Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disrespect

bigddy09

Put in all the work on public ground placing stands in and this past weekend went out to go hunt an afternoon and as I approached my stand there was someone in it. Asked him what he was doin and he just stared at me. He was gonna get down after he told me his dad was in my other stand across the field about 100 yds. The gall people have is amazing. Also wonder if these 2 stole my third stand earlier this season. My point is why would u hunt someone elses stand when you don't know if they are gonna come out. I know it's public ground but people it seems have no respect or code of honor when it comes to this sport or other hunters. Happened up by steamboat rock. Tired of having my stuff stolen and locks cut.

bigddy09 said:
Put in all the work on public ground placing stands in and this past weekend went out to go hunt an afternoon and as I approached my stand there was someone in it. Asked him what he was doin and he just stared at me. He was gonna get down after he told me his dad was in my other stand across the field about 100 yds. The gall people have is amazing. Also wonder if these 2 stole my third stand earlier this season. My point is why would u hunt someone elses stand when you don't know if they are gonna come out. I know it's public ground but people it seems have no respect or code of honor when it comes to this sport or other hunters. Happened up by steamboat rock. Tired of having my stuff stolen and locks cut.

That would piss me off!

arrow flinger

i would suggest getting some muddy sticks and hanging your stands and always remove your sticks from the tree.. just take them with you to whatever stand you want to go to... may not keep 100% of the people out of the tree, but i dont know too many ppl who just happen to be carrying them around in the woods on a hunting trip

Respect and decency have to be taught. Recnt generations of parents I fear have failed at that. Respect for authority and others has gone by the wayside. Fear of the Almighty starts it at an early age. Glad I was born when I was, and parents taught me the fear a GOD!

I am not on thier side but when a hunter reads the regulations it states that they are allowed to use it. Is it right? NO... is it legal , yes . The screwy part is that they can have you ticketed for obstructing thier hunt if you make them get down. Crazy I know but true.

All of my stands on public land need 5 lone wolf sticks to get into. Those few guys that have 4 sticks are still screwd if they try to get into them.

Man, I feel your frustration!!! I had a 40 acre piece that I had permission on, went out 3 hours before dark for the 1st time hunting that stand for the year after I put it up in June. Some clown is sitting in it!!! I say "Ah, why are you in my treestand"???.... "Oh, I have permission from "JIM BOB" and I figured no one would be hunting this stand". I say "Ahhhh, the stand & steps are BRAND NEW, do you think someone would be leaving something like this out here for fun after just putting it up???". Talked with the landowner I had permission with and they didn't want a hassle so I dropped it & finally decided to just bail on that farm totally since I had so many problems & I just bought my own ground too. 2 months later the same clown is coyote hunting on MY land, pretty funny.
hang in there man, that sucks but keep hunting away!!!

I'm with Muddy on this one. All my public land stands require you to carry in sticks if you want to hunt them. I just carry them in with me and out when I leave. I also like the idea I heard of locking the stand in an upward postion. Just carry a key in and unlock it. Pull it down and climb in. I cant do anything about hunters using my stands but I can make it as hard as possible for them to climb up.

i think disrespet is the main thing and i know i would be very upset to say the least . but if we all follow the law treestands can not be put on public land, no sooner than 7 days prior to season and removed 7 days after and no nail or spikes can be put into trees ladders only . i think locking stand in up postion is great idea i know it would have saved me some debate time and lower my blood pressure some

When hunting public I would pack the stand in hang and hunt. Leave the stand up overnight. Hunt it in the morning. Then move to a new location when or if the movement got slow. Bouncing around kept it from the deer and other hunters knowing where your stand is. Who goes walking around in the dark looking for stands to hunt out of? If someone would see me in the afternoon I would take down a couple sticks so they couldn't get in the stand if they tried to beat me to it in the morning.

It is sad you have to do stuff like this. It is not only the parents doing but a product of society.

Mobile Cooter on IW

This is very sad, one thing I would recommend is like others have said pack and hunt. Once Nov. 5th gets here I would not be having my deer stand or trail camera on public land. Coon hunters will be out in full force.

The screwy part is that they can have you ticketed for obstructing thier hunt if you make them get down. Crazy I know but true.

Not if you said you were there to take it down. Which is exactly what I would have done. It is your property and you have the right to come and remove it. If you are going to hunt public land get a Lone Wolf or Muddy with climbing sticks...hang and hunt. Otherwise you can plan to buy a couple stands every year. Much cheaper to invest in the LW or Muddy with sticks.

Does it work the same with traps or diddy poles? They are on public ground does that make them free for everyone to use? Or is the tag with your info on it the difference? If so why can't that rule be applied to tree stands? You would think that would help anyway.

Mobile Cooter on IW

I think it would of been better if the OP was there just to remove his sticks that evening and leave the poor sap up in the tree. :) that sucks man!!

I think it would of been better if the OP was there just to remove his sticks that evening and leave the poor sap up in the tree. :) that sucks man!!
I like that idea best. And agree that a law should be in place to tag the stands, and you can't be in someone else's stand. Sad that this idea has to even be thought of, but thats the reality of the society today.

Top Bottom