Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot Watchers

I don't have a plotwatcher but did add two Primos DPS this year. I think the plotwatcher is a little better quality but the DPS's let me try the time lapse out at half the cost.
It is amazing how much more info you can get during daylight hours than you can with a trail cam. Card size and speed seem to make a huge difference in performance, and battery life is short compared to the new trail cams. I will definitly have several time lapse cameras running from now on.

Sorry not plotwatcher specific but my .02 on time lapse cams.

The problem with the commercial "plot watcher" type of cameras is they are 3.4.or 5 megapixel cameras. You do not have the ability to zoom in on much. If you have it watching a food plot that is say 300 yards long and the critter comes out on the far end of the plot you may not have the ability to zoom in enough to tell if it is a buck or doe let alone see the mass or size of his head gear. Needs to be a 12, 14, or even a 16 megapixel camera to help in these cases.

Last edited:
The moultrei M80 and M100 have a plot stalker software but I have never used it. They have a hybrid setting you can have it do plot watching at during the day. Then an IR camera after dark.

Last edited:
The whole purpose for the plotwatcher type cameras was to get pics of critters outside the range of the PIR detector. If you can not zoom than you don't know the quality of the animal or any identifying characteristics. A cmos with a mp of less than 8 simply will not let you do it to any significant degree.

I have 2 plotwatchers and love them. I have last years model and the batteries (4 AAs) only last a week or so. I think the newer models are claiming longer battery life. I don't use them to try and ID animals that may be a long distance off, but to rather see what type of traffic is using certain fields and at what time of day. The can help ID where the deer are entering/exiting a field then you can set up traditional cams in those areas for a closer look.
I put mine out a week or so before this past turkey season and they told me when the birds were hitting certain fields. It worked like a champ!

I use mine like Buckeye does. I mainly set it on plots or fields with many possible points of entry to pinpoint which trail or direction the animal is using. They also work nice to cover a large opening that would require 2 or 3 cams to cover.
It is possible to zoom out to about 25 yards but after that just too grainy. I wouldn't use them solely but I so believe they fill a niche for me.

Cooter-
You basically said what I wanted to hear! I want a camera that "takes vidoes" but also acts a camera at night.
The idea about the turkey's is a great idea, I have never thought about it like that.
My only problem is about the battery life.

I think after Christmas is when I'll be getting one of these...hopefully.

Top Bottom