Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canning Deer Meat

BOWDUDE

I am thinking of trying a new style for next year and canning some deer meat.

Any help would be great, the only thing I know about canning is my mom canned everything when I was a kid.

So I will need to figure out size of pressure cooker I need, best size jars pints or quarts and everything else.

I will say thanks right now because I know I will get some great info.

BOWDUDE

Not sure the recipe off the top of my head but I gave some deer meat to a co-worker whose wife loves canning and it turned out great. I'll see if I can get ahold of what she did and Pm u.

We go as simple as possible and it turns out great. Pack the deer meat in, add canning salt, and a beef boullion cube. Can't get much better. Heat it up on the stove with some flour and water and you will have a nice gravy and serve over taters or rice, or add some bbq and make sammiches or tacos with it. It is amazing and the best college food ever. As far as size of jars goes, it just depends on how many people and how much food you eat in a sitting. For me I use pint but thats for me and the GF. If you're feeding more or want leftovers then go with quart.
A buddy has started adding French Onion soup mix to his jars while canning and it adds a different flavor. Can't go wrong with canned deer.

I've never done it but plan to soon. Since I cook for the wife and myself and sometimes my daughter, I plan on canning it in quart jars.

Ive canned a bunch. Have a pint pressure cooker go 70 min @ 10psi. Ive experimented with different seasonings but usually dont add anything. Makes great Stroghanoff, Enchiladas, Shredded Venison Etc Etc. My biggest problem is getting all the jars to seal. Canning is a great way to use your venison!!

We can 50 quarts a year. Basically take a quart jar, pack it full of cubed up deer meat, add some canning salt, whatever type of flavoring you want (I like Caribbean Jerk), a dab of mustard seed, and put it in a pressure cooker canner. We can do 7 quarts at a time.

Canning start to finish

Here is how my family has been working it for years. Had a bunch of friends start canning over the last couple years and everyone likes it. My wife even asked if I'd set aside one deer just to can. Will keep a long time! I've done duck and chicken also just run the chicken longer. The gravy out of this is realy good if you save the juices. Enjoy

1. Check all jars for chips on sealing surface. I like wide mouth jars, but narrow works .
2. Boil seals while preping jars/meat. Boil 2 min. let stand in hot water until time to seal jar off. Do not touch sealing surface of seal with anything. Use tongs.
3. Pack each quart jar with deer that is cut 1" across the grain approx 3/4 full. I use a funnel that is made just for this purpose.
4. Push down firmly on the meat to remove all air and put approx. 3/4 cup of beef tallow/fat on top of meat.
5. Add 1 wedge of an onion, tsp. garlic salt and tsp. pepper.
6. Wipe the lip of the jar off with strong consumeable alcohol on a paper towel. I use burbon to get the jars to seal properly.
7. Place hot seal on jar lip and tighten with seal ring.
8. Place 7 quarts in pressure canner and add 2 quarts of water to the canner.
9. Heat on high until pressure starts to register on gauge. Your target is 10 psi so once the gauge starts to move, start your timer and start to back the heat off. Once the canner is at temp it does not take a lot of heat to keep it there.
10. Cook for 75 min. for pint jars 90 min. for quart jars @ 10 psi. Remove from heat.
11. Bleed the pressure off of the canner per the instructions sent with the canner. This can be the most dangerous part of the whole process. Be careful.
12. Once the pressure is gone, remove each jar and place them on a cooling pad. DO NOT tip the jars, if you do, the juice will ruin your seal. I use tongs that are made specifically for this purpose.
13. Let the jars cool on their own. You will see them continue to cook even after they have been removed from the canner. You should also be aware as each jar cools it will "pop" as a vacuum is established within the jar. This can be verified by the lid now forming a depression on its surface. Verify that this has not changed on every jar before using it.
14. Do not place new jars of "cool" meat, ready to be heated, in previously heated water as it will cause the jars to crack. Cool it down with fresh water. I know from experience, and it's not good.

One other thing I learned was that if using a pressure cook on a flat top electric stove they can ruin the entire unit. Didn't learn this from experience, but had heard a rumor and the pressure cooking pamphlet verified that. Something to keep in mind

Top Bottom