Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

I think they are 4" diameter, they are the blue vented tubes, maybe the vents will let in enough breeze to harden them?

The vented tubes are the only way to go where there are cold winter temps. It has been my experience that wider diameter tubes give a bigger diameter seedlings. Have not tested this on a wide scale to be absolutely certain tho, but if you have the time and money...double up some tubes and compare the results between single and double diameter tubes.

They have little punchouts like a hole puncher. I only halfway punched them out and left 'hanging chads' on the tubes that mostly block the vents. Maybe I need to go around and remove the hanging chads. If I see a few great performers of my rarer oaks, I may have to sacrifice a few tubes and try doubling them.

:D And what the drooling guy in the tree with the bow and fork wants! Shooting browsing acorn fattened does to fill the freezer Thanks, another mystery solved.

Last edited:
Finally protected some of these direct seeded White Oaks so they are able to get past a year of browsing. These were planted a couple years ago and have been browsed back every year. I sprayed with Oust in April. My plan is to add around an acre a year or more if acorns are plentifull. Grand plan is to fill in about 10 acres.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110612_110208.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110612_110208.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 255
  • ForumRunner_20110612_110251.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110612_110251.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Finally protected some of these direct seeded White Oaks so they are able to get past a year of browsing. These were planted a couple years ago and have been browsed back every year. I sprayed with Oust in April. My plan is to add around an acre a year or more if acorns are plentifull. Grand plan is to fill in about 10 acres.

Looks great!!

How have the fall planted acorns and chestnuts been working out for everyone? We're considering doing this instead of spring planting bareroot seedlings... but we are weighing the pros/cons of each still

How have the fall planted acorns and chestnuts been working out for everyone? We're considering doing this instead of spring planting bareroot seedlings... but we are weighing the pros/cons of each still

Had about 75% germination rate this past fall with chestnuts and acorns...I like to plant 3-4 per tube of the acorns and 2 per tube of the American Chestnuts since I do not get many of them.

Pros:

Its quick, easy and there is not any transplant shock to that method.

Cons:

Weed control and protection is a must have...I use tubes and also keep the ground to bare dirt from a weed control perspective. Never had any issues with rodents this way getting in the tube and digging up the acorn.

This was an American Chestnut I planted 2 falls ago, this pic was taken in June or July last summer and it grew even more than that after-wards.

100_1492.jpg

Dwarf Chinkapin planted 2 falls ago, just like the chestnut above...pic was taken last summer as well.

100_1484.jpg

I have some oak growing in vented 5ft tubes, some are about half way up out of the tube others are close to the top. They’ve been in them for about 2 and ½ years. They all did well through the first summer but last summer and early this spring it seemed like I’d lost a few each season. They are for the most part on filed edges, so they get quite a bit of sun throughout the day. I’m thinking some of them get fried from the heat. When I picked up the tubes I was under the impression that it would be best to leave them on until the oaks is several feet out of the tube, then again some folks seem to pull them out of the tube after 2-3 years regardless of their height.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
So it seems like my options are to leave them in the tubes but I’m tempted to pull some of the tubes and put fence around them since they’ve been in them for 2-3 years.
<o:p> </o:p>
Any thoughts with this stage of trees would be appreciated.

I have some oak growing in vented 5ft tubes, some are about half way up out of the tube others are close to the top. They’ve been in them for about 2 and ½ years. They all did well through the first summer but last summer and early this spring it seemed like I’d lost a few each season. They are for the most part on filed edges, so they get quite a bit of sun throughout the day. I’m thinking some of them get fried from the heat. When I picked up the tubes I was under the impression that it would be best to leave them on until the oaks is several feet out of the tube, then again some folks seem to pull them out of the tube after 2-3 years regardless of their height.
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
So it seems like my options are to leave them in the tubes but I’m tempted to pull some of the tubes and put fence around them since they’ve been in them for 2-3 years.
<O:p></O:p>
Any thoughts with this stage of trees would be appreciated.

Dont pull the tubes off this time of year, it can burn the leaves and set the tree back big time. Wait till they go dormant this fall, or come spring.

Are your tubes vented?

- most of the tubes came vented, some became vented after I drilled some holes into them

I have never had any fry in the heat even getting full sun all day long. Maybe there is some problem with the moisture content in the tubes and that is causing problems?

I have not been able to plant my seedlings so they are still in the rootmakers. SOme are having leaves turn brown and drop off. Is this heat related? I water routinely and add Miracle grow about once a week. Not real worried as this was just a small fun side project but was curious what went wrong. Bothering the Burr Oak more than the Northern reds.

I have not been able to plant my seedlings so they are still in the rootmakers. SOme are having leaves turn brown and drop off. Is this heat related? I water routinely and add Miracle grow about once a week. Not real worried as this was just a small fun side project but was curious what went wrong. Bothering the Burr Oak more than the Northern reds.

Probably watered them too much, or too much fertilizer possibly? Are they in the rootmaker bags or still in the trays?

Top Bottom