Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Broaheads

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I'm interested to read what your thoughts are on the Rage broadheads. I have heard/read how awesome they are and also that they are terrible. More specifically I'm looking at the 2 blade Rages. I have heard that most people who did not like them were using the 3 blade Rages. I shoot the practice head for the 2 blade ones today and they flew really good, almost exactly like my field points, are the practice heads pretty much just as accurate as the real ones? I bought some of the Exodus's and I am pretty disappointed in them, but then I tried my buddies practice head for the 2 blade Rage and it was pretty much perfect. What are you guy's expierences with them, also specify what type of Rage you were using i.e. 2 blade, 3 blade, etc.

Do a search. There are hundreds of posts on rage broadheads. Guys love em or hate them. Check out the rage in the cage thread in the iwconference thread. Its pretty recent.

Personally, they aren't my style. Tried them and didn't care for them.

Sent from my DROID3 using IW

I've got bros that love them and close friends that love em. I've seen a LOT of deer being shot and a lot of buddies hunting with me over the years. I've used them ONE year and never will again. My bros continue to use them. I've seen FIRST HAND major penetration problems, problems coming open during flight AND when they were in quiver. I've seen GIANT holes on deer BUT I've also seen major major problems with use & many deer lost to what I say is problems with THOSE heads. Excellent shot placement with ANY head should have great results.

Where I see varying DIFFERENCES of +/-'s for MOST heads is poor shots. I would give Rage and advantage with GUT shots (and many other heads) but I personally think Rage has major problems with bone & penetration as well as many other design flaws. If it were all about poor GUT shot advantage- there's got to be other expandables that solve that without all the other negatives that Rage have. I like my Muzzy MX-3's BUT they will not be as good with gut shots BUT will be excellent with bone, etc IMO. And I don't have all the other worries I've seen with Rage. If you're set on expandables, dude's on here gotta know something better than Rage and my learning on expandables have stopped after my Rage use. Ur gonna hear 5 million opinions on this and this is just one joe-schmo's 2 cents.

With how many flaws I KNOW Rage have, I'm not saying they don't have their advantage BUT it also furthers my belief that all these celeb-clowns that are in the tank with their support & advertizing are seeing $ signs ONLY because I truly believe they "KNOW" the Rage are Mediocre at best BUT sell out to the great $ kick-back. Which, I have no problem with sponsorships BUT when I see folks in the tank from everything from GARBAGE to mediocre at best stuff (like CUDDEBACK CAMS, Rage broadheads, etc), I just don't believe one ounce of what those particular folks say and why I get my product advice here.

Last edited:
I switched to Schwacker 2 blades because I like Hank Parker more than the guys pimping Rage.

Really though Schwackers are a way better 2 blade mechanical. Better penetration, don't open up during flight, and cheaper.

Have shot the 2 blade and 3 blade models. I personally have had no issues with either styls and have both styles in my quivers now. In my experience, they have both been devastating. I have only ever had one deer go farther than 50 yards after the shot, and have only not recovered one deer. The one I did not recover was poor shot placement on my part. Gut shot.

I have used the 2 blade Rage on 2 deer. Last year I made a marginal shot on a buck and recovered him the next day. I am confident that without the huge hole from the Rage I would have not recovered that deer. I then shot a doe (sorry THEBAD) opening morning this year at 28 yards. Complete pass thru and stuck in the ground behind her and she piled up with 70 yards with a awesome blood trail. :way:

I don't like replacing the blades tho!

In my opinion there are going to be plenty of situations where the benefits of the Rage and the big hole will help you out. On the other hand there are going to be situations where the rage heads will have disadvantages like situations where they don't get great penetration or have issues with bones etc. Therefore, there are going to be people who love them or hate them. I myself am not a fan of Rage heads. I've killed deer with them and actually didn't have a problem with the couple I killed, but I hit well and not in shoulder or anything like that. Others I do know have had issues with them though, but like I mentioned above any head could have its issues. At this point time I prefer to shoot G5 Strikers because I feel like they have more benefits than they do disadvantages. Here are a few reasons why I like them and why you may want to try them.

