Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

Do you spray the atrazine as soon as you plant or wait for it to grow a few inches? Is atrazine generally avaialble at co-ops?

Atrazine available at any co-op but u need a restricted use permit. Or any farmer can do it for u. I would spray right when u plant it. No question.

Paul how hard is it to breakup the stalks the following year for replanting as I only have a ATV and ATV disc ?

Do you have a mower Tom? If you could shred it first it's not to bad...I run the brush cutter over it and then till it under. The stalks are not as tough as corn but might be a little tough to disc under with a light disc alone...;)

Do you have a mower Tom? If you could shred it first it's not to bad...I run the brush cutter over it and then till it under. The stalks are not as tough as corn but might be a little tough to disc under with a light disc alone...;)

Yes I have a mower. Never thought of mowing to chop it up. Thanks Paul

I want to plant some EW for screens in a couple spots that existing hay fields. The EW screw will be about 10ft wide. When should I sprayed the area to kill the current grass before discing? April or late March? I am in syracuse, ny

I want to plant some EW for screens in a couple spots that existing hay fields. The EW screw will be about 10ft wide. When should I sprayed the area to kill the current grass before discing? April or late March? I am in syracuse, ny

Plant EW in early summer when temps have really warmed up, probably in early June in your area so allow the area to green up well and then spray in early may perhaps for best results :way:

I've heard that EW seed is going up along with sorghum seeds so just FYI Aaron at Iowa-Missouri Hybrids in Keosauqua has EW seed and he will sell/ship it by the pound his Ph is 319-293-3114...

6#'s per acre will do the trick so regardless of where you order it...I would get your seed bought soon....;)

I just looked at the EW thread and that looks like just what I need. I'll get some ordered and plant as soon as it warms up a bit. Then I'll look into NWSG next year after a fall kill. Thanks again.

I just looked at the EW thread and that looks like just what I need. I'll get some ordered and plant as soon as it warms up a bit. Then I'll look into NWSG next year after a fall kill. Thanks again.

I think you'll be happier with results

April 15th, 2012

Egyptian Wheat is a warm weather crop that thrives in the heat of summer and really prefers limited moisture versus too much rain. Planting then is best done in very late May thru the first part of July depending on where you live. I planted July 1st thru the 5th last year and we received not a drop of rain for 60 days yet 95% of the plantings did amazingly well.

The object of EW is to provide screens or create funnels in most cases which means it's planted in the same spots repeatedly and usually along side a growing permanent tree screen of some type of conifers.

In this case we planted the EW screen last summer and have red cedar seedlings going in the ground next so i tilled under the stalks to make tree planting easier.

2012-04-10_10-08-17_760.jpg

We have a wide enough area to allow for two rows of cedars yet continue to plant EW while they are growing

2012-04-10_10-22-37_571.jpg

Where possible I prefer to have two strips....one to be planted in cover crops and the other in EW to allow a rotation. 2 years ago EW was on the left side of the tree tubes and a year ago it was on the right side.

2012-04-14_15-02-46_21.jpg

this year I'll rotate back to the "green" side where winter rye is growing now.

2012-04-14_15-17-18_496.jpg

This spring I'll till under the EW stalks and plant oats and berseem clover, then till it under and plant rye this fall ...then rotate back to EW next year. The rotations help keep disease and pest problems at bay and allow us to get some nitrogen and organic matter tilled into the soil.

EW performs best with 100-200#'s of urea per acre and sowed at 6#'s per acre. Cooper and Hancock seeds handle EW and
Iowa-Missouri Hybrids will ship small or large quantities of EW seed...call Aaron Palm at 641-919-1695 to order ;)

I got my EW the other day, My local feed store raked me over the coals. They didn't stock the EW and ordered it for me, I thought the owner told me around $50 but it ended up being $121 for 50#. I wish i would have just ordered by the pound from Missouri Hybrids. They called me back ASAP after calling them, they were real nice and informative even after I didnt order anything.

So anyway, if anyone needs some EW and wants to help dig me out the hole I made. PM me:drink2:

Do you have any plans to get your EW in the ground early this year Paul? I know we are ahead of schedule in SE Iowa but not sure how that relates to planting time with EW.

Dan

great plains

I have a great plains drill. Its 7 foot with 7.5" spacing. Has anyone planted Egyptian wheat with a drill like this? I have the small seed box on the planter also. I plan on tilling first cultipacking and drilling last. Any ideas on what drive type I should run at and what the seed rate indicator should be at? Thanks

I have a great plains drill. Its 7 foot with 7.5" spacing. Has anyone planted Egyptian wheat with a drill like this? I have the small seed box on the planter also. I plan on tilling first cultipacking and drilling last. Any ideas on what drive type I should run at and what the seed rate indicator should be at? Thanks

I just bought an 8' GP no-till drill and I'll be using it to sow the EW seed also so I'll keep you posted. It's going to be somewhere between milo/sorghum seed and millet on your settings. At only 6-8#'s per acre the setting will be fairly low. ;)

Top Bottom