Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed buck contest 2012- it's here!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
After all the anticipation, after our 250 day tour-bus campaign hitting all 99 counties, all the celebrity appearances, all the groupies following us around all year and after months of stock-piling your rifle ammunition for this long awaited & planned attack in the field... Ladies and Gentlemen, the Circus has come back to town.... I'd like to announce the full-swing launch of the Iowa, 2012 SHED BUCK CONTEST!!!! There's more prizes, more celebrities, a national spotlight, some famous hunters to be discovered and some FABULOUS PRIZES!!! The Board has met tirelessly since the close of last year's outstanding blood bath... We've brainstormed, focus grouped, got sponsors, tripled our membership to www.shedbucksofiowa.com, finished our 2012 calendar with big shed bucks and curvy women in bikini's- we're ready to rock, are you?!!??! Can you feel the enthusiasm, is your heart beating, can you feel the tension, pressure and excitement?!?! I sure can. Brings a tear to my eye thinking of the potential this year. :rolleyes:

Here's the contest... The Board has determined we are simply going for 1) the county will the most shed bucks killed, regardless of size of county (this was a debatable issue that had a vote of 1,920 to 1,840 in favor of simply going by county total- of all our board members). 2) Individual members with the biggest shed buck, largest weight, largest pedicles, etc. We have a complex Algorithm that will calculate all this- let us take care of that for you. *BUTTON BUCKS will be counted as 1/3rd of an entry- which, don't be discouraged.... 20-30 button bucks could add up very well for you! :way:

2 Sets of prizes. We'll have prizes for our individual entries AND we'll have prizes for a representative (an IW member) living in the winning counties.

1ST PRIZE:
Vivitar 8x50 BINOCULARS..... These are 50mm for low light and will allow our winner to better see the pedicals of our Iowa giant shed bucks. With these new optics, you'll be able to glass your quarry and target those elusive shed bucks instead of mistakenly wasting a tag on a doe...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-Classic-Series-8x50-Binoculars/17473184

2ND PRIZE:
Super Glue Gel- Tip Repair and Replacement Loctite Super Glue Gel... After you shoot that prized shed buck, most of you lucky hunters will be doing some shed hunting. After finding that trophy set of shed antlers, this strong & durable glue will be able to permanently re-attack those prized antlers to those trophy winning bloody pedicles. This glue is both blood & hair repellent- allowing for a hard & worry free bond....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuestix-T...t-Loctite-Super-Glue-Gel-with-4-gram/13869700

3RD PRIZE:
A Tin Flask filled with Old Crow Whiskey & Rambo style bullet sling/vest that holds well over 300 rounds.

CONSTELLATION PRIZES for all contestants.... The "HUSH" program provides deer for the hungry and needy... NOW... for the guys who just can't "get em all"- we've found a way to get you more deer at no cost!!!.... We are EXPANDING THE H.U.S.H. PROGRAM to be renamed "Successful Hunters Unloading Tasty Unneeded Protein" or "SHUTUP". This program will give free deer to hunters who just can't seem to mow them down or can't afford any more rifle shells or the folks that think we should have a year long deer season. Folks who are begging & shouting for the late Antlerless Season to stay because they just don't have a long enough season to fill that freezer, your problem is solved! Sponsored & supported by your local Shed Bucks of Iowa Chapter.

We need to keep this contest rocking!!! There's no reasons the masses doing the group pushes all week and weekend should stop. The challenge of 300 yard running shots is outstanding and even though rifles are not right for our gun 1 & 2 seasons, 3 weeks until February is a concept that should remain. It's SHED BUCKS OF IOWA'S current stance that we are PUSHING & supporting the efforts to keep the Rifle season open until June 1st. Why cut it short in February? We feel with enough support we can keep the season open until June- more to come and we'll need your support too! The old-school season ending of January 10th is a thing of the past and you need to join the NEW SCHOOL! This will also promote a healthier deer herd- they will be getting driven & pushed all the way into summer- providing daily exercise for our deer herd and thus, healthier/leaner meat - just to name one of many benefits. We're full of more brilliant ideas, more to come folks, stay tuned on our Shed Bucks of Iowa Legislative initiatives. In the mean time- get out there, get the Banana clips out, tune that scope for those long range shots. And keep in mind, we need to get the word out..... Unfortunately, our studies have found over 98% of the successful Shed Buck Assassins are not members of Iowawhitetail.com - our research does show they can be found at 10am to 2pm at Willy's Town Bar or Jim Bob's Grease Tavern. :drink1: Please, get the word out!

