Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

No need to cut the roots back, they will penetrate those pots and will prune themselves with air....I would plant the seedlings out when they get to be about a foot tall in those containers.

Just check and make sure they don't try to circle in the bottom in 2-3 weeks as the roots should be down there easily by that time.
Just dig a hole a little bigger than the pot and fill it back in then? I already have protex tubes to put over them. I wasn't sure if I should plant them soon or wait until the stem looks a bit stronger. I have some approaching the 12 inch mark now, but they look some delicate.

My whole reason for using the RM cells is because of the rapid growth that results from the air pruned, well developed root systems. No conventional peat pot will yield the same results long term, so while they can certainly start young seedlings that will result in healthy trees, long term growth rates will not be the same.

That being said I would follow Phil's advice in regards to using the pots and not be overly concerned with pruning roots. :)

My whole reason for using the RM cells is because of the rapid growth that results from the air pruned, well developed root systems. No conventional peat pot will yield the same results long term, so while they can certainly start young seedlings that will result in healthy trees, long term growth rates will not be the same.

That being said I would follow Phil's advice in regards to using the pots and not be overly concerned with pruning roots. :)

Sounds like a winner. There is no advice as good as the experiences you guys have. I need to order some rootmakers from Big Rock. Do you use any of the trays that are also available to hold the 18 cell trays.

Just dig a hole a little bigger than the pot and fill it back in then? I already have protex tubes to put over them. I wasn't sure if I should plant them soon or wait until the stem looks a bit stronger. I have some approaching the 12 inch mark now, but they look some delicate.

I would wait a while longer till they get stronger up top then. You can always hold your hand out, and tip the pot over so the rootball stays in tact and see what the roots look like on the bottom of the pot.

Plan on transferring mine to the farm in another morth or less in the jiffy pots after I get the areas sprayed once for the cool seasons and then again for some warm season weeds.

Sounds like a winner. There is no advice as good as the experiences you guys have. I need to order some rootmakers from Big Rock. Do you use any of the trays that are also available to hold the 18 cell trays.

You can move them up to either the 5-gallon bags or smaller bags for further root pruning as Paul mentioned. I have dug the last hole for a 5-gallon bag I know that much. :D

Had problems with the potting mix being very porous and the surrounding soils being not nearly as well drained so the seedligs drowned from lack of drainage....so I just stick to the pots, express trays and 12 inch bags till they are transplanted out to the farm.

You can move them up to either the 5-gallon bags or smaller bags for further root pruning as Paul mentioned. I have dug the last hole for a 5-gallon bag I know that much. :D

Had problems with the potting mix being very porous and the surrounding soils being not nearly as well drained so the seedligs drowned from lack of drainage....so I just stick to the pots, express trays and 12 inch bags till they are transplanted out to the farm.

Will you send me the item # or link to the page on the Big Rock website for the rootmakers that you guys use. I want to order some tomorrow, as I still have quite a few acorns to pot. Thanks, Bryan :)

Here's a link to BRT's ....Big Rock Trees

I use the 18 cell trays along with the 10 x 20 plastic tray to hold them

Here's a link to RootMaker just for information on the subject

RootMaker

Lot's of fun to start a few acorns in dixie cups or whatever and no reason not to do so as a fun project with the kids. I'm a 1/2 crazed habitat nut however so i want the fastest growing oaks I can find...started in a system that dramatically increase's that same trees growth rate which will in turn allow me to have trees that produce sweet tasting acorns....while I'm still alive! :D

I think we all have to be a bit crazy :D for growing things like this in the house, trying our wives with all the time and money we spend on habitat the outdoors and hunting. One has to be a bit on the crazy side to find all the enjoyment he can in our little hobbies. Thanks for the info again guys!! :drink2:

:D
I think we all have to be a bit crazy :D for growing things like this in the house, trying our wives with all the time and money we spend on habitat the outdoors and hunting. One has to be a bit on the crazy side to find all the enjoyment he can in our little hobbies. Thanks for the info again guys!! :drink2:

Not to many people understand the addiction... It never stops, I see a new oak that phil or dbltree talk about and i want it ha ha... Only so much room to plant them though... Almost time to buy more land!:grin:

:D

Not to many people understand the addiction... It never stops, I see a new oak that phil or dbltree talk about and i want it ha ha... Only so much room to plant them though... Almost time to buy more land!:grin:

There is always another great native to plant that I just found out about.....more are on the way too!!! :way:

May 3rd, 2011

Planted acorns about a month ago now...here are pics at 2 weeks

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0006-2.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

and at 4 weeks

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak

CIMG2746.jpg

Assorted whites and reds

CIMG2744.jpg

TimBur Chestnuts

CIMG2745.jpg

The DCO's from Alabama are pretty spindly and not as robust as the ones from Oikos and native Missouri tree sources last year? We have had several hard frosts and one more tonight but hopefully I can get them outside in the wind by this weekend. :way:

Getting ready to start planting a few of mine as well. Couple things I was wondering:How many holes do you add to your tree tubes? Do you add anything special to the hole when planting?

Getting ready to start planting a few of mine as well. Couple things I was wondering:How many holes do you add to your tree tubes? Do you add anything special to the hole when planting?

I just drill a 1/2 dozen randomly spaced 3/8 holes thru mine and that has worked for me but don't have any scientific information on how much is enough or not?

I don't add anything but I guess that is optional depending on your soils? The trees I plant are very adapted to our heavy clay soils and the roots are so well developed in the RM cells they really take off! :way:

Just noticed that one of the bur oaks planted on 2/20 took until first week of May to sprout. Be patient, some of them take awhile!

Amazing how fast seedlings grow in the RootMaker cells! These chestnuts are growing like crazy!

IMG_0002-2.jpg

oaks

IMG_0004-2.jpg

Not to happy with the Dwarf Chinkapins from Advantage Nursery however...very poor germination and those that have are spindly and weak unlike those I have planted from Oikos or acorns sent to me by friends.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

90 degree temps allowed me to get them outside where the wind can toughen them up too!

IMG_0001-1.jpg

I add Miracle Gro once a week when I water them too...;)

I have a few of the DCO's from AF that have germinated, but they are just out of the ground so the verdict is still out on fall planting of DCO's from AF.

Can't wait to get these outside...
How long does it usually take for the roots to fill in the whole rootmaker pots? I tried taking out the biggest oak and it still wasn't all the way to the bottem...
They are looking pretty good though... Not forsure what kind they are though... Found them while i was turkey hunting...:way:

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like you've got something in the red oak family, but hard for me to tell what kind when they are so young.

For those using tree tubes- this is my first year with them and I'm wondering if the trunks of the oak trees inside the protection of the tubes will toughen up since they are not subjected to wind....some of my tubed sprouts are looking a bit spindly.

For those using tree tubes- this is my first year with them and I'm wondering if the trunks of the oak trees inside the protection of the tubes will toughen up since they are not subjected to wind....some of my tubed sprouts are looking a bit spindly.

What diameter tube are you using? I get along great with wider diameter tubes that are vented so the seedlings harden off.

Top Bottom