Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Des Moines Register Governor Tags Article

That's awesome!!!
I tell you what (and this is coming from a guy who has had friends get these tags!).... What really bugs me about this program, or rather- what really should bother Non-Resident's on the draw.... It used to take NR's every other year to get tags for bow. Some areas were almost every year draw. That was not that long ago.... While there was a WAITING LIST for NR's to get tags- they have this Governor Tag program to "Promote Iowa Deer Hunting"!!! Well, what happened.... The regular guy that's a NR that was waiting to come here and hunt got put on a much bigger waiting list because of all the publicity we didn't need. The publicity of this program worked and the program did what it was supposed to do- create more interest and publicity. Then, the Joe-Schmo gets screwed because instead of his 1 year wait- it's NOW 2 or even 3 years to wait for a tag.
The NON-RESIDENTS are being hurt very badly from this and they don't even realize it. They are the ones that should also support this program being discontinued. There's a lot of other reasons this program needs to go away as well. It's not needed is a very big start and it's a bunch of crap these folks get special privileges. Program needs to go away in a hurry. I kinda wish publicity about Iowa would quiet down for a few years too.
Personally, I think the TOP 2 blunders of the DNR, etc is the: LATE ANTLERLESS SEASON & GOVERNOR TAGS. We have an amazing state and the hunting here is spectacular BUT these 2 things are not good and could ultimately jeopardize our great state & hunting & opportunities for the "regular guy". The "regular guy" or "little guy" need to speak out on this and do something about it (write in, email, etc). NR's should also being writing in, emailing, etc to DNR, newspaper, Governor, legislature, etc.

After a few more years of all the does being slaughtered and button and shed bucks being killed in this bonus season nobody is going to want to come here anyway:)

Harrison, the former DNR staffer, said the country had 40 to 50 hunting shows when the program started, and now upward of 2,100. The attention Iowa gets is “special and valuable,” he said.
He has a ready answer for critics of the celebrity hunts. “My response is that (TV hosts) have an audience of half a million people. What can you do for the state?”

what can i do for the state? what does this do for the state? we are already over publicised. lets eliminate these tags, and the FIRST year that NR tags don't sell out, we can bring them back

OH MY!!! (sorry Limb). The article itself is, in my opinion, well written and even handed. The comments though…… wow, where do you even start to argue facts with opinions?

I had no idea Randy Taylor, President of the IBA was 61 years old. A fact well worth knowing if you are an insurance actuary. Randy, you are indeed and old fart with backwards thinking ways. Thanks to these “backward thoughts” the IBA has an undue influence over the legislature and the DNR. What better reason to join or renew you IBA membership? Keeping guns out of the rut is one of the most influential reasons Iowa has the quality deer that is has. THANK YOU IBA. As far as the IBA stance on Governors’ tags, it has never come to a vote of the Board of Directors only because there hasn’t been a bill to support or not support them. If the IBA was to take a stance on a bill eliminating theses tags the tags would be gone yesterday. So you ask why isn’t the IBA more proactive in ending the Governors’ tags? Politics make strange bedfellows. Some of the legislators that are staunch supporters of the IBA are also staunch supporters of the tags. Sometimes you have to hold your nose for the greater good. That may not sit well with some folks, but it is what it is, “politics”. So we need to choose our battles carefully. 75 celebrity tags or another 6,000 either sex NR tags? You decide.

Finally some press on deer hunting from the mainstream media that is helping the average guy. If I was NR I would hate the governor tags so much, like skip said now you have to wait even longer to get drawn (and I do not support an increase in NR tags). Iowa has way to much publicity now. With the numbers dwindling its just setting a lot of people up who do come here for failure too. Governor tags may have had their place when they first started, but they are doing more harm than good now. Who gives a rats azz if your Bo Jackson, wait your turn in line. Its like the popular kid in school getting to walk right up to the front of the lunch line.

I think they said these tags are sold for the same amount of money as regular NR tags.

If we are going to keep giving these tags away anyway why not make them like the auction tags, they said those tags bring an average of $6 to 10K.

So lets make these tags $5000, we will then give 1/2 the money to the DNR to use in thier budget and take the other 1/2 for them to develop programs for disabled hunters such as returning vets, and youth programs to promote hunting with-in our state.