Some embarrassing truth- "yours truly" has never been clever enough to shoot a shed buck or button buck in my life BUT that's about to change this year- I plan on stacking them like Pan-Cakes this season! This contest and season is about YOU though, we want the prestige, honor and spotlight to be on you and your county!

Get the Buddies, dust off those Banana clips, get the Booze, get on the Bus & get ready to Blast! The 5 B's to success in this year's Shed Buck Contest (Buddies, Banana Clips, Booze, Buses & Blasting)!

Ricky Gervais will be hosting the Shed Buck Contest Award ceremony. We'll keep track of how this progresses, things change in a hurry- this is life in the fast lane folks- don't blink! We'll keep tabs on the counties, a little motivation for the rest of the state: our friends in NE IA are off to a STRONG START AS USUAL!!!....

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/iowadnr/harvestdata/realTimeHarvest.do

Last edited:
I'm torn now. Damn you for making the prizes so desireable..... The glue is tempting, but I'm going to be gunning for the Rambo vest this year, mine is getting pretty worn out. :way:

Yes!!! I can't believe it's finally here. I have invited the governor down to my farm to take the shed buck of his choice! Im hoping my lack of celebrity doesn't discourage a sportsman of his caliber from declining ny offer.

Skip,i must suck,double digits on does and still no shed bucks,maybe you could start a shed buck boot camp,kind of a like gene and barry wensels boot camp,full of info on how to get the big ones after they lose there antlers,i will be the first to sign up!!

Don't let LIV4RUT fool you, he is a shed buck whacking, button buck killing machine! Can we enter as a team? If so him and I got this in the bag.

I have talked to quite a few guys recently and it is amazing how many of them are grabbing the rifles and heading South. The reason, they all feel with all this talk of lower deer numbers that this may be their last chance to ever hunt Iowa again with a rifle.

I went rifle hunting down there once and actually thought it was kind of scary. We were running deer drives with guns that can shoot for miles. I thought shotgun drives were scary until I did it with rifles.

Liv4Rut said:
I have talked to quite a few guys recently and it is amazing how many of them are grabbing the rifles and heading South. The reason, they all feel with all this talk of lower deer numbers that this may be their last chance to ever hunt Iowa again with a rifle.

I went rifle hunting down there once and actually thought it was kind of scary. We were running deer drives with guns that can shoot for miles. I thought shotgun drives were scary until I did it with rifles.

Holy smokes thats scary.

Its 3 am and insomnia has kicked it again, this post didnt help after I read the 5 Bs to success! Hahahahaha

I can still hunt the late anterless with my extra tags left over from me not sliging enough led through the gun seasons correct? The best thing about the late antlerless is that you can just stomp off any small antlered bucks that accidently get shot while running Mach 6.

*100% sarcasm

I have a huge buck patterned, he has been coming to the plot about 30 minutes before dark every day for the last week. Now if only he would drop his antlers, it sucks sitting out there every evening when he shows up and he is still carrying both sides. I thought it was going to happen last night, I saw a large bodied deer coming thru the brush but when it got in the plot it was just a big doe, oh well thats hunting I guess. Thank god the state added the extra week to this season a few years back. I still have 13 more days to fulfull my dream of harvesting a 200" shed buck.

1.5 year old buck meat or 1.5 year old doe meat taste the same.... same with 4.5 year olds... A mouth is a mouth, kill em all I say. We got way too many in this state as it is, a couple more lop-eared bucks won't affect a thing.

I just sent a letter to the Gov. and asked him to consider extending this late season another few weeks into March so we can really get a crack at a completely underutilized resource. Bucks and does the same... They are especially easy to kill with a .410 after a snow... all you gotta do is track em to their beds and waylay a pile of em....

can't shoot too many

Few tidbits....
Look at how poorly in general people are at IDENTIFYING DEER- button bucks and shed bucks- as the norm. Either not caring or identifying properly...
STATEWIDE: DOES: 58257 BUCKS: 42270 BUTTON BUCKS: 11,724 SHED BUCKS (so far): 574
In general, 5 "does" are in a field, 3 will be 1.5 to mature females, 1 will be a doe fawn and 1 will be a button buck (on average let's just say- probably close to being right, possibly a little higher concentration on does than that). That's 20% of deer being button bucks to be generous. 58,257 does and doe fawns (of a doe + button buck harvest of 69,981) and 11,724 button bucks. OUR HARVEST DATA: 83% are does or doe fawns... 17% are button bucks killed out of "doe harvest". I personally think that % and # spells it out RIGHT THERE.... FOLKS ARE NOT IDENTIFYING DEER with bows, shotguns or muzzleloaders. Then we give them RIFLES until February when the bucks are losing their horns in large #'s and are very vulnerable (lower pressure for a while, recharging on food, young bucks being dumb, etc).
FOLKS IN THIS STATE ARE NOT IDENTIFYING DEER CORRECTLY- the DON'T CARE or DON'T HAVE THE KNOW-HOW, EXPERIENCE or SIMPLY MAKE MISTAKES IN DIFFICULT HUNTING SITUATIONS.

