Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Bucks Down October 23

maher2215

Well after a long summer and early fall of scouting and hanging stands my brother and I had a couple bucks picked out that stood atop of each of our hit lists. Due to harvest most of early October we only made it to the stand a couple times before this last weekend. We hadn’t seen much up to this point. The buck I was after hadn’t showed up on any cameras since September until we checked them Saturday there was a pic from 8:00 pm on the 19th. I knew he was back in the area so I then decided that I would get up early Sunday morning and head to the nearest stand to his location. The gravel road intersection before I got there I turned and went a mile to the east to a river bottom stand thinking he might be in that area marking his territory or looking for that early doe. At 7:30 that morning he steps out into a clearing and knows something is up and before I had a chance to do much he was gone. I grunted a few times but no response. It started sprinkling a little that morning and I thought of climbing out of the stand and heading to the truck. As the rain calmed down the CRP fields and woods behind me just lit up with activity. At 8:00am there was a small buck 10 yards in front on me and back to my right is the 13 pointer walking out in front but away from me. I thought about the 50 yard shot but hit the snort wheeze on my grunt call and he froze and stared at small buck below me. I then hit it one more time and he came straight for smaller buck which was 10 yards in front of me trying to figure out what was going on exactly. My buck closed to 15 yards and I let my new Hoyt Rampage rip using a Muzzy MX3. The arrow connected with both lungs and the heart. The buck ran a mere 50 yards before crashing. That’s when the excitement set in I called my brother immediately telling him that the 13 was DOWN. He must have flown out of bed because he was out in the woods before I knew it.

After skinning and caping my buck out and getting the meat to the locker. I decided to wait for my brother to hunt that evening before we headed to the taxidermist. I was hauling a few loads of corn when my phones starts vibrating He texts me that it looks really dark to the north and the lightening is getting close. I checked the radar and it looked like a heavy cell was just going to miss us so I told him that and he stayed in the tree the storm was about 5 to 10 miles north any closer and he would had to have left because of all the lightening. The at 6:30 I get a call from him I figured he got out and left and was on his way home, but instead he is whispering I just smoked the double brow buck I immediately thought there’s no way. He then precedes to tell me that he spined him and his down 20 yards away. And he swore to it. I put the tractor in full speed and headed for my truck. As I walked up to the woods I was thinking how crazy it would be for us both to shoot mounters on the same day. When I got close enough to see the buck I realized it was bigger than we thought and good amount bigger than my buck. We took pictures of him and his buck alone and then some with both of our bucks. I wish my buck hadn’t been caped out because it would have made for some great pictures. We did get some pictures of both bucks together and its truly a day we will never forget. Hope you all enjoy!

Both Bucks together Mine gross scores 161 and Jareds gross scores 175 his had 20 inch inside spread 12 inch g2s 11 inch g3s and double split brows. my buck was a 12 point main frame 2 inch kicker off of g2 8 inch g2s 9 inch g3s 8 inch g4s 4.5 inch g5 and a .5 in g5 only 16 inch inside spread.

I'm not seeing any pics???

Congrats to you and your brother. A day to remember thats for sure :way:

picture.php

Top Bottom