Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Confirmed in North Missouri

I would hate to own property or hunt in an area that CWD is found here in Iowa. The DNR's plan will be for landowners and government employees to drastically reduce the population in these areas (aka wipeout/extirpate).

I don't think it's my imagination. Hasn't virtually every CWD outbreak in wild deer been somehow linked to a captive herd somewhere?

sureshot1 said:
I would hate to own property or hunt in an area that CWD is found here in Iowa. The DNR's plan will be for landowners and government employees to drastically reduce the population in these areas (aka wipeout/extirpate).

This is why I posed the question in another thread about the correlation between CWD and land prices in southern iowa......

We can be sure the, No Feed,,No mineral,,Prospect will be front and Center Soon,,Again,,,even eyeing the Food Plots..

the purple top turnip needs to be the first to go,watched four different deer eat on the same one the other night,watched two deer eat the same ear of corn,all farming practices must stop now!!!!

kansas has cwd and still allows hunting over bait piles,they must be crazy over there,my buddy is not complaining though,he shot the biggest deer of his life, this past season!!!!

The baiting and feeding has been banned for years in Wisconsin and as far as the ajoining county to the CWD Zone. I agree with it, to help reduce the potential of spreading the disease. I only hope Iowa doesnt go the way of spanking the snot out of the does to the extent of what Wisconsin did. The worst part of the whole CWD thing is that the DNR really has no power over how a certian land owner manages his or her land. Until that comes to an end, there will always be that problem of over population in certian areas and the potential for disease to spread.

I wish the DNR would come up with some sort of incentive to land owners to allow potential hunters to hunt some of these POSTED TIGHT LANDS with agreements to the property owner that only DOES be shot. Maybe during DOE only season but give those property owners something to let others in to help with herd control.

As far as food plots...I see that coming to a head in the future as well. Specialized food plots but they will never be able to curtail a land owner from leaving a corn or bean field from standing as an attractant. The DNRs hands are tied somewhat. Ultimately it is up to the Land Owners to Cooperate for the better good of the deer heard.

Oh, and I know some people will be upset with this, but IMO.....ALL HIGH FENCE OPERATIONS Less than 1000 acres should be eliminated. THey need to have a very strick management plan and testing plan in place if they are to exist. THERE IS NO NEED FOR A HIGH FENCE OPERATION IN THE MIDWEST or anywhere for that matter. Hell if you have a 1000 acres fenced in, really why?? GREED!!!! Be done with them. SORRY...done with that..I think you all know where I stand.

Do you guys honestly think that the state could or would ban you from planting and growing something (food plot, not pot) on your own land?

Get a grip.

Keep in mind, this is not a communist country.

Earlier post was a joke I guess a couple of you didn't get. :drink1:

Yes I certainly do think a Ban on Food Plots will come,,especially if the disease is found. Difficult to enforce of coarse, with Farming, but will be a target non-the less! That is why think I'll plant another pear and apple tree this spring. Coarse they could somehow make those illegal too I guess.

The baiting and feeding has been banned for years in Wisconsin and as far as the ajoining county to the CWD Zone. I agree with it, to help reduce the potential of spreading the disease. I only hope Iowa doesnt go the way of spanking the snot out of the does to the extent of what Wisconsin did. The worst part of the whole CWD thing is that the DNR really has no power over how a certian land owner manages his or her land. Until that comes to an end, there will always be that problem of over population in certian areas and the potential for disease to spread.

I wish the DNR would come up with some sort of incentive to land owners to allow potential hunters to hunt some of these POSTED TIGHT LANDS with agreements to the property owner that only DOES be shot. Maybe during DOE only season but give those property owners something to let others in to help with herd control.

As far as food plots...I see that coming to a head in the future as well. Specialized food plots but they will never be able to curtail a land owner from leaving a corn or bean field from standing as an attractant. The DNRs hands are tied somewhat. Ultimately it is up to the Land Owners to Cooperate for the better good of the deer heard.

Oh, and I know some people will be upset with this, but IMO.....ALL HIGH FENCE OPERATIONS Less than 1000 acres should be eliminated. THey need to have a very strick management plan and testing plan in place if they are to exist. THERE IS NO NEED FOR A HIGH FENCE OPERATION IN THE MIDWEST or anywhere for that matter. Hell if you have a 1000 acres fenced in, really why?? GREED!!!! Be done with them. SORRY...done with that..I think you all know where I stand.

So a guy that has 1,000 acres and decides to fence it in with a high fence and raise emus is greedy???? Or does greed only come if its whitetails?:confused:

It absolutely sickens me that the MDC (DNR) in Missouri wants to take 600 deer from a 40 mile radius around where the two deer were found YET they say the Heartland Wildlife Reserve (at the center of this) falls under the USDA and there isn't a whole lot they can do about it. This farm has tested positive on more than one occasion and they bring deer in from local farms just so a hunter can shoot it. I was told this from someone who used to work there. I live 2 miles up the road from the ranch and trailers come and go with deer and elk all hours of the day and night. How naive or stupid can the MDC and USDA be? You can't prevent CWD if these people keep bringing deer in that have it! As a hunter, landowner and concerned citizen, I am just pissed beyond belief!

That would be pretty interesting.

What if the landowner did not want you on their land?

Didn't they have problems with the Elk in NE. Iowa?

I don't think they have shot them all yet?

That would be pretty interesting.

What if the landowner did not want you on their land?

Didn't they have problems with the Elk in NE. Iowa?

I don't think they have shot them all yet?

Risto,

I'm not sure what would happen if landowners didn't want the deer being killed off their land, however, there are many areas across this state that are highly managed and I know for a fact the landowners would be against having deer killed, however, I'm not sure if they would have much of a choice.

All that I know is that the IDNR's management plan if CWD is found is to severly lower the deer population in that area. There wasn't much more said on the topic when I heard this, but that's a great question.

The Farm Bureau is probably praying they find CWD in southern Iowa. A dream come true! Finally,,they can have all the "Brown Rats", killed!

I have a question, what is cwd? I know it stands for cronic waisting disease, but what is it? What does it do? How can you spot it? I hunt alot in southern iowa and i know nothing about cwd.

It seems inevitable that CWD will eventually be found in every state since there doesn't seem to be a way to eradicate it and game ranches are still allowed to operate.

Hasn't CWD been in Colorado and other western states for 30 - 40 years?

I hope I'm wrong but I think that at some point, we're just going to have to live with it like they have been doing out west.

The Scientists are still debating as to what the heck it is. Some say it is some kind of rougue protein that attacks the brain- a Prion- they call it. I read somewhere recently a expert is saying maybe it actually is some form of bacteria. I do agree it just is inevitable it will be found in Iowa. Like it has been in so many other states. The question is,,what will."Officials", do about it? Like other states I fear will be rash Panic, Lock down on all supplemental feed-mineral of any kind,,,even:"Food Plots" will be suspect, Heck,.,dig up those fruit trees, fruit is shared under them,nose to nose,,Also,,Got to thin the numbers down,,I mean really thin them. It is all coming I think,,only a matter of time. Cure worse than the problem, and after all that,,,it,,will still be around.

Top Bottom