Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My best archery deer

adamo

I hunt public land here in central SD and have shot a couple of "decent" deer, nothing over 140". On November 10, my luck turned for the better. I hadn't been seeing much of anything and had no bucks over 120" on my trail cam.

Thursday morning I sat for about an hour and hadn't seen anything so decided to rattle... a 15 second rattling sequence sent a small 3x3 on a trot right to me. He nosed around my treestand and I decided to try videoing him with my iPhone. As I was videoing him, I noticed he kept looking back towards the spot he came from so I turned my head and took a quick peak and saw this buck coming on the same path the smaller one had. I wish someone would have been videoing my reaction cause out of the dozen or so pockets I had available, I had a hell of a time finding one to put my cell phone in! The bigger buck came in to 40 yards and stopped, I grunted and he instantly laid his ears back and "puffed" up. He walked stiff-legged in to just under 30 yards and I drew. The smaller buck busted me and went on full alert, resulting in the larger buck to follow suit. I didn't have much time to get the shot off or they'd be gone, but there was a limb in my way so I stood on my tip-toes and touched the trigger. The shot was 3-4 inches forward more than I wanted, but ripped through his front shoulder and exited just behind the off-side shoulder.

He went about 60 yards over a hill and dissappeared. The link below is of me trailing the deer 40 minutes after the shot. Its a shacky video but you can actually follow the blood trail when watching it, its kind of embarrasing, but when I got to the deer you can hear my breathing get louder when I realized it was my largest archery deer. He gross scores 158 3/8" as a 5x6. I'm still on cloud 9!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzhqaWUuyl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2011archery_01.jpg

2011archery_02.jpg

2011archery_03.jpg

Thanks all! My wife was even impressed and said we could take down a couple of her Paris pictures to make room for the mount! She's a keeper.:way:

Tomo, I moved to Pierre in 2008 and love it out here! I can drive 5 minutes in any direction and shoot pheasants, geese, ducks, whitetail deer and mule deer and have caught big walleyes, pan fish, bass and salmon from shore all summer. OK, so I haven't got a mule deer yet, but i've had chances.

great buck! i always love going out to SD to fish for walleyes in Oahe. we always seen a million pheasants and a couple nice muleys as well.

Top Bottom