Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Poacher GUILTY

blake

Life Member
Holy Cross Man Guilty of Deer Poaching

Randy Koetz, of rural Holy Cross, pleaded guilty on July 20, to illegally harvesting a trophy deer measuring more than 200 inches in Dubuque County and three additional wildlife violations stemming from that same deer he took in December 2010.

“It’s a shame that someone was not able to legally harvest this trophy deer,” said Andrew Keil, state conservation officer with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Koetz was ordered to pay $5,000 in liquidated damages and his hunting privileges will be suspended. Conservation officers confiscated the gun used to take the deer, the deer rack and deer cape.

The content for this post came from the Iowa DNR website.

This post is for informational purposes only.

Last edited:
$5000 in liquidated damages??? I thought the fines were based on antler size now. I was thinking that size of deer was suppose to be more like $30,000 for the deer alone, then whatever other fines were added

$5000 in liquidated damages??? I thought the fines were based on antler size now. I was thinking that size of deer was suppose to be more like $30,000 for the deer alone, then whatever other fines were added

Right on!!! What in the world?!?!? Over something like 170" and the fines get nasty-steep, like what Rutnstrut said or for sure in the $15,000+++ range?!?!?! what a dirt ball!

I agree it should be more but even at only $5000, at least Iowa takes poaching seriously. In my home state, you would never see a fine like that. Even if it was a world record.

Holy Cross Man Guilty of Deer Poaching

Randy Koetz, of rural Holy Cross, pleaded guilty on July 20, to illegally harvesting a trophy deer measuring more than 200 inches in Dubuque County and three additional wildlife violations stemming from that same deer he took in December 2010.

Koetz was ordered to pay $5,000 in liquidated damages and his hunting privileges will be suspended. Conservation officers confiscated the gun used to take the deer, the deer rack and deer cape.

This is a joke. Think about it he got caught once. How many times did he get by with it and sell the antlers off those deer for way more than 5,000. Then he gets his hunting rights suspended, not revoked, suspended. Most likely he doesnt care about that anyway because he doesnt care about the law.

For those of you out there that are posting on this story, don't. You don't know the whole story. I certainly hope you never do anything that you regret. It's easy to pass judgement when you only know the basics.

For those of you out there that are posting on this story, don't. You don't know the whole story. I certainly hope you never do anything that you regret. It's easy to pass judgement when you only know the basics.

Well than provide the facts. :thrwrck:

If there is more to the story than what is posted we would all love to hear it. Obviously he was guilty of doing something illegal, and whether he regrets it or not..... you can't undo what is already done!

Well than provide the facts. :thrwrck:

If there is more to the story than what is posted we would all love to hear it. Obviously he was guilty of doing something illegal, and whether he regrets it or not..... you can't undo what is already done!

DITTO. Looks like he was found guilty of poaching a 200" deer and paid fines. What's missing here!?!?.......

If you are going to come on here and use this as your first post, then inform us on the whole story. :confused:

The "whole story" is none of your business as it involves other people and their families. Think about this for awhile - if it wasn't a "trophy deer" would the DNR have pursued it and would you all be in such an uproar? How many people right now are out there shooting does in order to feed their families? When's the last time you heard the DNR go after someone for poaching does? I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, it was and he's is being punished for it. It's easy to trash someone when you don't have to look them in the eye while you're doing it. But if it makes you feel tough, have at it.

Actually, it is our business, just sayin'. Glad the guy got caught and its a shame someone couldn't have taken that animal legally. Throw the book at him.

Enable the poacher

The "whole story" is none of your business as it involves other people and their families. Think about this for awhile - if it wasn't a "trophy deer" would the DNR have pursued it and would you all be in such an uproar? How many people right now are out there shooting does in order to feed their families? When's the last time you heard the DNR go after someone for poaching does? I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, it was and he's is being punished for it. It's easy to trash someone when you don't have to look them in the eye while you're doing it. But if it makes you feel tough, have at it.

Defending the practice of poaching and comparing it to shooting does outside the season, which is also illegal, is wrong and you are enabling the person that committed the crime. This will lead to more illegal activities because friends and relatives enable the person into thinking well others do it and they do not get caught. Poor way of addressing a real bad situation.

cant-tell-if-stupid-or-trolling.jpg

It sounds like he shot a 200 inch deer illegally.That means he took that chance away from someone that could have killed it legally.

I have zero tolerance for poachers. That being said, I personally look at it differently if someone actually needs a deer to feed his family. However, I have never met a man that needs a 200 inch deer to feed his family. Killing a deer like this, illegally as proven in a court of law, is a selfish, illegal act, no matter how you look at it. And such acts should be punished to the full extent of the law. I have no problem looking someone in the eye and telling them so.

where is the story (just take responsibility)!

I haven't heard the story yet, but I bet it was President Bush's fault.

If it is none of our business, then why did you even coming on here. He was in the wrong and found guilty. I don't care if he shot a spike or a state record, I would not have a problem looking him in the eye and telling him he is a POS! You can not compare this to a guy shooting a doe to feed his family to a jackwagon that takes a 200" deer illegal. Also if you go back and do a search in the forums, there are the same responses to guys that got caught taking less deer, not just a trophy. I think the DNR takes poaching seriously and will check on any report, but someone shooting a doe may not get reported like a trophy deer that many people know about disappears and someone tries to cover it up being take legally.

Top Bottom