Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In the mood for a black rifle need help

just bought a rock river today. will be picking up tomarrow, because i had to buy in illinois, as i could not find one east of des moines.

Worked out good though because the guy i bought it from used to work at rock river and had access to all parts, so i got to completly custumize it from stock to muzzle tip.

Ended up spending more than planned, but got a kick@#% gun.

Like I said I don't see me shooting much ammo so cost per round is not a big factor for this gun what do you guys think about the 6.8 SPC ?

Another vote for Rock River Arms. I have the Varmint EOP in .223 with a 20" barrel. LOVE LOVE LOVE this gun. Tack driver out of the box.

Another vote for Rock River Arms. I have the Varmint EOP in .223 with a 20" barrel. LOVE LOVE LOVE this gun. Tack driver out of the box.
Sounds like our guns are brothers....I have the same setup. Mine has a Bull Barrel...I think yours is the heavy barrel if I remember right from your harvest pic?
I think we might have to have a "show us your black rifle" thread. :way:

Sounds like our guns are brothers....I have the same setup. Mine has a Bull Barrel...I think yours is the heavy barrel if I remember right from your harvest pic?
I think we might have to have a "show us your black rifle" thread. :way:

Yeah I have the heavy barrel. The gun is heavy, but the Harris bipod takes care of that problem. I agree with the black gun thread. Who's gonna get us started? :way:

Travis,for what your wanting i would go with the 6.5 grendel,i have 2 one is a christensen arms, the other is a accurate and reliable rifles upper built in des moines.these guns are built on ar-15 frames instead of ar-10 frame which is a liitle heavier.

hornady is manufacturing the ammo in 123 grain amax pills,they are 18.50 a box,when purchased by the case.the 6.8 and 6.5 are comparable until longer range then the grendel takes over.the grendel has very little recoil and is a very accurate round.

I think 243 would be a great overall round. Plus ammo is easy to come by. But you could just get a couple of them cuz you cant have too many!

ForumRunner_20120214_090614.jpg

leupold mark AR

I had this scope in 3-9 x 40 with the mil dot reticle on my 16" DPMS bull and LOVED it. I highly recommend:way: I've since got rid of the gun b/c I was not reloading and did not want to pony up for the match grade shelf ammo since I was only shooting on a 100 yard range.

Would have liked to keep the gun....but couldn't justify two AR's...especially one that I wasn't going to shoot that much anymore (the bull). I'm really happy with what I have now since my AR shooting is most just range time anyhow.

I'm now running an 'M4' type with irons only. Though, I do plop on a mini red dot from Primary Arms from time to time. I honestly just enjoy shooting 150-200 rounds of cheap wolf with irons through it on a weekend. The irons on AR's are great. I use a 'chopped carry handle' for my rear iron....you can view how to make one from a carry handle on youtube. I've kept this rifle pretty bare bones b/c that's how I like my AR's. I wanted it to stay light so I have very few accessories hanging off it.

For actual hunting I decided on a Rem700 in .243. Just personal preference to have a bolt gun for hunting. This will be my varmins up through deer gun. It's going to be taken on an antelope trip this year...so that was my justification to buy the gun.

hornady is manufacturing the ammo in 123 grain amax pills,they are 18.50 a box,when purchased by the case.the 6.8 and 6.5 are comparable until longer range then the grendel takes over.the grendel has very little recoil and is a very accurate round.
I about pulled on a 6.8 spc this afternoon and I think you just helped me make my decision I've read alot of good things about the grendel in the past week. No one I asked ever shot one I wanted to know about the recoil this helps. Thanks :way:

If your not going to shoot alot of rounds i would go with the .243wssm. Ive got pretty close to 2k in mine. Love it and def puts the hammer and the yotes. Also have a RRA coyote carbine and love it with the 16" barrel. Had a RRA predator pursuit but wasn't happy with it. Shot very accurate but only liked heavy slow bullets

I cannot complain about mine in .223. I think it'll do pretty much what you need a varmint rifle to do. .223 is also popular in bolt guns as well. If you plan on only hunting up to coyote/fox sized game .223 is the way to go for ammo expense.

But, many states require a .23 or .24 minimum cal for deer sized game. Not saying .223 won't take down a deer...but that's the states requirements. If you don't want another gun larger...the .243 wssm is probably a good way to go. Or 6.8 SPC.

I personally don't mind having other guns and prefer to hunt with a bolt gun. My AR is mostly a range today and SHTF type of gun. But AR's are great for hunting and quick follow up shots.

Travis,

Before you pull the trigger look at Bushmaster's line of ARs. They are top notch, have shot a couple now that buddies have bought and out of the box with no scope we were driving tacks. I have shot the Varminter and the .308, both are rock solid. If and when I do pull the trigger on one it will be a bushmaster.

Kratz

I own and had built several ar-15's and have yet to shoulder a better varmint gun than the new Les Bare super varmint in a .223 cal and a 1/9 twist in the barrel along with a night force 12x42 is AWESOME :)

I bought a RRA ATH Carbine and love it. The collapsible stock allows the kids being able to shoot it well without the reach of the standard stock length. I did put an Aimpoint comp M4 red dot sight on it for the quick shot option and kids like it cause if the dot is on it, the shots gonna hit it.

ForumRunner_20120219_093106.jpg

Top Bottom