Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To move or not to move ... ???

longspurs

Looking for some advice here guys, and I think I already know the answer to my question ... maybe. I've hunted a particular spot two out of the last three days as it works well for southerly winds. The first time I hunted the stand this year (Saturday evening) I saw a solid 150-class 10 point. The closest he got was 66 yards. I made a mental note of his travel route from the river bottom up onto a saddle that drops off a high spot into an adjacent creek bottom. Fast forward to this morning. I see a different buck, a nine point with a kicker pushing 160, travel within 10 yards of the previous buck's route.

This is my first year hunting the property and I'm entirely tempted to move my stand location so I'm within shooting range of where both those bucks traveled. Is there something to where two mature bucks traveled or is it just a fluke? I don't figure I have a lot to lose at this point. Neither buck knew I was there and I hope they may return. I'm very much tempted to move. What would you do???

On a side note, this morning was hopping. Lots of activity up through late morning. I passed on a solid young 10 point ... kind of hard to pull the trigger after seeing the two bigger bucks and knowning they're still around. Here's the buck I passed ... hope I don't end up regretting it.

picture.php

picture.php

-Longspurs-

Id probably move.. but, you know when you do, murphys law will kick in and they will walk right by your other tree

I'd move, but I'd also think about what wind you can hunt the new set on and so forth. Maybe if possible hang a new set and also leave your old one if they need opposite winds. Coulda been fluke, but I'd be moving

Tough call. Sometimes getting aggressive and changing stands can put you in the chips. Just don't look anywhere near your old stand because Mr. Big will be standing there taunting you. :D

Move it 30 yards closer if possible, then you will be about 30 yards from the location you saw the bucks and 30 yards from your old location, both within reasonable bow range.

100% I'd move. For whatever reason, these bigger deer, and its not just one, elected to use a contour in the same fashion. Maybe its because of the way the thermals work or the wind runs acros the land-much like a creek flows. Or maybe its because they feel safer on this route. big muskies use the same drop-offs, and big bucks use the same terrain to travel.

I have killed my best deer my observing movement and then moving in, always watching the wind because there are places they traverse BECAUSE they are almost unhuntable with the wind.

But, there is a reason, and time is short. Id go for it but like others said... watch the wind.

BTW-Good call on the buck you passed. If you really want him thats ok, but if not, he promises to get better and bigger :)

100% I'd move. For whatever reason, these bigger deer, and its not just one, elected to use a contour in the same fashion. Maybe its because of the way the thermals work or the wind runs acros the land-much like a creek flows. Or maybe its because they feel safer on this route. big muskies use the same drop-offs, and big bucks use the same terrain to travel.

I have killed my best deer my observing movement and then moving in, always watching the wind because there are places they traverse BECAUSE they are almost unhuntable with the wind.

But, there is a reason, and time is short. Id go for it but like others said... watch the wind.

BTW-Good call on the buck you passed. If you really want him thats ok, but if not, he promises to get better and bigger :)

Totally agree, I'd move.

I would of moved after the first buck went through and went up the saddle. Then I would of killed the second one. ;)

I have made the mistake of not moving only to watch yet another shooter take the same route. Ben...you know bucks and you know the lay of the land...go with your gut! :way:

I have made the mistake of not moving only to watch yet another shooter take the same route. Ben...you know bucks and you know the lay of the land...go with your gut! :way:

After this morning's sit I'm heading in there to hang a quick set. The wind isn't right for it this morning, otherwise I'd be out there hanging it right now. I can't hunt this evening, but I'll be in there soon enough. If things go well this morning (jinxing myself as I write this :rolleyes:), then maybe I won't have to! Thanks for the advice everyone.

-Longspurs-

Top Bottom