Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot in woods?

Rauk42

Does anyone know if or what to plant to try and start a food plot in the woods where there wouldnt be much sunlight? Thanks

I know if you search the old posts in this forum you will find at least one or two posts to this subject that will provide a lot of good info.

Short, short version...sunlight and soil PH are going to be your two biggest areas to address.

I have biologic clover plus planted in the woods by one of my tree stands and I over seeded it in early september last year with biologic maximum and they both came up awesome... it was pretty much a dirt patch until it started growing again this spring

If you really wanted to get a little crazy- you COULD girdle some of the low quality trees & spray with Tordon to open up the canopy a little.

Thanks guys, when would be the best time to plant clover? Whats in the Biologic Maxium?

Now or in the fall/late summer. If you're gonna do clover, I'd seed oats, berseem & Alice White clover.

Could you put winter rye in the woods too? I'm going to plant alot of that and wonder if it would grow in the woods? Could I plant that with the clover too? If so when can I plant those?

I like planting sugar beets just because they can last through a good chunk of the winter if you plant during spring and then in early fall. However, I am not sure how well they will grow in the timber.

You can plant winter wheat or winter rye with your clover. If you plant those, you'd plant in late August-ish.

We plant Imperial Clover in the timbers it is awesome. we have little runways from old logging roads. Grows well in shaded areas. We planted some new clover plots about 2 weeks ago. This time we planted it with alfalfa and oats. Looks great so far just need some heat.

Go to Welterseed.com and order your seed individually and save a ton of money.

Thanks guys for all the help. Yeah I've been on the welter seed website, think I'm going to order today. I've got alot to order, over 500 lbs hope the shipping isnt going to kill me. Thanks again!

Top Bottom