone please correct me if so, but didnt Iowa make some type of law now that you need to have some kind of mushroom certification in order to sell them. I remember Iowa State offering some kind of class that allowed you to sell them.

Top Bottom