Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wet soils

Kansas30

I have about 6 acres of very fertile river bottom on my farm. I am taking it out of crops because it seems to get flooded out every 3-4 years. Any suggestions on what I could plant here that would be good for the deer and still survive occasional standing water?

Thanks in advance.....

If any of it is within 180 ft of the river bank, enroll it in the Riparian Buffer (CP22) CRP program, and plant it to shrubs with possibly some bur oak or swamp white oak, depending on the specific soil type. You would get cost sharing to plant the shrubs/trees (possibly up to 90%), an annual rental payment, and possibly a $150 sign up bonus.

Check with you local NRCS office for eligibility.

Just plant it with a late crop after the wet sping weather is over when the river SHOULD be staying out of the fields. Plany turnips, radishes, oats, rye, etc during the correct times in July/Aug/Sept. Even if it does flood, you won't be out a whole lot if it doesn't survive a late season rise in water (which usually doesn't last long) as much of those types of seeds are cheap.

Just plant it with a late crop after the wet sping weather is over when the river SHOULD be staying out of the fields. Plany turnips, radishes, oats, rye, etc during the correct times in July/Aug/Sept. Even if it does flood, you won't be out a whole lot if it doesn't survive a late season rise in water (which usually doesn't last long) as much of those types of seeds are cheap.

I agree... put in a fall planting of an annual and you will have a great food source for hunting and winter. With 6 acres, I would try to plan 3 different options and rotate them accordingly each year. That way you can hold deer throughout the fall and winter.

Top Bottom