Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I shoot this deformed buck?

Packnasty

picture.php
Should I have to worry about whatever he's got spreading? He's also got something going on with the hair on the top of his back (which you can't see in these pics). I call him Red Man for obvious reasons.

I would be ending my season by shooting this buck. I've been debating whether I should shoot if he walks by. Any other time, I would pass, no question. I would probably not be eating him either. He may be a shooter next year.

This is at my doe-blasting spot, and I've got a lot of other big deer at other properties. I've had friends that have told me to shoot him and let him lay, but I couldn't ever do that.

picture.php

personally i would kill it but we have a 3 buck bag limit and if it was a 1 buck bag limit, i would pass him.

He looks healthy to me. I think I would wait awhile and see how he does. If he truly is struggling, nature will take it's course and the coyotes will eat well.

I never even thought about a cavity, but that makes a lot of sense. Ugh...that's gotta be just brutal pain.

I needed a root canal a couple months ago, where my mouth started swelling a bit but nothing like that. It was the worst pain of my life. How the heck can a deer recover from that? A deer can't pull a tooth! After a quick google search, I was unable to determine whether the nerve dies. Dang.

he doesn't look thin or anything...so it doesn't look like it's keeping him from eating. i would probably let him go if you wouldn't otherwise shoot him.

We have a doe on trail camera that looks the same way, and has for 3 years. She raises twins every year, and is always healthy. Not sure what it is, but doesn't seem to affect her in any ways.

I never even thought about a cavity, but that makes a lot of sense. Ugh...that's gotta be just brutal pain.

I needed a root canal a couple months ago, where my mouth started swelling a bit but nothing like that. It was the worst pain of my life. How the heck can a deer recover from that? A deer can't pull a tooth! After a quick google search, I was unable to determine whether the nerve dies. Dang.

They can survive gun shots and razor blades.They are tougher than us.
I think it's because they don't have health insurance and just have to suck it up.:grin:

Long answer: It may just be a lump caused by a thorn or splinter he got while eating. I see it every year in my cow herd usually from some ground hay or sometimes hay that got put up that contains hay needles. In cattle we drain it if it affects their breathing or ability to swallow otherwise we don't address it. Unless he starts to look like he is starving he will probably be fine. If it doesn't drain on its own it will harden and he will have the lumps forever.

Short answer: If he looks like he is still healthy let him go and save your tag for a hit list deer.

I dought it is from an infection, it looks to isolated to me,with well defined margins. Which means it is not from an infected tooth, plus it is on both sides. I believe it is some disease or cyst or something of that nature. I would let him go, He looks healthy to me.

I'd let him go a year and see what happens. Hopefully whatever it is , it don't spread in the meantime. Unless you have a buddy that would want to take him out.

Top Bottom