Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

southern iowa late rifle (meatlocker) update???

earthscratcher

i stopped by my small meat locker yesterday to pick up some ground deer meat,the owner was the only one there.i asked what he thought about this season,he said he likes the money because alot of the deer are hush deer, but it is unreal how many shed bucks are brought in.there were 15 deer in the back and 6 shed bucks!!

most lockers i have stopped at usually confirmed these type of shed buck numbers,so i asked why does this not show up on the deer call in system.he stated most guys like this season and just shoot does,you do not see any antlers on any of them do you!!!

i then asked about a bigger meat locker, in the same county which had taken in 100 deer and not one shed buck or button buck,this was told to me by a guy that works there!he said they are taking in all kinds of hush deer, do the math 75 dollars paid by the state for processing plus state supplies packaging plus they get to sell the hide for 12 bucks,thats 87 bucks per deer,why would you want to tell everybody this season sucks its a hell of a money maker?

i have heard some of these locker guys are hitting it hard now,just think 87 - the 13 dollar tag, thats a hell of a good day, deer hunting,10 deer equals 740 dollars.

now i wonder how they are getting paid for these deer,heard its just by the tag,so a big shed buck could be split in half,then go by another tag and holy crap you would have two deer and that would be 148 dollars.sweet maybe we should all start up meat lockers then all the deer in southern iowa would be extint!!!!!

There's nothing more exhilerating than going after a trophy shed buck. Whack 'em and stack 'em. This is going to be a record year!

Whats the difference in shooting a buck with a rack or one that dropped its rack. I dont get it alot of ppl are on here complaining about deer numbers being down should be thankful they are shooting shed bucks not does.

I would like to know the fur buyer that is paying 12$ per hide I think that might be a stretch! I could also argue all day long about the Hush system, for one I feel it is an excuse for 75% of the hunters to go out and waylay any deer they see and and not feel bad about it. They think they are just donating to a good cause, but the truth is it is amazing how many people have tried to bring in the Hush meat they have received and tried to have it made into sausage. This may not be everywhere but the locker I work at it has been done. I would also say that 50% of the deer are fawns which you get about 20-25# of meat off of and then I think why in the world would someone shoot this deer. And in the area we are located the population of deer has dropped dramatically and it is not going to get any better anytime soon so why shoot what we ourselves do not need.
How about we do ourselves a favor as hunters and maybe go out and buy some of the doe tags and just cut them up it is the only way our children/grandchildren are going to have something to look forward to, I think a lot of people have forgot what hunting is all about!

deer hide prices where a guess by me,last year every hide i took to the furbuyer,he gave me a pair of gloves,i figured they were 6 dollars a pair and then doubled that number.sorry for that exploded figure!!

Whats the difference in shooting a buck with a rack or one that dropped its rack. I dont get it alot of ppl are on here complaining about deer numbers being down should be thankful they are shooting shed bucks not does.

Is this a serious question?:rolleyes:

Bucks

Well if you look at your shutterfly link it shows you or someone that you know posing with some nice antlered bucks. Why would you pose with a buck if you show no respect for antlers?

Yeah its a serious question. I was just wondering why it mattered you dont eat the rack.

Start posing in your photos of you displaying a large & delicious back strap. Do you have a rump roast mounted above your fireplace?
Why do you think we limit the amount of bucks- think it has anything to do with herd management, deer biology, healthy deer herd, age structure, etc? Why not just have an unlimited buck harvest??? 1-2 bucks is generally around the limit- for very good reason (do I need to explain those reasons????).... Then, after a guy or group shoots some of those bucks (the limited amount being managed by hunters and state) - they "accidentally" shoot 1-5 shed bucks for example, killing male deer that were trying to be managed by the general season. You don't see any problem here? In areas with high doe #'s- the folks who say "you can't eat horns" shoot the heck outta bucks. I'm not saying it's you BUT- I see it all the time, same guys "you can't eat horns" let 20 does past and shoot a 2.5 year old 10 point that runs out right behind all the does they passed up. The same guys rarely can go a year without getting a "buck down" and for not being able to eat horns, sure seem to shoot the heck outta them. Then, when they do shoot a nice buck- always quick to make sure they have their pictures taken with their "trophy" that they can't eat. I could go on and on with the problems- biology to deer herd and hypocrisy of the "you can't eat horns" folks and why they are far more harsh on deer management than the evil "QDM" or guys who are managing for OLD BUCKS.

The lockers are taking advantage of this late Antlerless season. There absolutely is some $ making shenanigans going on. Lot of people doing a lot of destructive things with this season- all the way from creating a poor quality deer herd (compared to when no season), hurting the "average" hunter who hunts sections with many different land owners, hurting next year opportunity, killing off bucks that are not meant to be targeted by this season, creating greed amongst many, inviting every yahoo with a rifle out to blow the dickens out a deer herd hunted from Oct 1 to now, etc, etc. It's a never ending list that MUST end by removing this season ASAP!

Well if you look at your shutterfly link it shows you or someone that you know posing with some nice antlered bucks. Why would you pose with a buck if you show no respect for antlers?
Always go out looking for a big mature doe cant keep them darn bucks from walking by me.:way:

Agreed!!! I personally think that there has been enough pressure on the deer from Oct. 1 till the 10th of Jan. that the late doe season is nonsense. I feel that the only reason it is out there is because of the desk jockey political people that are getting paid by the insurance companies like farm bureau. If you are a true outdoorsman you would fight to get this season removed!!! Stress on your deer herd this late in the season is not a good thing.

Well, earhtscratcher, looks like you got a few people stirred on this one. Think I'll just subscribe to this one..........

Fortunately and unfortunately, you need to get people "stirred" to get this message out. There's a ton RIGHT about Iowa and it's hunting BUT... This late season is really damaging and if folks aren't speaking out, making people aware and the hunters aren't taking any action against- it's gonna stay and create a ton more damage. This season IS CREATING A LOT OF DAMAGE. The thing is, it's hurting the "little guy"... Like I said earlier- it's not hurting a guy with 600 acres that knows what's he's doing- it's hurting the guy who shares hunting rights on an 80 and the 60, 120 & 100 next to it have different groups blasting the heck out of everything. That's where it's NOT UNCOMMON to see 5 shed bucks get killed out of 1 section and more does killed than needed. Leaving these "regular" areas lacking of mature bucks, bucks in general and in many cases- far too few deer. I sure hope stuff like this gets people's butt's in gear to do something and write the DNR, Governor, etc, etc. 2 issues today that really need to be addressed... This is absolutely one of the tops on this list to stop and get this season ended. January 10th needs to be the END of deer season! We need to go back to our original seasons & regulations!

Always go out looking for a big mature doe cant keep them darn bucks from walking by me.:way:

Geee, you think maybe the late antlerless season has something to do with that ? ? ?:thrwrck:
Probably hard to find a good mature doe when they have been slaughtered in january !

Also, just as I suspected, this does not really apply to you up there in CRAWFORD county....?

Last edited:
Bucks

Ah c'mon is that you posing with those nice bucks, if so, no way you are shooting the first deer that walks by you, that is completely hypocritical.

i love when people say you cant eat "horns".. so you probably should not even buy a buck tag then, just antlerless ones.

update on the hide prices,a good friend has some close hide buyer connections,he said 5 dollars for a single, and no problem getting 9 dollars out of bigger numbers,so please take 3 dollars of my figures.

Top Bottom