Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

The small round leafed ones are brassicas, it should be ok as long as it rains.

we actually have been catching the perfect amount lately...soils are saturated this AM but not holding water...I think they have had something like 3" on the farm this month so far, but all the plots are in well drained ridge tops. I actually need sun shine at this time.....and about a .10 - .25 a week of rain would keep me happy! :way:

Since it's too late to plant Brassica, is there anything I could get in the ground within the next couple weeks that the deer could benefit from this fall/winter?

Since it's too late to plant Brassica, is there anything I could get in the ground within the next couple weeks that the deer could benefit from this fall/winter?

You could still get a decent growth on Brassicas depending on where you are, but I would go with Oats this time of year. or an oat chicory mix. You still have lots of time to get oats in the ground.

I don't have land or resources, but got a nice surprise. My landowner planted over 100 acres and $1500 on seed in groundhog forage radishes for his cattle. He plans to turn his 30 cows in once the leaves hit 12 inches tall. You guys think the deer will be bothered by the cows? Not sure whether they will use this or not??

I've never had that exact experience but I know there is a lot of clover in our pasture and the deer browse it right along with the cows. We don't see the deer feeding right in with the cows but they don't mind being near them it seems (maybe a few 100yds away)

dedgeez said:
You could still get a decent growth on Brassicas depending on where you are, but I would go with Oats this time of year. or an oat chicory mix. You still have lots of time to get oats in the ground.

Thanks, I'm in central Ohio. Don't think I'll attempt brassicas. But I may consider oats. Would winter wheat be good to plant right now?

I don't have land or resources, but got a nice surprise. My landowner planted over 100 acres and $1500 on seed in groundhog forage radishes for his cattle. He plans to turn his 30 cows in once the leaves hit 12 inches tall. You guys think the deer will be bothered by the cows? Not sure whether they will use this or not??

Cows push deer away IMO, they may feed with them, but they like to have areas where there are not cattle close by.

When my neighbors move the cows from pasture to pasture, its a night and day difference on deer usage. They pile into the clover after the cows are gone. When the cows are there, they move off when they see the cattle.

Read the cereal grain thread for planting options in the next few weeks...

Cereal Grains and cover crops

This is the perfect fall mix that works very well for me...

I mix the following:

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Use lower rates on poor soils with low deer density and higher rates on soils with good fertility and high deer density. Soil test as if for clover and add P&K and lime according to test...adding nitrogen will promote lush growth of the cereals and radish plants. 100-200 #'s of urea per acre will make a huge difference! 200-400#'s of 6-24-24 (if no soil test) will get the P&K in the ballpark.

Till soil, broadcast fertilizer, lime and large seeds (rye/oats and peas) then till in seeds roughly 1-2" deep, and then cultipack to cover, broadcast clover and radish seed and re-cultipack

Plant fall grains no earlier then the last week of August through mid September (in the Midwest), earlier is better when adding peas and clover

Cows push deer away IMO, they may feed with them, but they like to have areas where there are not cattle close by.

When my neighbors move the cows from pasture to pasture, its a night and day difference on deer usage. They pile into the clover after the cows are gone. When the cows are there, they move off when they see the cattle.

Ours don't go near the cattle either. They are always in the parts of the pasture the livestock aren't. Dang cows... :rolleyes: Maybe we should just raise deer!:D

August 21st, 2011

We are fast approaching two solid months without any significant rainfall in my area....most brassica plantings are toast. It happens sometimes and it's a stark reminder to never put all your eggs in one basket! ANY crop can fail and in fact ALL crops can fail due to weather related disasters making it imperative that we do all we can to promote plenty of natural forage and browse on our property. Whitetails have not only survived but thrived for centuries before any crop were ever introduced...on nothing but natural browse, so make sure you focus on improving this element of your habitat first and foremost.

30 miles west there has been enough rainfall to not on;y germinate the brassicas but get them off to a good start

Brassica1-6.jpg

Example of the rapid growth of Groundhog forage radish over the rape and turnips

Brassica2-5.jpg

Mike is also struggling with drought up in WI but this semi shaded area is looking great!

Mikesbrassicas.jpg

Brassicas can be an important element in providing year around food sources with on our plots but like corn they can fall prey to flooding or droughts....so don't make them the ONLY element of your program.... ;)

I went to check on my brassicas today which were planted on July 21 and they are doing great they germinated the last rain we had and the bottom ground is rich in organic matter and held a lot of moisture. I dug down around 1 inch and moisture can be found. I didnt think this was possible in SE Iowa but turns out that plot can be pretty good in drought like conditions. I will take some pics later this week. I did however have to take the weed eater to a few spots were some weeds were taking to the likes of the extra fertilizer. Dang weeds. Hopefully in another week the brassicas will canopy and kill those weeds.

Checked on my Brassicas today... the rain we have received in my little piece of SW Iowa have done them well..

Planted on the 15th of July they sat in the dust for a few weeks but with the recent rains they are starting. Have a little button weed and grass problem but at least they are growing!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

How long can the brassica seed lay there waiting on a rain Paul? I planted my turnips, radishes, and rape 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't rained? No germination because I was planting into dust. When you say the plots are toast do you mean the seeds won't germinate or they just won't have time to mature before hunting season?

forum
forum

I planted a GHR/turnip mix on Aug 1st. Only had one decent rain since then. Otherwise it has been hot and dry like many places in Iowa. I was happy to see that the plot at least germinated. I just hope they are big enough to survive the heat until the next rain comes.

Attachments

• turnips 1.jpg
    turnips 1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 266
  • turnips 2.jpg
    turnips 2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 295
How long can the brassica seed lay there waiting on a rain Paul? I planted my turnips, radishes, and rape 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't rained? No germination because I was planting into dust. When you say the plots are toast do you mean the seeds won't germinate or they just won't have time to mature before hunting season?

The seeds are probably viable if they didn't have moisture to germinate them but the time frame has already passed to really have enough time for them to amount to anything.

I would wait til around Labor Day weekend and then re-plant to the rye mix if they haven't germinated by then. The cereal mix will attain a lot more growth in a short period of time assuming we EVER get some rain...:rolleyes:

I broadcasted some brassicas into some thin spots in my soybeans. I am going to top dress some nitro as soon as we get an actual correct rain forecast. How much rain do you guys think is needed to put it into the soil, and how long can it sit on top (without a rain) before it starts evaporating? (I believe denitrification is the correct term)

Last edited:
I broadcasted some brassicas into some thin spots in my soybeans. I am going to top dress some nitro as soon as we get an actual correct rain forecast. How much rain do you guys think is needed to put it into the soil, and how long can it sit on top (without a rain) before it starts evaporating? (I believe denitrification is the correct term)

24 hours when temps are above 70 degrees and you need a minimum 1/2" of rain to incorporate it...:way:

Top Bottom