If these kids grow up hunting whitetails and it becomes something they love it will keep them in Iowa plus help the rural areas.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
As a NR I could care less about the governors tags. Iowa is established as a big buck destination and that's not going to change. Just another 75 guys that would be in the NR pool. I think it has zero effect on my ability to draw a tag. I think Bonker is right, pick your battles wisely.

Governor Tags for Youth Tags

I don't like governor tags, and I have argued enough for increasing NR tags, but I really don't care that much anymore as I can get a buck every year (bow draw or NR antlerless tag---party hunting).

I'd like to see them replace governor tags with NR youth tags/a few buck and some doe tags at a somewhat affordable price. We have a farm in Iowa with house and shed etc... My boys would love to shoot a few does if nothing else with their bows. If I pay $2000 a year in property taxes, but my boys cannot even shoot a doe on the property with their bow every year, that is wrong in my opinion.

I have seen this done. Hasn't the IBA received a governor tag to auction in the past?

Sent using IW app

Yes we have, but the money we receive from the E-bay auction goes 50% to DNR and 50% to the IBA and that 50% is then given away to any number of charities.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Just another 75 guys that would be in the NR pool. I think it has zero effect on my ability to draw a tag.

It has impacted your ability to draw a tag. 5-10 years ago you could draw a bow tag every other year and in some zones- yearly. Now it's 2-3 years wait. You don't think that has anything to do with publicity of Iowa? When millions of folks watch these guys on TV promote Iowa (which they have to do) because of these tags? You don't think that has a huge impact?

Iowa is a destination state- in large part because of all this publicity. You remove these "JOKE TAGS" and remove a TON of spotlight from Iowa for a few years AND have all these TV guys go to other states and shine the spotlight there (say KS, OH, KY, MO)- a lot of attention will go to those states and slowly but surely, it will end up making a huge impact here. Millions of folks not seeing the IA publicity will make an impact in a few seasons alone. I personally think this IS a battle worth fighting. This is screwing thousands of NR's & adding pressure to the Residents of Iowa & creating a whole host of other problems. And, add to the fact that this is un-needed, total garbage and privileges for the elite while the "little guy" gets screwed- this is a battle that could quickly be won & we could move on.

Wasn't taking a shot at the IBA.

Just pointing out to Bow Dude that the auction thing does take place and is usually a good thing.

Sent using IW app

Cooter,
In my thread I note the auction tags and the prices they sell for, what I am saying if we are going to give governor tags to celebrities lets make them pay the same as the auction tags.

It is a deer?

Cooter,
In my thread I note the auction tags and the prices they sell for, what I am saying if we are going to give governor tags to celebrities lets make them pay the same as the auction tags.

You seriously think they are going to pay $5000 for a tag? One might sell for that as a fundraiser with a write-off or donation in mind, but no way that you sell 75 tags @ $5000 each.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
these tags fishbonker is talking about,are called conservation tags, there were 13 offered last year and they brought between 8000 and 10000 a piece.

So you ask why isn’t the IBA more proactive in ending the Governors’ tags? Politics make strange bedfellows. Some of the legislators that are staunch supporters of the IBA are also staunch supporters of the tags. Sometimes you have to hold your nose for the greater good. That may not sit well with some folks, but it is what it is, “politics”. So we need to choose our battles carefully. 75 celebrity tags or another 6,000 either sex NR tags? You decide.

Makes sense. Thanks for putting it into perspective Bonker!

What I don't get is, Iowa has so many top hunting show's based right here in the state (whitetail freaks, Midwest Whitetail, Whitetail Properties), but 85% of the Drury's hunting shows are from people that live in Iowa. Why do they keep bringing up the point that they promote the state, when some of the top shows are already based right here?

I say throw the 75 tags in the pool, and make them archery draw only for the guy that has to wait his turn. No reason a celeb should get one over a working Joe.

Look at the history of tags given out. I remember Matt Hughes got one, what exactly did he do to promote the state? If you go through the list, some of them make you really scratch your head.

Sligh, my point is the damage is done. Removing Governors tags now will do no good. Iowa has the established rep and that will not change. NR tags will always be difficult to acquire.

Top Bottom