Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader loads

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
I'm sure there are a few older threads on this, but I am kind of new to muzzleloading. I used to shoot a .45 caliber muzzleloader of my uncles that he had all the bullets and powder for and I just used what he had. Now I'm going to be starting from scratch with a .50 caliber TC Triumph. What is everyone's recommendations for bullets and powder. I will be using it for deer hunting. I have heard good and bad about the new powders so I want to ask what everyone has used and what they prefer. Thanks

110 grains of Black Horn 209 and a 250 grain Barnes Spitfire TMZ bullet. I'd reccomend this to anyone, you'll love both of these products!

I'm sure there are a few older threads on this, but I am kind of new to muzzleloading. I used to shoot a .45 caliber muzzleloader of my uncles that he had all the bullets and powder for and I just used what he had. Now I'm going to be starting from scratch with a .50 caliber TC Triumph. What is everyone's recommendations for bullets and powder. I will be using it for deer hunting. I have heard good and bad about the new powders so I want to ask what everyone has used and what they prefer. Thanks

Check out Shovelbucks sticky post near the top of this forum. There is a bunch of loads there for different firearms. :way:

No .45 loads but Blackhorn 209 is the best thing to come along in blackpowder in years. Shot consistancy, cleanup, great groups. Not in pellet form but the advantages so far outweigh the slight inconvenience that you will never go back. I shoot my Encore w/ 110 grains Blackhorn and a 300 grain Harvester Scorpion w/ a Crush Rib sabot. Good luck.

Last edited:
110 grains of Black Horn 209 and a 250 grain Barnes Spitfire TMZ bullet. I'd reccomend this to anyone, you'll love both of these products!

I've heard some good things about the Barnes bullets as far as expansion, etc, but have also read quite a few reviews saying they're hard to load (tight). What's been your experience?

Depends what kind of scope you have.. for instance, if you're shooting a BDC 250, in order for the little circles inside of your scope to shoot at the distances that they are suppose to, you need to use 150 gr pyrodex or T7 and I can't remember the size of the bullet right now off the top of my head for some reason.... if I didn't have the BDC 250 on mine, I'd be using 100gr. That's more than enough.

I've heard some good things about the Barnes bullets as far as expansion, etc, but have also read quite a few reviews saying they're hard to load (tight). What's been your experience?

Tongiht I'll post pics of some of the bullets we've recovered out of deer we've shot!:way: I'm making a note now so I don't forget...

Tongiht I'll post pics of some of the bullets we've recovered out of deer we've shot!:way: I'm making a note now so I don't forget...

Looking forward to it. <O:p</O:p
With your response, let me know if you've had problems loading them. I've read some reviews with people saying they broke their starter trying to get them started & they go down so hard they can't get them run down the barrel far enough to get them seated. But I also know the mental capacity of some people too! <O:p</O:p

Here are 4 of the bullets we've found, all others have been pass throughs. The first bullet is just an example of what they look like before.

The one bullet that was the most smashed was shot at a buck at 80yds straight on and into the spine... it ate up a lot of bone. The other 3 just hit shoulders and ribs. These things are solid copper, have 100% weight retention, and those pedals are sharp!

100_2657.jpg

100_2656.jpg

As far as loading the bullets, they are fine. Each gun is different, the first load can be the hardest but it is just fine. Use a glove or something on the end of the ram rod and use the Barnes Alligner tool that can be found here and you'll be shooting great! If they do happen to load very very tough you could always get different sabots for them, but I'd bet you'll do just fine with them.

Alligner Tool

Last edited:
I use the 250 gr T-EZs in my T/C Triumph and have had no problems whatsoever. I also like the spinjag starter and ramrod.

This is a good thread. I switched to the spitfires last year and have them dialed in pretty good but didn't shoot a deer. Accuracy, energy, expantion and retention. When the stars are aligned and you have all of those, life is good.

I'd check out some of Randy Wakeman's articles online, he has a lot of experience with different loads in Thompsons. I think his preferred bullet out of a TC is the Barnes TEZ 250 since TC's generally have a tighter bore. Get yourself a SpinJag loader also, they're wonderful.

I'd check out some of Randy Wakeman's articles online, he has a lot of experience with different loads in Thompsons. I think his preferred bullet out of a TC is the Barnes TEZ 250 since TC's generally have a tighter bore. Get yourself a SpinJag loader also, they're wonderful.

I am somewhat leary of Mr Wakeman's ideas on ideal bullet design. I have read a lot of his articles, and have come to the conclusion that the deer that he shoots must have Kevlar hides and titanium bones. Ok an exaggeration, but in reality his perspective seems to be if your bullet cannot pass through the animal you are hunting lengthways, puncturing the pelvis, and exiting through the brisket, then it doesn't have enough penetration...even the 150 grain spire point coming out of my weatherby 300 mag won't do that, and I have had a total of 3 deer in 10 years go more than 10 yards after being hit by that thing.

While I agree that you need penetration, I personally want every ounce of energy (besides maybe just enough to push it through the hide on the opposite side) spent in the animal, and I want the bullet to expand as much as possible without going to shreds. From what I read of him, a bullet Mr Wakeman recommends is not going to do that.

My own personal preference, after my father and I's experimenting with a various different sizes and styles of projectile has come to be a 245 gr powerbelt hollow point with 100 grains 777. (wakeman btw abhors these rounds).

You get pass through the majority of the time on broadside shots on normal sized deer, if you are passing through the ribcage. IF you pass through the shoulder, the bullet usually lodges in either the opposite shoulder, or the hide if it is an angling shot. I hunt primarily in an area bordered by a lot of thick cover, so I don't want them going far. and with this bullet all but one of my deer has gone down in under 60 yards, mostly under 30.

These aren't aerodynamic at all, so if you are wanting a 150yrd + round they aren't for you. but out of my TC IMPACT they give 2 inch groups at 100 yards, and I know they are still plenty lethal at 120 yrds (my longest shot to date, and the damage was still impressive).

I know opinions on good rounds for muzzleloaders are a dime a dozen. But when I saw you being guided to Mr Wakeman, I had to share my perspective on what constitutes a "good" load for a smokepole. He is a great source for information, i just happen to differ with him on this one. Good luck.

I've got the same gun. I set it up and tried a few various loads with different powder/grains. The gun really likes Hornady SST loads in 50 cal / 250 grains. I'm also using 100 grains of triple 7 pellets. Usually 3 inch groups at 100 yards, which I'm sure if I shot more would be better.

Im shooting 100gr loose tripple 7 powder with a 250gr shock wave out of a TC encore and its a tac driver...........:way:

I used 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 and 290 grain Barnes TMZ, both have worked great. You can play around with powder charge and bullet, but I like the all copper barnes for weight retention

Out of my T/C Omega I use a 250 gr. Barnes TEZ with 140 gr. of Blackhorn 209 backing it. As for a primer I use CCI Primers. Tremendous range and accuracy!!!

Just purchased some barnes tmz spit fires 250gr. I shoot tc triumph bc. Will i need the loading tool they make for that bullut to load correctly? i forgot to buy one and wanted to shoot this weekend just wanted to know what your opinions were thanks.

I shoot the same bullet out of a TC Omega. I use the alignment jag to keep from marring the bullet or breaking the blue plastic tip.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom