Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote pop increase?

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Anyone else notice an increase in the coyote numbers the last two years? Is has gotten crazy in our area... curious what others have seen? We've been trying the electronic calls in the mornings and I made it out once at midnight when there was a full moon and 8" of fresh snow... but nothing came in. We've shot two while deer hunting this late muzzleloader and pretty much will give up a deer hunt to shoot one of these things, they're thick.

I had more coyote pics this I than the last 3 years combined, even got a shot in very early morning (lack of) light this year.

Funny, was just telling a guy the other day how I seen more coyotes this bow season than the last 10 years combined.

I am hunting my new farm that I bought this year, sold my old one. I don't know if they are "up" because I don't know what it was like there 5 years ago BUT... There's a frigin million coyotes on my new place, way more than my old place. Amazing how many and right before dark the woods comes alive with barking.

I'm not seeing as many as before but they do all have nice coats. In years past there was alot of mangy yotes around but the last two long and cold winters have pretty much taken care of them.

Coyotes thick in MN and Iowa

I just got in from a bow hunt in MN and I saw (0) deer but heard coyotes howling and barking in every direction, must have been 8-10 different ones all within 1/4 mile of me...damn things!

While gun hunting on my 120 in December in Iowa I had two within gun range and I chose not to shoot them due to being prime time for deer, but now I wish I would have.

Sligh1 said:
I am hunting my new farm that I bought this year, sold my old one. I don't know if they are "up" because I don't know what it was like there 5 years ago BUT... There's a frigin million coyotes on my new place, way more than my old place. Amazing how many and right before dark the woods comes alive with barking.

Need help with that problem? ......got yote? :D

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

I lost my first doe of the year to them this year on the management hunt IN Davenport. They chased her down right after the shot and had her completely ruined in the hour it took me to get the big light and follow a crazy blood trail. I have seen them at the other places I hunt in town too but have not been able to get a shot at one yet.

Last edited:
No doubt LHA, I have more coyotes than I have ever seen here in the last 15 years. Never fails, every night as the deer are coming out to feed they either sound off or trot across the field and blow the deer. The other night a mangey one came out and a 140 class buck and 8 does chased it off the corn field. The worst thing is as the turkeys are going to roost, then the coyotes and bobcats go after them, turkeys go crazy, all the deer bail. Its a problem I have created though, standing corn, food plots, attracting all the deer, turkeys, rodents and birds. Of course the predators will be there too.Gonna try to put a dent in them after the 10th.LHA are you haveing the coyote problems on your place south of me?

LHA are you haveing the coyote problems on your place south of me?
Pretty much every where we hunt there is a problem with them. :rolleyes: I lost two deer to them last year and they tried eating two others we shot last year within 10 minutes of them being dead! Crazy dogs. Another yote bit the dust tonight though. Dad lip squeeked him in from 600 yds away and shot him. Sure wish I knew how to best trap yotes... :confused:

Me too, I just dont want to accidentally kill the bobcats, or the neighbors cat,... Bonker.

Ive been hunting the same place for 13 years now and haven't seen many until last year. I think they have a den close by cause I saw a lot this year in my stand and get a trail cam pic of one almost every evening. Time to take em out if you ask me.

Pretty much every where we hunt there is a problem with them. :rolleyes: I lost two deer to them last year and they tried eating two others we shot last year within 10 minutes of them being dead! Crazy dogs. Another yote bit the dust tonight though. Dad lip squeeked him in from 600 yds away and shot him. Sure wish I knew how to best trap yotes... :confused:

Snares are cheap and easy to set up, they hang high enough you dont have a lot of accidental catches, and you can rig em up to kill the yote by doing it in spots they tangle up in something or if your worried about getting the neighbors dog you can set them in reletively open areas and most of the yotes you catch will be alive when you get them.In Iowa they have to have deer stops to prevent deer from getting a leg caught in em as well.An 8 to 10 inch loop 10 inches off the ground seems to work well.

Few yrs ago a troop of yote hunters cleaned them out of my area with hounds. Did not hear one for couple yrs, but now they are back with a vengence! Need step by step,How-to on how to trap them. I know you can find help on You-tube, but would be nice here too.

They are way down where I hunt. Haven't seen any at all. I think a lot of them got some kind of disease and died. Found quite a few dead ones shed hunting and they weren't shot.

More to shoot once we get some snow....can't wait!

Same here, I am looking forward to screaming in some coyotes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We usually kill over 100 a year but we need some snow on the ground to do it. If we dont get much snow this winter the coyote numbers will explode in our area.

Snares are cheap and easy to set up, they hang high enough you dont have a lot of accidental catches, and you can rig em up to kill the yote by doing it in spots they tangle up in something or if your worried about getting the neighbors dog you can set them in reletively open areas and most of the yotes you catch will be alive when you get them.In Iowa they have to have deer stops to prevent deer from getting a leg caught in em as well.An 8 to 10 inch loop 10 inches off the ground seems to work well.

x2 :way: Once we get a little snow, shortly thereafter get out there and find some tracks (especially where they are ducking under / through a fence or a "coyote run"), set your snares, and pick them up the next day or so. We've had excellent luck doing it this way. Couple years ago, we got 17 coyotes in an area less than a quarter mile square. Heck of a lot of fun and snares are cheap!

Top Bottom