Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed buck contest 2012- it's here!!!!

Thanks Skip, I needed a laugh this morning.......Unfortunately I agree with your sentiment of this stupid season.

Man you are passionate about this. Or crazy I can't decide. :D

I hear the fear of guys hunting with rifles and doing drives. Now that's crazy. Hunted MO once and that was enough for me.

You guys that are still seeing deer with horns on go ahead and shoot maybe they will fall off when he drops dead. If not leave him lay and pick him up later in the shed season. Or just hide him till the coast is clear....... I'm sure that never happens. :(

Sent using IW app

the worst part is generally its pretty dang cold this time of year and keeps most in their favorite bar, but with this year being warm there was a whole gaggle of interesting folks out their slinging lead. I say let them be, they've been hunted hard since october and at some point you just have to start feeling sorry for them.

I need a rules clarification. Are only shed bucks from the southern rifle zones eligible? How bout bow bucks from our city hunt that is still open. I have not been hitting it to hard as I only have my buck tag left and was only going to fill it in the off chance a very good non-shed buck gave me a shot but the one I really wanted is a half rack now. However, if I am eligible for those awesome prizes I may have rethink my strategy.

I need a rules clarification. Are only shed bucks from the southern rifle zones eligible? How bout bow bucks from our city hunt that is still open. I have not been hitting it to hard as I only have my buck tag left and was only going to fill it in the off chance a very good non-shed buck gave me a shot but the one I really wanted is a half rack now. However, if I am eligible for those awesome prizes I may have rethink my strategy.

Great question!!! All are eligible. We want to encourage shed buck hunting across the state and At any time. Unfortunatly the only group we can not accept is road kill- too many of those are killed by accident and we just can't allow that. All other shed bucks r welcome for entry!!!

I couldnt believe the deer I shot the other day was a button buck. It came in to me by itself at about 1 pm. It looked like a HUGE bodied deer. Turns out the body looked big because its head was only six inches long. Bummer.

Are there bonus points if the pedicles still have blood on them??

Skip,i think i found some guys to run the shed buck boot camp,they were spotted at the gas station,5 deer in the back of there pickup with tailgait down,4 shed bucks,just the guys we were looking for!!!!

update, these guys had polk county plates hunting in rathbun lake area.i checked appanoose shed buck counts and it only went up 2,maybe they were hunting two different counties????

Serious now or not? :confused: I hope this was part of the joking yet. :D

Unfortunately, that story is all too true!!! I went to a "LARGE" locker around late Jan last year- darn near half the deer in the (not quite but close) were shed bucks or button bucks.

Unfortunately, a larger proportion of shed bucks are killed because people are firing at the "biggest deer in the field". Happens all the time and they are getting whacked & stacked right now

never mind..insert sarcastic comment here...so quit fricking shooting does..and shed bucks...and If you do lets start the lobbying to kill more hen pheasants. Too me your in the same category

Last edited:
Thanks for the update THEBAD! You did have VB county in 1st place!!!!... That's alarming to our friends in NE IA- they USUALLY are the winners out of the gate- it took quite a while for SE to catch up last season. SE is pulling WAY AHEAD this year!!! If you're putting your $ into a betting pool, odds on SE are pretty darn good. Lot of new interest, lot of new shed buck clubs forming and some grass roots interest there. Watch out, can anyone catch em??!!??

"Hen Pheasant Season".... Holy crapola, that's frigin genius!!! Let me do some research and inquiring into this!!!.....

Guys, I think we are in way over our heads and may need help. Skip, if you are talking to the Gov , mention that he might want to open the season to non-residents. Think of the benefits; we could have an additional 6 to 10 thousand helping us control those pesky shed bucks and, just imagine the revenue. We could make it a mutually beneficial bargain....$500 for 5 shed bucks! I'm sure the nr's would come running. Besides, we all know that it wouldn't affect our future hunting because those in charge know best. Thanks for considering.....

Last edited:
I would also mention to the Gov. that we need to start introducing more cougars and wolves to Iowa. They would help clean up the ones we miss....

I was talking to my local CO today and he told me that they plan on having all of the extra doe season that they had this year again next year. Can't wait till I get to hunt all year long to see one deer.

Top Bottom