Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening morning shot gun!!

louisiana boy

Gang:

I'm driving in from South Louisiana (Baton Rouge) tonigh for the shot gun season. If any of you have made a similar track, can you advise me on the QUICKEST route to Southwest Iowa (Malvern, IA)?

What's the outlook for opening day? Is the rut over?

Thanks

Hey Louisiana Boy - I grew up in SW Iowa and now live in the MS Delta. Take your quickest route to MS (Greenville) and then take HWY 82 to Lake Village and then get on HWY 65 N to Little Rock. In LR take Int. 40 almost to Fort Smith and then take HWY 71 North. In KC, MO take Int. 29 North to about 20 NW of St. Joseph, MO and pick up HWY 71 N again. I think you'll want the Red Oak, Iowa exit off 71 headed west to Malvern. Hope this helps and good luck. I'm Jealous! If you need more detailed info. shoot me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Last edited:
Well - I still consider myself an old Iowa boy, still call Atlantic home, just taking up residence here in MS. Just wish the State of Iowa saw it that way so I could afford to come home and hunt. My best friend still lives in Iowa (McClelland) and we manage to get together in other, more affordable states a couple times a year to do some hunting so it all works out.

not used to snow at all. Do your deer still move in this type of weather??

They will move heavy before and after. BUT its shotgun season and with people pushing deer will be moving no matter what. Be careful driving in those conditions, they are deadly to those that have years upon years of driving experience in them. Also, our rut is long over, you might catch a late doe here and there but like i said with hoards of people walking through the woods, bucks wont have time to even consider that late doe. Good luck! :way:

louisiana boy said:
Gang:

I'm driving in from South Louisiana (Baton Rouge) tonigh for the shot gun season. If any of you have made a similar track, can you advise me on the QUICKEST route to Southwest Iowa (Malvern, IA)?

What's the outlook for opening day? Is the rut over?

Thanks

Yes rut is over. As for weather latest i have is the snow is gonna be northern iowa southern minnesota/wisconsin. The hunting should be pretty good in southern iowa. I hunt north eastern and should have an easy go of it. I have family farm and we are the only ones to hunt it. The neighbors will keep deer moving thru us. If ur on public should have same luck. Deer counts are much higher in southern 2 tiers of counties in iowa. Good luck and be careful!

I live down in Griswold Iowa. I switched to 2nd season. Not very many people going 1st around here anymore. Just don't see many deer getting pushed around. So this year I made the switch.
SOOO glad im not going to be hunting in a ice storm this weekend. At least their saying its just rain/snow this Saturday.
Malvern is just about 30-40 minutes SW of Griswold, so you wont be too far way. Good Luck this weekend

Man, the Atlantic, Red Oak, and Griswold area are well represented on here...I hunt a lot around the Grant area on family ground...gonna be doing some late muzzy down there, and never known what to expect shotgun down there...will more than likely hunt 1st shotgun down there next year :way:

Man, the Atlantic, Red Oak, and Griswold area are well represented on here...I hunt a lot around the Grant area on family ground...gonna be doing some late muzzy down there, and never known what to expect shotgun down there...will more than likely hunt 1st shotgun down there next year :way:

east of grant? by hoye's?

Use to hunt a family farm near grant during gun season 10 years ago was great for stand hunting while the neighbors pushed all the deer from the miles of riverbottom across the road, I think that riverbottom owner now runs a guide service on that farm was a sweet spot!

Spent my youngster years quail and pheasant hunting at Grandpa's around Brooks, Ia. Also have relatives around Walnut, Avoca, and Macedonia.

I love that part of the state.

I'm thinking of watching dvd's and drinking beer instead of hunting as hunting in the rain sucks. Pleaze let it snow and not rain and ice.

I live in Oakland. Bout 1\2 north of Malvern. Lots of 1st season hunters around here. 2nd season is really lean. Back when i slug hunted it was the other way around. should be good for ya. Good luck.

Oakland in the House!! I do most of my hunting east of Oakland,Carson and Macedonia area. I Grew up 4 miles east of carson and one mile south of HWY 92. :way:

Bring on 2nd season! Glad I chose to go 2nd, as I usually go 1st. Saturday looked down right miserable here. Rain, Rain, Rain.

Top Bottom