We simply have to deal with folks not identifying deer properly during bow, shotgun, etc BUT late antlerless- this season needs to go. The DNR gives tips on how to NOT shoot shed bucks and their goal is for female deer only BUT it doesn't work. The deer identification isn't working during the short range season (bow, shotgun, ML), let alone rifle hunting- often done with drives & pushes & groups of hunters.

This season is killing vast #'s of shed bucks (just wait) that have evaded hunters all season and are "wasted" on a season meant to trim down female deer.

Massive groups are not calling in their shed bucks because they want the season to stay- I've witnessed this with many groups of hunters and it's ramped how often many others hear this. So, in actuality- the shed buck kills are far far higher.

We have from Oct 1-Jan 10th to get it done. That's with a Nov gun season for does. Rifles until Feb is insanity.

Folks not seeing nearly as many mature bucks??? Maybe that's not in your neighborhood, maybe it is.... If it is, I guarantee you this season is likely to be a big cause of that: pockets or sections that got blasted the Late Antlerless season before (or several seasons) or maybe shot to many deer period. Most who see the groups see each take a handful of shed bucks after a large drive, push or weekend of blasting. Go to the lockers late Jan- look how many are really being slayed. And then add it up as one major element when you're not seeing the mature bucks you used to.

1.5 year old buck meat or 1.5 year old doe meat taste the same.... same with 4.5 year olds... A mouth is a mouth, kill em all I say. We got way too many in this state as it is, a couple more lop-eared bucks won't affect a thing.

I just sent a letter to the Gov. and asked him to consider extending this late season another few weeks into March so we can really get a crack at a completely underutilized resource. Bucks and does the same... They are especially easy to kill with a .410 after a snow... all you gotta do is track em to their beds and waylay a pile of em....

can't shoot too many

We are having our committee meeting next week to lobby the DNR & legislature to allow a June 1st end date to the season. We really could use your charisma, charm and selling skills to lobby for this. Please be there, wear the rambo bullet vest, face paint and army boots please. Glad to see we're of like minds! :D

I have a huge buck patterned, he has been coming to the plot about 30 minutes before dark every day for the last week. Now if only he would drop his antlers, it sucks sitting out there every evening when he shows up and he is still carrying both sides. I thought it was going to happen last night, I saw a large bodied deer coming thru the brush but when it got in the plot it was just a big doe, oh well thats hunting I guess. Thank god the state added the extra week to this season a few years back. I still have 13 more days to fulfull my dream of harvesting a 200" shed buck.

I like the way you think!!!! Shed traps with barbed wire? Could yank those babies off?!?!?! ..... Carefully aimed rifle, you could shoot the horns right off his head, especially if they are that big? 1 or 2 shots to the antlers, 1 kill shot, you could have the contest wrapped up by this weekend. Lucky dog!

Last edited:
liv4rut, i was just at the shop retagging up for the next 15 days of hunting,the owner said he is selling tags like crazy,because everybody is worried they will take away the beloved rifle season.i am not worried,once a season is started you will (never)i repeat never see it go away.like the old farmers in northern iowa used to say,they should just give those two bottom tiers of counties to missouri,well i think the dnr is on there way,if we could just get a rifle season on the second saturday in the rut?
now for the shed buck season, i think litchfield stated that most bucks that shed during this rifle season are 1 to 3 year olds,my field observations show this to be untrue,of the seven i have seen in the last week all were 3 year olds and up.maybe we could extend the rifle season,one more month, then most of them would be antlerless,thus more tag sales,and more fun for us all!!!

I like the way you think!!!! Shed traps with barbed wire? Could yank those babies off?!?!?! ..... Carefully aimed rifle, you could shoot the horns right off his head, especially if they are that big? 1 or 2 shots to the antlers, 1 kill shot, you could have the contest wrapped up by this weekend. Lucky dog!

Sligh1
I would be afraid the barb wire might mess up the cape and I plan on having it mounted, or hopefully I can get a replica made when I sell the original to Basspro so they can take it around the country to all the shows so we can put Iowa on the map as the best place for hunters to come for a chance at a record book shed buck. Also I don't own a rifle, I am trying to do this with my bow, nothing against the guys using rifles, but it would just mean more to me to kill this shed buck with my bow.

Top Bottom