Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What have you forgotten while hunting?

I looked in my rearview just in time to see my muzzleloader bouncing down the highway..... DONT EVER SET IT ON YOUR ROOF...

I traded it into scheels.

A few years ago, I was pheasant hunting with my brother and a friend of his. We were hunting a bunch of land around Central City (I had never been there before). There was a stretch of 3 or 4 cornfields and CRP we had permission to hunt in the afternoon. We parked my truck at one end and took my brother's buddy's truck to the other to start the hunt. We get done (about 3 hours later) and go to get in my truck, and I couldn't find my keys. I locked it and thought I had put the keys under the tire, but they weren't there. I stripped off my coveralls and was gearing up for a couple mile jog down the gravel roads, when luckily, a farmer drove by and gave us a ride to our truck.

We met at a buddys house one morning for coffee and a BS session before a duck hunt in Michigan. My brother was running late so I told him I would grab his lab and bring her with me. She always knew when we were going hunting and was as excited as the rest of us. Well we loaded up the gear and hooked on to the trailer and everyone hopped in the vehicles to go. I ended up riding with a buddy and left my Tahoe at the house with the dog in the back. When my brother got to the field that morning at sun up he asked where the dog was. We had forgotten all about her. We had a pretty good laugh and when we got back to the house she was sleeping on seat. I don't think she was very amused by the whole situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my 10 year old cousin out last year opening morning shotgun 1 to sit out in a blind. We hopped on the 4wheeler, got half way to our spot and were going to walk the rest of the way. I stepped off the 4-wheeler and knew something didn't feel right. I was still wearing the camo crocs from the cabin.... and it was freezing out.

It was too late to run back so had to walk in on the slippery, dewy grass in these slip on crocs that are 4 sizes too big I swear... and then wrap my feet in a handwarmer and hat the rest of the morning. They kept quite warm actually.

Another shotgun story.

About 6 years ago Dad's got his three kids down hunting with him opening morning of shotgun 1 season. The night before we had packed all the gear up and dad was responsible for getting the guns ready. We get to the farm late the night before and head straight to bed. Next morning we all get up, get ready and get our guns just before heading out the door... only problem was the trigger locks were on all of them yet. That 1 hour drive home to get the key and then back down kinda sucked on opening morning. We did hit one deer, but not hard enough to bring it back home with us. :rolleyes:

I have two EZ Hangers that got left (in different trees) that I need to go get sometime.

My bow survived a 30 minute ride on the top of my old Explorer. Thank god for the luggage rack. Lucky.

I went hunting one afternoon in a rush. Got up hunted saw some doe's didn't see any bucks. It's was in the middle of the rut. I get down headed to the truck. Get to my truck and go to unloaded my gun wasn't loaded! Can you imagine a big buck comes running in and you finaly get him to stop you pull the trigger and snap! Plus I didn't have any bullets in my pocket! I will never forget to get my bullets agin!

Leopold binos looked all over for them got to be the kids or wife put them somewhere I couldn't of lost them ! Range finder someone lucky has a new one now argggggg.But I still have the box :)!

I left my scentlok coat on the ground after I got back to my truck. I was parked right inside the bean field enterance right off the hwy. With all the traffic that drives past there, I wasn't surprised when it wasn't there 2 days later.

oh.. I almost forgot. There was the time I had dropped my cell phone on the ground and conveniently threw the gut pile on top of it. Didn't figure it out until a couple miles away when I couldn't find my phone.

Lost my cell phone on a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Refuge deer hunt here in Texas. A hunter found it two years later and turned it in to the refuge office. The pasture where I lost the phone had burned since I lost the phone. Phone was pretty well trashed, but the SIM card was still good.

turkey hunting...slate calls, and strikers....20 some decoy stakes, etc.

deer hunting...I left my rattle bag on a tree limb, in a tree I had radomly climbed with my climbing tree stand. Found the bag a year later and still use it today.

Worst thing to forget, is to POOP before you head to the woods. #2-in in the woods has resulted in me affectively "losing" several items of clothing over the years. usually brown jersey gloves or socks:way:

A few years ago I had a brand new Primos Rubberneck grunt call. It was nice because it was all rubber and never had to worry about it clanging on anything. First time out using it was an evening hunt and when I got to stand and all set-up I pulled it from my neck to hang it up. Thats when I realized that the entire bottom section that covered the reeds had fallen off somewhere on the trek in. I didn't think I'd ever find it so I just sat anyway. As fate would have it I really could of used that call that night to persuade a 150" ten point in, but I couldn't. My brother did happen to find it the next afternoon when we looked for it.
And like many others, there are many little bow hangers in trees around the properties I hunt.

deer hunting...I left my rattle bag on a tree limb, in a tree I had radomly climbed with my climbing tree stand. Found the bag a year later and still use it today.

Worst thing to forget, is to POOP before you head to the woods. #2-in in the woods has resulted in me affectively "losing" several items of clothing over the years. usually brown jersey gloves or socks:way:
X2 on the #2. A few right handed jersey gloves left in the timbers. They work better if they haven't been worn through rose bushes and cockleburrs too.

Decoy stakes! That reminds me...

I lost a decoy stake one spring and was kind of ticked :( about it because it wasn't easy to replace, BUT I found it about a year later and was all happy :D again.

But I got mad again when 10 minutes after I found it I was bragging to my son and waving it in the air a bit and it snapped in two! :(

It had become quite brittle after being exposed to the elements for a year and it didn't hold up to my treatment. I still need a stake for that deke!

One day I left my bow sitting outside the truck on the edge of a gravel road. Didnt notice I forgot my bow until I got home an hour away. Turned back around and to my suprise it was still there two hours later.

Either I am getting old or it has been one of those years. Drove down to deer camp last weekend of Early Muzzy, got there and my keys to the gate and cabin were in my work truck, had to have dad drive out and unlock for us.

Before I tuned in that night I thought I will load my muzzy, when I noticed I grabbed the wrong tote, so ran to dads and borrowed some powerbelts and powder.
Went to get dressed in the morning put my fanny pack on and realized I had (2) quick loads with Blackhorn powder and my sabots.

The neighbor gave me a nice rangefinder his dog came carrying up to the house a few years ago, so I guess I am not the only one who forgets things.

I've forgotten many bow hangers. I set up in a tree early one morning this October and found one of my bow hangers still there. I'd completely forgotten about it, but it was nice to be there. I did take it down with me when I left, this time.

I forgot my release once in the truck one morning. walked bout 3/4 of a mile to my stand. climb up and get settled. go to dig in my pocket for it and wasn't there. I had taken it out and put it on the defroster to warm it up some. From there on i always put it on before i leave the truck! I tried finger shooting a doe at bout 20 yds. Missed bigtime.

Top Bottom