Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot "Ole Raspy"

KPM

Life Member
forum
forum
First off congrats to all who have filled tags in this unusual spring.
This year has been an unusual spring for me. I had shoulder surgery in Jan. and couldn't pull my bow when season rolled around so I borrowed a crossbow and got a temp permit to use it. After shooting it a little I was not impressed with the accuracy of it and wished I could use my bow, but made the most of it. I figured that I would need to get them in close to make it feel like I was archery hunting and the confidence I had in it. I had several birds in gun range 35-50yds, outside of my comfort zone with the Xbow. Finally the Saturday of 2nd season I had a bird that I was after last year show up and come in to 15yds and I didn't drop him in his tracks. He flew off to a brush pile and tumbled and landed and managed to make it into the tangled mess. I figured I would wait him out and recover him later only to have 2 coyotes come thru the field and head right to the brush pile not long after I shot him. After I waited for the other birds to leave the field and I went to the brush pile and started looking and only found a lot of feathers. I was a little mad at this time that my tom was either ran off or drug off by the yotes. After a couple of hours of searching I gave up. The next day I tried for a head shot on a bird that would only come to about 35yds from the blind or decoys and just missed his neck. I was getting a little irritated of the birds that would skirt my setups just out of my range. I had this 1 tom I call Ole Raspy since he sounds real deep and gravely and can be picked out rather easy from the rest. He gave me the slip a number of times and I bought a 4th season tag, which I haven't for atleast 10yrs now and carried my old 870. When I had him come in and start to walk away I put the Xbow down and picked up the shotgun and dropped him. He weighed21#6oz 1 5/16" & 1 3/8" and 11.5" beard. I did have a close encounter with a badger at about 5ft and I did win, but all the commotion wrecked my hunt. I ended up shooting a tom after I discovered that the scope mount was loose and I got it zeroed in. He weighed 18.75# 11.5" 1 3/16" spurs on the last morning with the Xbow.

Last edited:
Good job Kelly! Where did you shoot "Old Raspy", on your place north of me? I had heard one, several mornings, during the first part of the season like that.

I shot him on the other farm. The 2nd bird I shot did come on the place north of you and he did have a little deeper gobble than the rest but not like raspy.

Top Bottom