• Made of Steel construction (meaning they're strong)
  • They have very sharp Blades (mfg lutz) Lutz mfg's some of the sharpest best blades in the world. The only other company I know using their blades is Slicktricks. Lutz produts are used in the medical industry and are known to be top notch when it comes to strength and sharpness of their products.
  • These heads are balanced and are a simple design that holds the blades in the ferrel and remains very uniform. G5 uses Metal injection molding to make these heads which allows them to hit very tight tolerances and make each head the exact same.
  • The last reason I like them is the fact that if the arrow doesn't fully past through the animal the head keeps cutting the whole time while the animal runs away. Mechanical head blades do can and can fold back in on themselves and don't create as much damage after initial impact IMO
That's my opinion. To each there own...

Between here and IowaSporstman I've read way more good reviews than bad. Pretty much all the bad reviews either resulted from a bad shot or the blades deploying before being shot(in the quiver, etc. but that is an issue). I was mainly just really impressed with how well the practice head flew, basically exactly like my field tips. I've had my bow paper tuned and it was perfect, but it seems like no matter what head I try they never fly like my field tips, but the Rage practice head did. Sligh, who is endorising these? I don't really watch any hunting shows besides MidwestWhitetail and they use Rocket Steelheads. There needs to be a survey or something on this site about what broadheads everyone uses lol.

I've seen over 10 failures on these over 3-4 years. One example- my bro hit a buck in rib area- arrow did not penetrate. He actually got a shot at same buck 5 days later and killed him. We looked at previous shot and were blown away that it didn't penetrate. I've seen stuff like this multiple times. Watch the videos where arrow penetrates 6"- they only show u the deer they DO recover. I don't watch videos unless I'm at some buddies place but almost all the video guys shoot and r sponsored by them- maybe I'm thinking of drurys and maybe chuck adams and many more. I don't watch hardly at all but seems like what I've seen it's the most sponsored broadhead. I personally think it's a matter of time before someone has a failure but that's just my opinion.

I got into the rage hype a few years back. Shot 2 does early that season. The result was amazing. Giant wounds with massive trauma to tissue……….Then a few weeks later I shot a great buck at about 18 yards! I still cannot believe the lack of penetration I got…….probably 3 inches at best. To this day I’m still haunted by that image of the entire arrow hanging out of that buck as he ran. Never found the animal, and will never shoot them again. It has been back to only COC heads for me. Which have never failed me! Just my experience, best of luck with what you choose for your setup! :way:

I shoot the 3 blade rage. Have recovered a gut shot and also a good placed "rage in the cage man." But I did get lack of penetration from a straight down shot and hit the top flat part of the rib and didn't even have a blood trail and also did not recover a shot that was placed forward. But I don't have any evidence that another broadhead would have done different. By the looks of the responses it appears to be a good product.

I use 3 blade rages and I love them. Ive killed three does this year with them. Ive only been bowhunting for two years now so this year I killed my first deer with my bow with the rage. It leaves a huge entry and exit hole! I love them!!!

i shot my buck last year with a 2 blade rage. almost had a pass through as it touched the other side of the rib cage but the blades arent useable again. im going to try grim reapers this year as this is only my second year hunting and ill decide next year.. another good option ive heard are blood runners by NAP same 2'' cut and pretty much garunteed to open.

I bought a pack of rage 2 blades a couple years back. I had 2 different heads open in flight while I was testing one day. I never took those heads hunting.

I shoot the three blade rage and have shot multiple deer with them. I have honestly never had a problem with penetration. I shot one Sunday morning very steep quartering away and went in top behind last rib and complete pass through the brisket. I'd say thats plenty of penetration. I have heard of people having problems with them but all my buddies shoot them with success and have never had one open up in flight. I do wonder that if these people that are having them open in flight don't check their broadheads before nocking an arrow to see if they are seated properly on the o-ring or if they are trying to use the broadhead for a second time after shooting one deer with them. The o rings will break or tear and not hold the blades in place properly. who knows. There are going to be advatages and disadvantages to every product and until you as the hunter try them out for yourselves thats the only way you'll know what you will like. just my .02 for what its worth.

Top Bottom