Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Avoiding Javelina Tag Soup

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
A buddy and I drew the archery javelina hunt for one of my buddy's favorite units SE of Kingman, AZ. His two sons have taken some amazing desert mule deer from this unit over the last few years, which is what really attracted me. Our tags are good from January 1-January 26, 2012. With my work and family schedule, I only had one weekend (this past weekend) available. The plan was to pull my daughter from school to go with us for some good father/daughter time. As fate would have it, my wife got pretty sick last week, so we had to postpone the hunt a couple of days thinking she would recover in a few days. Then I woke up feeling pretty run down the other day, my wife wasn't getting better, and I knew the hunt was off completely. I was bummed, but knew my main respsonsibilty was to my family. My daughter was extremely bummed, but I found the words and analogies to help her understand where our responsibilities are (she's going to be a GREAT person as she gets older).

As much as I was looking forward to stalking desert muleys this month, I take solice in knowing that tag is good through next December. I was able to lessen the sting of the busted javelina hunt by contacting some non-profit groups that are similar to HOAL. This morning, per AZ regs, I was able to sign my tag over to Outreach Experience 4 All (www.oe4a.org) and it sounds like the guy may have a girl all ready lined up to try and fill my tag. This group works to provide hunts for terminally ill kids, amputee kids, and kids of fallen soldiers. Missing out on the archery hunt does sting, but knowing there is a deserving child out there that can capitalize on my misfortunes is something that has me smiling from ear to ear right now.

I know this isn't anything really deserving of any accolades, but if anyone would appreciate having to give up your own hunt, but being able to help get a child out on a hunt, you all would!

Just today I was wondering how your hunt was going. While I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't go, I'm excited to hear that you were able to do this. Very cool! :way:

Just today I was wondering how your hunt was going. While I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't go, I'm excited to hear that you were able to do this. Very cool! :way:

I've been meaning to call you, but was hoping it would revolve around a BIG desert muley! Now work is keeping me swamped with no end in sight. :( Don't be affraid to call me and tell me to breathe! :way:

I also inquired about getting a left-over HAM (Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader) javelina tag for February, but, per AZ regs, you can only get 1 draw tag/year. So bring on turkey season!

Also, Wayne, why don't you bring down Trenton and Allison for a javelina hunt next year? Or at least consider sending one/both of them down! :D

Top Bottom